Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Replacing old main drain pipe

Attached Thumbnails
Replacing old main drain pipe-drain01-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Attached Thumbnails
Replacing old main drain pipe-drain01-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mail Man Bob" wrote in message

I assume you've designed this so as not to have to dig up the patio? Can I
also assume you've used 45° angles so as not to have any hard corners
affecting the outflow of waste?

I have pretty much zero plumbing experience but I have to ask. Why not use
larger pipe exiting the basement wall, put in a 90° pipe angle still using
larger pipe and then when it's just passed the patio, adapt one 45° angle
to connect pipe to the old drain pipe connecting to the city system? Seems
like there'd be fewer angles to me.

Also one other question. The old drain pipe ran straight out of the basement
with out any angles. Are you not adding a 90° you're trying to avoid right
there at your first connection in the basement? Have you mapped out how all
the pipe is run in the basement floor? Seems like there might be a few more
options available to you, at least when it comes to the angles of pipe
you're planning to use.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
I have pretty much zero plumbing experience but I have to ask. Why not use
larger pipe exiting the basement wall, SNIP

I've been lead to believe that the trend is actually to smaller diameter
waste pipe which better accommodates the new 1.6 (and less) gallon toilets
that have been mandated. The theory, I think, is that you get a better
"push" with the with the smaller volume of water in a smaller diameter (say
three-inch) waste pipe.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'm not a plumber..........but I did have to replace the terra cotta pipe
(that stuff is worth less than the poop that is going down it) going from my
house to the city street interceptor line. I assume that you are having to
replace it because of tree roots and/or collapse as I did. I would be
willing to bet that the line under the patio is just fine and dandy unless
you have done "tests" and determined that this is not the case. There are
rubber (or some other suitable material) collars that connect good terra
cotta to PVC. Seems like the solution is to start digging at the patio edge
and replace all pipe from there to the interceptor (or to a point you deem
is appropriate).

Just my "shade tree" $.02........

--
Best regards,
Mark Daughtry, SR

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mail Man Bob,

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.maxlinerusa.com/

You can view the video from This Old House as well as Maxliner's
installation process there. What I like about it is that they use a video
camera to determine the existing condition of the drain pipes, both before
and after the repair. It seems to me that the old "pipe" also serves as
limited protection for the new one, which should be as good as any new
plastic pipe that would be installed if you choose to trench and replace the
existing one.

I have no experience with this product, but had considered using it or a
similar one, when I suspected that I had serious drain line issues. It turns
out that it was not the case.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.

Peter.