Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default 3 Step Steps Stool

It seems that a wood worker would have built one as one of his first
projects. Well, I have not, not for personal use. I have built several in
the past for customers but with spare time on my hands and a Domino loose
tennon joiner waiting for it's first project I decided to build one for
"our" house.
I used a rather unique Oak that I have in the storage shed, called
Rustic Oak by the saw mill. It is a white oak but is a medium shade of
brown with lots of very dark brown streaks. This wood has lots of character
so IMHO the step stool is not so plain looking.
I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall. My wife calls
me a lot to get things down, maybe not so much any more. ;~)

Attached Thumbnails
3 Step Steps Stool-step-stool-rustic-oak003-medium-jpg  3 Step Steps Stool-step-stool-rustic-oak001-medium-jpg  3 Step Steps Stool-step-stool-rustic-oak002-medium-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:01:39 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

It seems that a wood worker would have built one as one of his first
projects. Well, I have not, not for personal use. I have built several in
the past for customers but with spare time on my hands and a Domino loose
tennon joiner waiting for it's first project I decided to build one for
"our" house.

Very cool.

Are you and Charlie on Festool's payroll, or what? G

I was in Coastal Tool on Tuesday, and I ran my hand down the stack of
Domino Systainers...

Must... fight... the... pull...

The problem is this: I have an oak staircase to finish, 800 ft/sq of
flooring to install (AFTER I tear out the carpet, pad, and staples!),
a newell post to build, railings and uprights to install, as well as
three piece baseboard, oak doors, and new window sills and trim to
install everywhere the flooring is going.

I MIGHT be able to build my next piece of furniture in November.

Thanks to you guys, I'm wanting to buy a Domino NOW! G

When I'm done, if I eBay my really nice Porta-Nails 421 pneumatic
flooring nailer, as I'll be done with flooring my house, I can have a
decent down payment on the Domino, but you guys are totally sucking me
in, NOW! G
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote in message

decent down payment on the Domino, but you guys are totally sucking me
in, NOW! G

Bullfinch's Mythology, with regards to sirens, to the contrary, the call of
the Domino is a much greater force.

How do I know? I own a damn Multi-Router and still find I must wax my ears
and tie myself to the mast.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall.

Great looking piece!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It seems that a wood worker would have built one as one of his first
projects. Well, I have not, not for personal use. I have built several
in the past for customers but with spare time on my hands and a Domino
loose tennon joiner waiting for it's first project I decided to build one
for "our" house.
I used a rather unique Oak that I have in the storage shed, called
Rustic Oak by the saw mill. It is a white oak but is a medium shade of
brown with lots of very dark brown streaks. This wood has lots of
character so IMHO the step stool is not so plain looking.
I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall. My wife calls
me a lot to get things down, maybe not so much any more. ;~)

That is a beauty Leon.

My wife says that the reason she married me is because I am tall.

Any construction details you want to share with us? How many little tenons
did you and the Domino put into this project? And where did you put them
in?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:34:13 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in message

decent down payment on the Domino, but you guys are totally sucking me
in, NOW! G

Bullfinch's Mythology, with regards to sirens, to the contrary, the call of
the Domino is a much greater force.

How do I know? I own a damn Multi-Router and still find I must wax my ears
and tie myself to the mast.

A man who understands...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:
It seems that a wood worker would have built one as one of his first
projects. Well, I have not, not for personal use. I have built several in
the past for customers but with spare time on my hands and a Domino loose
tennon joiner waiting for it's first project I decided to build one for
"our" house.
I used a rather unique Oak that I have in the storage shed, called
Rustic Oak by the saw mill. It is a white oak but is a medium shade of
brown with lots of very dark brown streaks. This wood has lots of character
so IMHO the step stool is not so plain looking.
I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall. My wife calls
me a lot to get things down, maybe not so much any more. ;~)

When I first read your post in rw, I thought you said no piece
of wood over 3 INCHES long. I couldn't wait to look at the
photos.

Because of my expectations, I was a little let down. Still,
it is a fine looking step stool.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
[...]

======All very fine; but, can it fold up? *G*

Leif

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Very cool.

Are you and Charlie on Festool's payroll, or what? G

If we are Charlie is getting paid a lot more than me. ;~)

I was in Coastal Tool on Tuesday, and I ran my hand down the stack of
Domino Systainers...

Must... fight... the... pull...

Cool Stuff.

I MIGHT be able to build my next piece of furniture in November.

Bummer

Thanks to you guys, I'm wanting to buy a Domino NOW! G

Huh!

When I'm done, if I eBay my really nice Porta-Nails 421 pneumatic
flooring nailer, as I'll be done with flooring my house, I can have a
decent down payment on the Domino, but you guys are totally sucking me
in, NOW! G

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall.

Great looking piece!

Thank you.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

That is a beauty Leon.

Thank you Lee.

My wife says that the reason she married me is because I am tall.

;~)

Any construction details you want to share with us? How many little
tenons did you and the Domino put into this project? And where did you
put them in?

I have a drawing, but if you can go with rough dimensions, 22" tall, 16"
wide, and 16" deep.
I put in a lot of the smallest tennons to help join the narrow boards to
form the step tops and sides. Each step is 2 pieces of wood and each 1/3
section on the sides is 2 pieces of wood. The 3 side sections have 2 to 3,
6mm tennons to reinforce each 1/3 of the side and the 5 skirts/rails each
have a 10mm tennon on each end.
The step tops were screwed on from the top and plugged.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Leon wrote:

When I first read your post in rw, I thought you said no piece of wood
over 3 INCHES long. I couldn't wait to look at the photos.

Because of my expectations, I was a little let down. Still, it is a fine
looking step stool.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Ok, ;~) If you look closely enough you will find 23 pieces of wood, not
counting the plugs on the top of the steps.

And uh, Thank you!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
======All very fine; but, can it fold up? *G*

Leif

LOL. Nope. And to be honest, it is kinda heavy. This Rustic Oak stuff is
very heavy. The stool weighs 21 pounds. Fortunately it is very well
balanced if you pick it up by the top step front skirt with the back against
your leg.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
It seems that a wood worker would have built one as one of his first
projects. Well, I have not, not for personal use. I have built several
in the past for customers but with spare time on my hands and a Domino
loose tennon joiner waiting for it's first project I decided to build one
for "our" house.
I used a rather unique Oak that I have in the storage shed, called
Rustic Oak by the saw mill. It is a white oak but is a medium shade of
brown with lots of very dark brown streaks. This wood has lots of
character so IMHO the step stool is not so plain looking.
I decided upon a 3 step Shaker style stool because our house has 10'
high ceilings and some of the kitchen cabinets are 8' tall. My wife calls
me a lot to get things down, maybe not so much any more. ;~)

Got to actually see this piece in person last evening and it is _much_ more
gorgeous than it appears on abpw.

My first impression that was that it reminded me of a well finished, natural
pecan, only nicer.

That is some of the prettiest wood I've ever laid eyes on, and the
workmanship does it justice!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07