Dave jackson

Default Lathe height

Hi,
I am new to turning and am having a great time learning to create
different things on my lathe. I decided on a Jet 1236 to compliment the
other Jet machines I have and so far am pleased with it. However, there is
one problem I aim to fix this weekend. After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height. Anyone have an
opinion on this? I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.
or so. Also, does anyone sit while turning? I seem to remember barstools
being quite comfortable to sit on for a couple of hours at a time, although
since getting married a few years ago, have not been on one lately. I think
it would bring me to the right height with the lathe though. Ant thoughts
on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks, dave

George

Pretty good rule, the elbow. Turners of bowls who don't rest the tool at
centerline like them a bit higher, so they can use long-handled tools braced
against their hips. I have to turn over the bed exclusively, so my tools
are always pretty much in the same position.

Which brings us to the second part - use the legs you have gratefully. You
sacrifice a lot of delicate "body English" by placing your butt on an
immovable object. if you're still having back problems, try the old trick
of putting one foot up on a low stool while you're doing fairly static
things and/or keep a couple styles of footwear available so you can change
and load your feet differently. I rest a foot while sanding, and sometimes
while hogging, and can hold my old body in front for as long as my bladder
can stand it.

"Dave jackson" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

James

Dave

If your body is sore after turning you are not going to do allot or
enjoy it as much as when you feel well after. If you find that you get
a stiff back while turning, by all means raise the hight, I'm 5'9 and
had to raise my lathe 5" to make it easy on the back. Also, I do have a
stool to sit on, but usually it is used when finishing or when I am
working on small turnings. If you find the lathe to high for some
turning then just make a wooden box/bench to stand on to raise the hight
of the floor.

My 2 cents.

James
www.cryscom.nb.ca

Dave jackson wrote:
[...]

Derek Andrews

Dave jackson wrote:
After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height.

Elbow height is good. Assuming you don't normally have back trouble,
that will probably ease the back ache considerably. Been there, done
that. You might also try getting a bench mat to stand on.

I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.

That is a big rise. Depending on the size and weight of what you are
turning, you may want to thow away the current stand and build a heavy
duty bench that will put your lathe at the desired height.

Also, does anyone sit while turning?

Not me. IMO it would restrict movement too much. For me, turning is very
much a whole body skill, much of the movement coming from the legs. No
doubt if you can only sit, you will learn to overcome the lack of
mobility, but I think it would make many tasks very difficult,
inefficient and tiresome.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Lewis Dodd

The trouble, in my opinion, would be to find a "bar" that doesn't mind the
wood chips and sawdust on everything!

Regards,
Lewis
--
Check to see if you any words out.
[...]

dave in Fairfax

Dave jackson wrote:
After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height. Anyone have an
opinion on this? I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.
or so. Also, does anyone sit while turning? I seem to remember barstools
being quite comfortable to sit on for a couple of hours at a time, although
since getting married a few years ago, have not been on one lately. I think
it would bring me to the right height with the lathe though.

Many of us are better than 6' so we face the same problems. Many
of us are getting older as well, so the back problem is shared as
well. Derek is right about the mat, but standing on a box isn't a
good answer to the problem. Unless the box is the size of the
area in front of your lathe you won't be able to shift your weight
properly as you move your tools. Then there's the "falling with
sharp tools in hand" problem. Raise the lathe and avoid all the
pain. My back hurts less after I turn due to the Tai Chi (sp)
type lunges done while turning. You can't do much motion sitting
on a bar stool. Except the one that takes us back to "falling
with sharp tools in hand".

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Flint Cottonwood Weiss

I have the same lathe and the stand mine came with was way to low.

I mounted mine to my bench where the base sits ~waist high which works
out pretty close for elbow height.

I wouldn't worry about the 10" part. Just get it up at the right
hight for you to be able to stand up while you work the wood.

You might be able to do the right thing on a stool but I've personally
found that it is easiest to hold your uppper body in position and then
shift your weight to move up and down the stock....and for me that is
easiest done standing.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:19:31 GMT, "Dave jackson"
wrote:

[...]

Kevin

Another thing that might help is a floor mat. Standing on concrete (if you
are) puts quite a strain on legs and back. I tossed down several old throw
rugs and things are much better now. Another possibility is a stall mat.
These are available at tack shops and are used in horse stalls.

-Kevin
[...]

Bruce Ferguson

You can also watch the good will stores for the interlocking mats used in
kids room. Mine has letters and numbers with different colors. If you get
extras the pad can be used to make rubber sanding disks.

Bruce
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Gott

After spending a short time turning
my back seems to get terrible aches. After DAGS I've read that the
centerline of the lathe should be at about elbow height. Anyone have an
opinion on this? I'm 6'4, so this would mean raising my lathe about 10 in.
or so. BRBR

I would suggest building a sturdy bench to put your lathe on--one that is solid
and heavy, and throw the stock legs away. That is what I did with my first
lathe and it made the lathe much more solid and stable than with the legs it
comes with. Build your bench so that the spindle is a couple of inches above
your elbow height and you'll be a happy camper. IMHO, the Jet 1236 is too low
(with the stock legs) for all but the shortest person.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Craftsman 101.07403 12" Lathe Terry G Metalworking 12 March 20th 04 08:37 AM
height of lathe CJH Woodturning 6 March 14th 04 04:51 PM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM
Club lathe reccomendations WANTED Bob Hewson Woodturning 2 July 14th 03 12:15 AM