Jeff Bennett

Default Ammonia fumeing oak.

I finish turned an Oak bowl today and ammonia fumed it. It darkened a
lot. Now I realize I have not sanded it yet. Will I sand away the
color or does the fumeing darken it all the way through?

JB

David F. Eisan

For the beginner, What is fumeing

It is what you do when you make a mistake.

Or maybe this,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4761

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4625

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=4813

David.

George

Using strong ammonia fumes to react with acid woods. Ages and colors the
surface. Best known with white oak in A&C and Stickley furniture.

"Keith Young" wrote in message
For the beginner, What is fumeing

Stephen M

You may be OK. I did just fine sanding some floor boards in a staircase
landing. I was just leveling the joints between T&G boards( fumed for 2-3
days). I came up a little short and needed to add a 1/4" filler strip. I
gave the filler strip just a couple of hours in a big with ammonia until
the color looked right. It did not fare as well. I had to build a little
in-place ammonia tent to fix that.

I did see a more scientific test on somebody's website that showed cross
sections of fumed wood. The penetration varied but was as much as 1/4" in
some cross sections.

With a few days of fuming found that the penetration of a solid 1/8". more
on the end-grain.

-Steve

"Jeff Bennett" wrote in message
om...
I finish turned an Oak bowl today and ammonia fumed it. It darkened a
lot. Now I realize I have not sanded it yet. Will I sand away the
color or does the fumeing darken it all the way through?

JB

Ammonia sources in the NYC area? PSobon Woodworking 25 August 5th 04 12:16 AM
ammonia on fire ants? Margie Davis Home Repair 4 June 9th 04 01:44 AM
ammonia Pete Woodworking 4 May 24th 04 12:48 PM
Ammonia type refrigerator Jon Elson Metalworking 6 May 6th 04 06:10 PM
Evaporation point for Ammonia? David F. Eisan Woodworking 15 November 10th 03 08:09 AM