Vicmark, Axminster & Oneway chucks.

Old November 26th 04, 09:53 PM
Bud

Default Vicmark, Axminster & Oneway chucks.

I have heard many peeps say good things about both the Vicmark &
Axminster chucks, being of superb quality, I have not seen either of
these chucks & was curious to know if either of these chucks have a
locking spindle set-screw, as on the Oneway chucks.

Thanks

Bud
Old November 27th 04, 02:08 AM
Jim Gott

I have heard many peeps say good things about both the Vicmark &
Axminster chucks, being of superb quality, I have not seen either of
these chucks & was curious to know if either of these chucks have a
locking spindle set-screw, as on the Oneway chucks.
BRBR

I have 3 Vicmarc chucks. The chucks do not have a Oneway-type setscrew, but
that is not on the chuck anyway. It is on the spindle insert that threads onto
the back of the chuck. Inserts can be purchased from Craft Supplies USA in Utah
and other places. If I were you I would ask Oneway if they supply inserts to
fit the Vicmarc or Axminster chucks.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Old November 27th 04, 03:35 AM
Lyn J. Mangiameli

To my knowledge, only Oneway and Teknatool provide chuck inserts with a
locking screw that will ride in a matching spindle groove. On both
chucks the location for the spindle locking screw is the same, so they
each fit the same grooves found on the Oneway lathes and the more recent
versions of the Teknatool lathes.

Just an aside about Jim's speculation. The Oneway taperlock spindle
adapters are unique to the Oneway products (chucks, vacuum chucks, and
some faceplates), and can not be retrofitted to other brands of chucks.

Though you didn't mention it, I'd suggest you not count out the new
Supernova 2 and Titan chucks from Teknatool. They are a third generation
design and a significant advancement from their earlier chucks (which,
if you don't know, were ground breaking for their day, as Teknatool was
the very first to develop a 4 jaw scroll chuck for woodworking).

Lyn

Old November 27th 04, 06:03 AM
Paulco

Vicmarc supply an adapter with the chuck to suit your lathe, the
adapter has a set screw for locking the adapter to the chuck.
Cheers
Paul

Bud wrote:

I have heard many peeps say good things about both the Vicmark &
Axminster chucks, being of superb quality, I have not seen either of
these chucks & was curious to know if either of these chucks have a
locking spindle set-screw, as on the Oneway chucks.

Thanks

Bud

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia
Old November 27th 04, 05:30 PM
Lyn J. Mangiameli

Paul,
Thanks for the comment but if I understand you correctly, we are talking
about two different things. It appears that you are talking about "a set
screw for locking the adapter to the chuck" body (something that the
Teknatool chucks use also--Oneway uses a different system with its
Taperlocks held with two screws), while the original questioner to which
I was replying was asking about the presences of a set screw for locking
the chuck/adapter assembly to the headstock spindle (actually on Oneway
and Teknatool lathes it is a groove in the spindle between the threads
and the shoulder). This allows for reverse turning and sanding without
the risk of the chuck accidentally unscrewing, as well as preventing the
same under sudden decelleration of the workpiece during forward rotation.

I have used an older VM120 which didn't have such a set screw, and it
appears that Jim earlier in the thread doesn't have such a set screw on
any of his three Vicmark chucks (/adapter assemblies). If I am
misunderstanding you, can you supply an approximate date of when a
spindle locking set screw was added?

Thanks again,
Lyn

Old November 27th 04, 06:56 PM
Bud

Lyn,

I agree that Nova's chucks have improved as I have a supernova & got a
Titan earlier in the year. However, Not sure that you're aware a
design design "mistake" on nova chucks is that they do not have a
m33x3.5 insert available for the Oneway spindle thread, (mistake being
that this has become a popular lathe, and Nova is losing a part of the
market on chucks & jaws) although my understanding is that one can
special order a dedicated threaded chuck (no insert) for the Oneway
lathe, from Nova...Not the way I want to go. One more design flaw with
Nova is (and I am not alone on this), the "backwards tightening" of
the Nova chucks, although I have gotten used to it, I feel it a lousy
idea, if one uses other chucks besides nova chucks, (takes away the
developed "habit" if using different brand chucks. the only real plus
with nova, (and I feel it's a big plus) is that the jaws can be
interchanged between the supernova & titan, Kudos to Nova for that!
but, I'm getting a Oneway lathe soon and my nova chucks will be
useless to me. I would keep my Nova's for the plus of the jaw
interchangability, but will not fit my new lathe so I'm SOL. and yes,
I'm aware that I can get a spindle adaptor(reducer) for the Oneway
spindle, But I feel you are just adding to imperfecting your lathe &
turnings by putting such a spindle extention on any lathe, especially
if that were to be a permanant setup.

Thank You

Bud

Old November 27th 04, 08:27 PM
Matt Heffron

Lyn,
My old VM100 (~Aug '02) did NOT have the set screw in the insert.
My new VM120 (~Mar '04) DOES have the set screw to lock the insert to the body.
The set screw "locks" by friction and the screw "cutting" its own little depression in the
back of the body. I've wondered if it would be better to machine that little depression a
little deeper to give the screw more bite.
Matt Heffron
Inland Woodturners
http://www.inlandwoodturners.org/

k.net...

Old November 27th 04, 11:25 PM
Jim Gott

My old VM100 (~Aug '02) did NOT have the set screw in the insert.
My new VM120 (~Mar '04) DOES have the set screw to lock the insert to the body.
The set screw "locks" by friction and the screw "cutting" its own little
depression in the
back of the body. I've wondered if it would be better to machine that little
depression a
little deeper to give the screw more bite.
Matt Heffron
Inland Woodturners BRBR

Matt,
My newer Vicmarc inserts also have the setscrew BETWEEN THE INSERT AND THE
CHUCK BODY, but the original question was about a setscrew between the insert
and the spindle. None of my Vicmarcs have a setscrew that screws down onto the
spindle, and that was what I was addressing.

Bud,
I believe you can order your Oneway lathe with any spindle thread you want (or
at least 1 1/4 X 8), so you should not have to replace your chucks--only the
inserts to 1 1/4 X 8). I know these inserts are available for the original Nova
as a friend sometimes uses a Nova on his Stubby lathe which has 1 1/4 X 8
threads. Rather than getting a stepdown adaptor, just change out your inserts.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Old November 28th 04, 12:37 AM
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Lyn

Was it not that Teknatool adapted a self centering 4 jaw metal turning
chuck, with a set of "soft jaws" to turn wood ?

Old November 28th 04, 12:56 AM
Lyn J. Mangiameli

I believe it was Axminster that was the first to adapt an existing metal
working chuck for woodturning, which made them the second to offer a
four jaw chuck for woodturning. That chuck is still available as their
Precision and remains one of the best. However, my understanding is
that Teknatool is indeed the first to develop and introduce a 4 jaw
chuck for woodturning (most metal working chucks are 3 jaw). The
original idea was presented to Woodcraft, who was sufficiently impressed
with the new idea to help fund the small NZ company in bringing it to
the world. I wasn't there, so I am only relying on the folks who were
part of things at that time.

Lyn