Art Ransom

Default MS FrontPage problems

Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Art Ransom" wrote:

Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ditch FrontPage. It's a terrible excuse for a program. IMHO the best web
editor is whatever plain text editor you like, or perhaps one of the
text editors with additional web support, such as Crimson for PCs.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

FrontPage, saving as HTML from Word, DreamWeaver, etc all put in a bunch
of useless crap and tend more towards making web pages that are likely
not to work correctly on some browsers (especially the MS generators
with non-MS browsers).

Derek Andrews

Art Ransom wrote:
Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It looks ok to me in Firefox. I see the pictures in three rows on my 800
px wide screen. They shuffle around into more rows if I make the window
narrower.

Personally I would use a table to arrange the pictures however I wanted
them.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

mac davis

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:31:22 -0600, "Art Ransom"
wrote:

Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You need to start the page with a table set to the size you want the
"display" to be...

I center the table, that way it's visible on most screens at most
resolutions...

My guess is that you're using a pre-scripted FP component that isn't
"editable" so you have to work around it with a table..
mike nelson

An easy solution is to put each thumb in cell in a table, and set the table
width to some fixed value so it doesn't resize with browsers or screen
resolution differences. 640 px wide is a save value to use.

Mike

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left

get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Ken Grunke

Art Ransom wrote:
Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The page wraps for me in 3 rows of 5 thumbs each, using Firebird but it
may be different in other browsers.

I would use a table, with three rows and one column. Or 3 rows and 5
columns, so you don't have to put all those spaces (designated by
&nbsp in the code to space them apart. Like this:

table border="0"
tr
td_Row_1_Thumb_1_/td
td_Row_1_Thumb_2_/td
td_Row_1_Thumb_3_/td
td_Row_1_Thumb_4_/td
td_Row_1_Thumb_5_/td
/tr
tr
td_Row_2_Thumb_1_/td
td_Row_2_Thumb_2_/td
td_Row_2_Thumb_3_/td
td_Row_2_Thumb_4_/td
td_Row_2_Thumb_5_/td
/tr
tr
td_Row_3_Thumb_1_/td
td_Row_3_Thumb_2_/td
td_Row_3_Thumb_3_/td
td_Row_3_Thumb_4_/td
td_Row_3_Thumb_5_/td
/tr
/table

Or you can leave it as is without tables, and just enclose every 5
thumbs in paragraph tags--
prow 1 of thumbs/p
prow 2 of thumbs/p
etc.

I agree with the other poster about Front Page, it writes bad HTML code
which is not up to current standards. For example, you're supposed to
enclose in quotes all values such as img border, width, font size, etc
like this:

a href="2legacy.htm"img
border="0"src="images/Commercial/LegasySpendles_small1.JPG"
alt="LegasySpendles.JPG (46918 bytes)" width="120" height="90"/a

For my suggestions, you may have to edit the HTML directly and you
probably don't want to hear that--but making minor corrections in the
code directly is a good way to become comfortable with HTML, and it
seems to be necessary for Front Page.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Ken Grunke

Ken Grunke wrote:

I agree with the other poster about Front Page, it writes bad HTML code
which is not up to current standards. For example, you're supposed to
enclose in quotes all values such as img border, width, font size, etc
like this:

a href="2legacy.htm"img
border="0"src="images/Commercial/LegasySpendles_small1.JPG"
alt="LegasySpendles.JPG (46918 bytes)" width="120" height="90"/a

I was mistaken about the lack of quotes, and will eat my words.
I pasted your code into an html text editor, but which was in plain text
mode at the moment and it stripped all the quotes--and that was what I
was looking at when I replied. My boo-boo!

Ken Grunke

Bill Rubenstein

I agree with the advice to ditch Frontpage. I use an editor which understands the details of
html in all it's glory and any time I pass a Frontpage generated page past it it burps up
literally hundreds of syntax errors. That is why Frontpage web sites frequently do not
render properly with non-Microsoft browsers -- because they are just plain WRONG.

Bill

In article ,
says...
In article ,
"Art Ransom" wrote:

Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine except
for
http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left to
get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ditch FrontPage. It's a terrible excuse for a program. IMHO the best web
editor is whatever plain text editor you like, or perhaps one of the
text editors with additional web support, such as Crimson for PCs.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

FrontPage, saving as HTML from Word, DreamWeaver, etc all put in a bunch
of useless crap and tend more towards making web pages that are likely
not to work correctly on some browsers (especially the MS generators
with non-MS browsers).

Martin Rost

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
Art Ransom wrote:
Been making additions to my site and everything appears to be fine

except
for http://www.turningaround.org/Commercial.htm .
All the thumbnails are in one line and don't wrap so you have page left

get to most of them. I want the entire page width to be displayed

without
having to page left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The page wraps for me in 3 rows of 5 thumbs each, using Firebird but it
may be different in other browsers.

{SNIP}

Well in MS Internet Explorer, it comes out as one long row. So good to see
that MS products are consistent.
Martin

Pascal Oudet

Art, I agree with the others suggestions to use a table to have a
clean layout.
if appears from your html code (which is quite readable actually) that
there is no carriage return (br) in the whole sequence of pictures,
that's why they are all on one single line.
for a simple solution to your problem, just insert a br instead of
the     after a picture, and the next one will be on
the next line
hth,

Pascal

ted harris

In news:Bill Rubenstein typed:
I agree with the advice to ditch Frontpage. I use an editor which
understands the details of html in all it's glory and any time I pass a
Frontpage generated page past it it burps up literally hundreds of syntax
errors. That is why Frontpage web sites frequently do not render
properly with non-Microsoft browsers -- because they are just plain
WRONG.

Bill

Would you mind checking mine out and let me know what you experience?
Thankxxx.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

ted harris

In news:Bill Rubenstein typed:
Ted:

I ran your home page past the editor and it generated 12 errors and 33
warnings. I'm emailing you the report offline.

Bill

Thanks again.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

You don't mention the version you're using but I looked at your code
and it says MS FrontPage Code Generator 4.0... I'm guessing that's
probably Frontpage 2000??? I suggest upgrading to FP2003. Works
great. Creates much better code.

FrontPage works fine as long as you set the code compatibility in it.
I have all of my department heads who create their own websites use it
without a problem.

This coming from a guy who's done HTML since 1995, ASP since about
1999, and am in charge of the intranet/internet for a $4 bil company,
of which our website (Created with FrontPage) was named one of the top
business Websites in Michigan for the year 2003. So use my advice as
you see fit.

This all said, looking at your code your have a blockquote tag around
your images which will prevent the line from breaking. Just remove all
your blockquote tags and it will render properly. Can't remember if
FP2000 has their gallery function in it or not, but for what you're
doing, it would work great.