Darrell Feltmate

Default A Good Reason to go to church (gloat)

The young fellow looks at his mon on Sunday morning and says, "Why do I have
to go to church?. It is hunting season and the day in gorgeous. Besides, I
do not like those people and they do not like me. Give me one good reason
why I should go."
His mom replied, "I will give you two. One: you are 34 years old and you
should know better. Two: you are the minister."

Aside from being the minister and really liking the people, I showed up at
church on Sunday to have one of the folks ask me if I could use the black
cherry log he had set in the parking lot for me. 12" daimeter and 8' 6"
long. I said yes. Great folks at that church.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Paulco

Your church must a be a rarity.
I went to various churches (assemblies of god & baptist among others)
for 14 years and considering that the entire faith is based on love &
forgiveness, I found christians to be the most self rightous,
judgemental, unloving and unforgiving bunch of ******* (a**hole is an
approximate equivilent for US readers) on this planet.

But if I can scam some timber I might have to start going again lol.

Seriously though, another source is commerical tree loppers. I found
a website for my home town (Perth, Western Australia) where you could
register for free firewood and mulch from tree loppers. Dropped them
an e-mail telling them I wanted wood for turning, and a week later I
got a call from a guy. They were dropping a healthy 50ft tall 2ft
thick at the base Jarrah tree (aussie hard wood, red/brown in colour
with some great grain) and I could meet them there and take as much as
could carry.
Got three great slabs from the base about a foot long and filled the
trailer with stuff a foot long and 8 to 16 inches thick - I could have
taken more if I had a bigger trailer.

Happy turnings
Paul

PS, I bet your church has the nicest collection plates in town (-:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:16:58 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

The young fellow looks at his mon on Sunday morning and says, "Why do I have
to go to church?. It is hunting season and the day in gorgeous. Besides, I
do not like those people and they do not like me. Give me one good reason
why I should go."
His mom replied, "I will give you two. One: you are 34 years old and you
should know better. Two: you are the minister."

Aside from being the minister and really liking the people, I showed up at
church on Sunday to have one of the folks ask me if I could use the black
cherry log he had set in the parking lot for me. 12" daimeter and 8' 6"
long. I said yes. Great folks at that church.

Unless otherwise stated all references to location refer to Western Australia
George

Veggie-loving young pastor at our church used to stop by "on calls" quite
often when the garden was in high production. Now the rest of the year, he
might as well have been called a C&E.

In an area full of hardwood, I often find lumps and logs by the side of the
drive. I've never found the source of a few. Those I do discover get some
sort of work or two from the piece.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

Aside from being the minister and really liking the people, I showed up at
church on Sunday to have one of the folks ask me if I could use the black
cherry log he had set in the parking lot for me. 12" daimeter and 8' 6"
long. I said yes. Great folks at that church.

Bob Ivey

Last spring I got a call from our church asking if I had any interest in a
large Dogwood tree that was going to be removed. I almost always say "Yes"
to offers such as this ---- even though I had never turned any Dogwood
before. I rough turned the wood and since the tree was mostly dead the
wood was dry enough to finish turning in about six months. It has turned
out to be beautiful wood with unusual color and swirling grain patterns.

Several years ago I made Offering Plates for our church out of northwest
woods so they knew of my interest in turning.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Bob Ivey
Lake Oswego, Oregon

[...]

Darrell Feltmate

Paul
I do not think that my church is a rarity, but I do agree that too many
Christians are a selfrighteous, unforgiving bunch that gives a lie to the
whole faith. We are working to change that in a small way. Recently we had a
power black out after an early, wet, heavy snow storm. The folks at the
church went out of their way to serve hot meals to the people of the
community and the folks working on the pwer lines. Frankly, we had a ball
doing it. Small wonder that some of these folks would give a pastor a cherry
log to play with, not to mention the burls and such that have turned up this
past couple of years. Anyway, back to the wood turning.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Woodcut tools 2000 Ltd sales

It could be many of us go to Church to get more than to give (or serve) My
wife is a great giver and taught me a few lessons especially when she gave
away some of my best collectables. Which I probably didnt realy need anyway.

Church is also about our friend or neigbour who needs help or encoragement.
Thanks Darrel I needed some this week all the best to you & yours.

Ken Port
"Bob Ivey" wrote in message
[...]

anonymous

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

Paul
I do not think that my church is a rarity, but I do agree that too many
Christians are a selfrighteous, unforgiving bunch that gives a lie to the
whole faith.

Darrell,
My understanding is that one half of the congregation is there as a test of
the loyalty (to God) of the other half. I rather suspect that which group I
am a member of depends heavily on which group the observer is a member
of ... with neither side of the aisle claiming me.

Oh well. I'm not there to please man but to please God.

And I must be doing okay in that respect because every log I've ever opened
up looked to be a gift from Him; every chip peeled off exactly as He
designed it to. Every finished bowl, pen, cup, plate and spindle proved His
mercy extends even to sinners toiling away in poorly lit basements with
inexpensive tools, no training and very little experience.

It seems impossible to love the Creator without also being fond of the
creation.

Bill

Darrell Feltmate

Bill Wrote
It seems impossible to love the Creator without also being fond of the
creation.

Bill
I could not agree more. It is one of the great benefits of being a wood
turner that we are the first to see what God has made when we open a log.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate