Turner's Jacket Suggestions

Old December 3rd 04, 08:48 PM
Obfuscated

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:11:05 -0500, TDUP wrote:

I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

Keep looking. I saw one online recently that I might be interested in
buying if I can find it again. It had a knit turtleneck to keep chips out
of the top and appeared to be of some hard material such as oil-cloth to
simply shed chips and dust. I think it fastened in the back and that might
be a nice feature because there were no fasteners at all on the front to
get dust clogged.

Bill

Old December 4th 04, 03:49 AM
mac davis

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:11:05 -0500, "TDUP"
wrote:

I'm looking for a turners jacket and have looked at the one from Craft
supplies USA.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=209-0142

Lee Valley also has a new jacket out but it has sleeves with elastic cuffs
to keep them back on your forearms.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ry=1%2C 43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Of the 2, I think I'd prefer the lee valley, because of the sleeves...
notice that it has velcro to roll them up... but for most of what I
do, I don't know if the length would be a hassle..

sort of like a turners "duster" or a skirt..lol

I think I'll save the money and keep using the shop vac on myself when
I'm done turning..
Old December 4th 04, 03:56 AM
Bill Rubenstein

I think that Packard now has one. Also, while I didn't see it on their web site, I know that
Paula Nicks at www.dustbeegone.com is selling one also. If you email through their web site
you can find out about the one she is selling.

Bill

In article , says...

Old December 4th 04, 04:42 AM
Ecnerwal

"TDUP" wrote:

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

I use a tyvek windbreaker - price $0, since it was being given away with
catfood I was buying anyway, which it advertises, of course. You can buy
similar things (and coveralls, if you prefer) for $cheap without the
advertising on them.

Old December 4th 04, 06:29 AM
Lyn J. Mangiameli

I'll have a review of the LV Turner's smock in the next issue of More
Woodturning. It should be available as a pdf a week or so later and
will be posted he

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Lyn

Old December 4th 04, 07:48 AM
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tim

If you turn exotic wood like cocobolo, you would want long sleeves, as
exposure to those woods can cause skin rash and worse.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Old December 4th 04, 04:01 PM
dalecue

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...ion&key=209-01

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ency=2&categor

y=1%2C43413

Any suggestions on either. I'm unsure about the Lee Valley because of the
sleeves.

Tim

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Of the 2, I think I'd prefer the lee valley, because of the sleeves...
notice that it has velcro to roll them up... but for most of what I
do, I don't know if the length would be a hassle..

sort of like a turners "duster" or a skirt..lol

I think I'll save the money and keep using the shop vac on myself when
I'm done turning..

shop vac --- 0$ because you already own one
old clothes --0$ see above

using the money to buy "turney" stuff instead --- priceless

Dale

Old December 4th 04, 04:47 PM
Jim Gott

damn, I didn't know there was such a thing... interesting..

you're almost talking apples and oranges here... one's basically a
short sleeve shirt and the other is a 2/3 length "smock"...
the one from Craft Supplies really doesn't say how long it is and the
picture doesn't show the bottom..

Dale,

The Craft Supplies smock is about fingertip length, like a suit coat. It's a
very popular smock among the pros like Raffan, Mahoney, Stuart Batty... I see a
lot of them around at demos.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Old December 4th 04, 04:54 PM
Jim Gott

Keep looking. I saw one online recently that I might be interested in
buying if I can find it again. It had a knit turtleneck to keep chips out
of the top and appeared to be of some hard material such as oil-cloth to
simply shed chips and dust. I think it fastened in the back and that might
be a nice feature because there were no fasteners at all on the front to
get dust clogged.

Bill BRBR

Bill,

Sounds like you're referring to the Packard smock, near the back of the
catalog. A ribbed neck and otherwise like a kitchen apron, made of dark blue
nylon. I have one of those, too, but it doesn't protect the shoulders and my
shirt still gets stained. I'll still use it occasionally if I'm turning small
projects of dry, light colored wood where there aren't a lot of chips.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA