Ghodges2

Default Alcohol Drying (OT) long

Thought I would try the new alcohol method for drying bowls everyone is trying
so I went to the local hardware store to buy 5 gallons of denatured alcohol.
The girl at the cash register said that I was not a painter and wanted to know
what I was going to do with all that stuff. Told her if she promised not to
tell anyone, I would let her in on what I was doing with it, she promised not
to tell a soul. I told her I was having a big party and was going to have it
for everybody to drink. She informed me that it would kill everyone. I told
her that I had invented a simple new way to make it safe to drink, but could
tell no one how because I was going to get rich with my new invention. By the
time I got to the barber shop the boys wanted to know about the big party at my
place.
Glenn Hodges, having fun with all the inquiring minds in Nashville, GA.
WoodMangler

Ghodges2 wrote:
[...]

What time should we be there?

Arch

George you can drink sock-filtered sterno, just can't ever see it again.
Odd that adding alcohol dries out wood, but omitting alcohol dries out
drunks.

I wonder if soaking wood in alcohol might, in time, result in off
center, eccentric and unstable ole soaks; pieces of art that speak to
you in garbled voices?

In the blush of recent alcoholic success, has LDD been relegated to the
status of 'near beer' and denatured ethanol is now the preferred 'hard
stuff'. Leif?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

Yeah, sure it does.

We seem to crave a pill for all our ills, real or self-inflicted.

Wood contains alcohol, maybe that's why it dries at all?

"Arch" wrote in message
Odd that adding alcohol dries out wood, but omitting alcohol dries out
drunks.

Leif Thorvaldson

*sigh* LDD contains at least a couple of forms of alcohol all ready. Some
turners have added denatured alcohol to LDD with the idea that it absorbs
water and would facilitate "drying;" however, it seemed to make no
difference. The LDD seems to draw water from the wood and replaces it with
"something" from the LDD. Specific gravity seems to bear out that water is
gained in the solution by the lowering of the SG. LDD is not likely a
catalytic, but rather "something" seems to be drawn from it and the solution
will require the addition of more LDD to compensate for the dilution. It
would require a biochemist and fancy equipment to come to an answer as to
what that "something" is. Thought we had one turner with those
qualifications, but the tests were too expensive to run. You'd almost think
this could be a PhD topic for someone.*G*

Leif

"Arch" wrote in message
George you can drink sock-filtered sterno, just can't ever see it again.
Odd that adding alcohol dries out wood, but omitting alcohol dries out
drunks.

I wonder if soaking wood in alcohol might, in time, result in off
center, eccentric and unstable ole soaks; pieces of art that speak to
you in garbled voices?

In the blush of recent alcoholic success, has LDD been relegated to the
status of 'near beer' and denatured ethanol is now the preferred 'hard
stuff'. Leif?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

Leif, more likely a topic for a LL.D candidate. It will take a
'Philadelphia lawyer' to sort this all out. The wood may be 'cut and
dried', but the physical chemistry sure isn't.

De-natured alcohol can wait while I do tests on the natured stuff. A wee
dram of fully-natured ethanol, once exposed to peat smoke, is best for
my good nature.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Dan Bollinger

*sigh* LDD contains at least a couple of forms of alcohol all ready.

"All ready for what?"

[...]

Seems to me that you are making this more complicated and exotic than
necessary. Since the SG changes, but without a change in color, odor, or
temperature, and no precipitate has been reported, then it tells me that no
chemical reaction is taking place. Might it not be as simple as the
detergent is replacing the water in the wood? Dan

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Arch,
A wonderful new honorific, most appropriate for the candidate. Might I
be so bold as to suggest that we employ the powers of our doctorates and
status as members of the Exclusive Order of the "COC", and in
recognition of Leif's Dissertation "The Soap Solution" [archived he
http://www.ronkent.com/rontech.html], to hereby bestow upon Leif all
rights (and obligations) to the title of Ld.D

congratulations Leif,

Lyn

Arch wrote:

Leif, more likely a topic for a LL.D candidate. It will take a
'Philadelphia lawyer' to sort this all out. The wood may be 'cut and
dried', but the physical chemistry sure isn't.

De-natured alcohol can wait while I do tests on the natured stuff. A wee
dram of fully-natured ethanol, once exposed to peat smoke, is best for
my good nature.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

Lyn, Seconded and so moved.

Congratulations Dr. Soapy, keep up your wishy-washy good works, sir. If
you continue your fine myopic attitude, we might consider you for Junior
COC?

Not so fast Arch, we need to consult Kevin Miller before this gets out
of hand.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Millers

Arch wrote:

Leif, more likely a topic for a LL.D candidate. It will take a
'Philadelphia lawyer' to sort this all out. The wood may be 'cut and
dried', but the physical chemistry sure isn't.

De-natured alcohol can wait while I do tests on the natured stuff. A wee
dram of fully-natured ethanol, once exposed to peat smoke, is best for
my good nature.

Here here! I'll second that Lyn. Darn it though, I wish I was present
to help Arch with his ethynol research.

Enjoy the rewards of fame and fortune likely to follow Leif. Well
deserved...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Leif Thorvaldson

Arch wrote:

Leif, more likely a topic for a LL.D candidate. It will take a
'Philadelphia lawyer' to sort this all out. The wood may be 'cut and
dried', but the physical chemistry sure isn't.

De-natured alcohol can wait while I do tests on the natured stuff. A wee
dram of fully-natured ethanol, once exposed to peat smoke, is best for
my good nature.

Here here! I'll second that Lyn. Darn it though, I wish I was present to
help Arch with his ethynol research.

Enjoy the rewards of fame and fortune likely to follow Leif. Well
deserved...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Thank you! Thank you! I humbly accept the "honor" being bestowed upon me,
but I must insist that the honor be shared with R*n K*nt. He is the
prophet! I, but his humble servant! Praise be his name!

Leif Thorvaldson, Ld.D. (Hon.)

Millers

Arch wrote:
Lyn, Seconded and so moved.

Congratulations Dr. Soapy, keep up your wishy-washy good works, sir. If
you continue your fine myopic attitude, we might consider you for Junior
COC?

Not so fast Arch, we need to consult Kevin Miller before this gets out
of hand.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Hmmm. Having vociferously defended the use of LDD against all comers
and displaying sufficient curmudgeonly attitude in the face of his
detractors perhaps it would be a worthwhile endeavor. We also haven't
had any 2004 awards yet to the best of my recollection. Therefore I
think we should rectify this and welcome him into the Frateranal order
of Curmudgeonly ol' Coots in good standing. But not before December 1st.
Two awards in the same month might go to his head.

Barring any objections, it's so ordered...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb