Segmented Bowl

Old April 25th 07, 05:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Segmented Bowl

I finished this segmented bowl last week. It's maple and purpleheart,
finished with extra blond shellac. I didn't quite get the shape I was
hoping for, but I had very little wiggle room or I'd lose the scalloped
effect and just have a solid band of purpleheart.

I think next time I'll maybe do the spacers between the scalloped
segments differently. Probably laminate some really thin maple &
purpleheart. I'll also put a solid band of purpleheart above the
scallop layer. I think that would look good.

It was the first time I'd tried that pattern, so I was shooting in the
dark a bit. Next one should work out a bit better. I hope. But
overall I'm not dissatisfied...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Attached Thumbnails
Segmented Bowl-maple_purpleheart1-jpg  Segmented Bowl-maple_purpleheart2-jpg
Old April 25th 07, 07:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
[...]

All are very nice Kevin. I bet the scalloped purple heard would look good
on top.

Old April 25th 07, 02:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

The cannister and bowl are both beautiful!

Old April 28th 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

tdup2 wrote:
Both are beautiful. I'm mystified! How did you get the purpleheart on the
outside and not the inside? Are those laminated pieces in between?

Tim

Thanks Tim. It was pretty easy actually. I've attached a photo of
another segment ring that I'm working on. It's purpleheart with a maple
'scallop' - the opposite of the bowl I posted but the idea is the same.
It's also much smaller - it'll be a sugar canister or some such.

Essentially the 'scallop' wood is sandwiched between two pieces of the
primary wood. In the case of the bowl that was maple. Since the vessel
is cut at an angle you expose the sandwiched piece creating the scallop.
But since there's a piece of maple on either side of the purpleheart
center, you only see maple on the inside. Assuming you don't cut too
deeply! g

To make the purpleheart come all the way through on the maple bowl I
simply put spacers between the segment joints. I didn't do that on the
attached photo, but if I had, to get the same effect they would be
maple. Hope that makes sense...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Attached Thumbnails
Segmented Bowl-img_3839-jpg
Old April 29th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Kevin Miller" wrote

To make the purpleheart come all the way through on the maple bowl I
simply put spacers between the segment joints. I didn't do that on the
attached photo, but if I had, to get the same effect they would be
maple. Hope that makes sense...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

**delurk**
All I can say is WOW!
They are all so beautiful.

I used to live in Alaska.... Ninilchik, Soldotna, Kenai then Anchorage.
It was a great time back then.
Have you been there a long time?

Kate

Old April 30th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kate wrote:

All I can say is WOW!
They are all so beautiful.

I used to live in Alaska.... Ninilchik, Soldotna, Kenai then Anchorage.
It was a great time back then.
Have you been there a long time?

All my life. Except for college, and a year in Israel. No place I'd
rather be. But don't tell anyone - it's already getting too crowded! g
Old April 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kate wrote:

All I can say is WOW!
They are all so beautiful.

I used to live in Alaska.... Ninilchik, Soldotna, Kenai then Anchorage.
It was a great time back then.
Have you been there a long time?

All my life. Except for college, and a year in Israel. No place I'd
rather be. But don't tell anyone - it's already getting too crowded! g

I'm sure it is...
Too many people go to a place like Alaska, then try to change it.

I've enjoyed looking at your work

Kate

Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing Greg G. Woodturning 24 February 15th 06 05:08 PM
Segmented Pot Greg G. Woodturning 5 January 28th 06 04:44 AM
Segmented Turning Ron Headon Woodturning 5 November 30th 05 04:52 PM
first segmented bowl! DJ Delorie Woodturning 4 August 18th 05 05:35 AM
Segmented Bowl Glue Line Creep Ken Vickery Woodturning 2 September 20th 03 02:38 PM