TDUP

Default Delta 14" Lathe troubles

I bought a 14" Delta lathe last March and haven't used it very much at all.
There is a rattling sound and vibration seems to be coming from the enclosed
pulley under the cover. I took the back off and ran it at different speeds
and the noise is worse at the lower speeds. I'm thinking a bearing is going
by the pulley under the yoke. The pulley on that side is hot to the touch
after running it a few minutes.

Anyone have suggestions???

Thanks,
Tim

Dan Valleskey

You are still under warrenty-? Why ask us- take it back.

Those lathes (1440 Iron Bed) are not the best tool Delta ever made.

-Dan V.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:27:18 -0500, "TDUP"
wrote:

I bought a 14" Delta lathe last March and haven't used it very much at all.
There is a rattling sound and vibration seems to be coming from the enclosed
pulley under the cover. I took the back off and ran it at different speeds
and the noise is worse at the lower speeds. I'm thinking a bearing is going
by the pulley under the yoke. The pulley on that side is hot to the touch
after running it a few minutes.

Anyone have suggestions???

Thanks,
Tim

dfjgd

When you say the pulley under the cover I am thinking you mean the pulley
that is driving the lathe spindle. If so check the grub screws that lock
the pulley to the spindle. What you describe has me thinking they may be
loose; you'll need an allen key. If a bearing has gone you'd feel heat in
the casting for the bearing race.

"TDUP" wrote in message
I bought a 14" Delta lathe last March and haven't used it very much at

all.
There is a rattling sound and vibration seems to be coming from the

enclosed
pulley under the cover. I took the back off and ran it at different speeds
and the noise is worse at the lower speeds. I'm thinking a bearing is

going
by the pulley under the yoke. The pulley on that side is hot to the touch
after running it a few minutes.

Anyone have suggestions???

Thanks,
Tim

Pepperandsassy

Tim,
I have a 12" Jet lathe that rattled and the drive pulley was very warm. I found
that the sheet metal cover over the pulley/belt area was rubbing against the
pulley. by adding some shims between the metal cover and the lathe body the
heat and vibration went away. Hope this helps.
Bill

Jet vs Delta 14" lathe Ed Murray Woodturning 37 January 17th 05 07:58 AM
Delta Homecraft Lathe pics posted in abpw John Moorhead Woodworking 3 June 7th 04 10:24 AM
Delta lathe tailstock chuck issue moggy Woodturning 7 December 22nd 03 05:54 PM
Old Delta Lathe Worth New motor? Dain-Owens Woodturning 14 November 19th 03 06:34 AM
Delta model 1460 lathe Bob Itnyre Woodturning 2 September 23rd 03 04:38 AM