Doug Dubowski

Default NOVA DVR 3000 Lathe

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe? Thanks.

DD

Bruce White

You will get a lot of responses on this one. I've had a DVR since they came
out. No problems whatsoever. It was a marked improvement over the original
Nova3000.

As an attachment, I'd get the outboard tool rest attachment, it really lets
you get big, not deep, but big.

-Bruce
www.webpages.charter.net/brewster

"Doug Dubowski" wrote in message
ers.com...
I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova

DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe?

Thanks.

DD

Peter Teubel

I've had my DVR for a year now and use it in a production environment. Works flawlessly. Don't bother with the outrigger
attachment. Its a PITA to move around. The cast iron legs are a good thing, though. Nice and weighty.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:16:24 GMT, "Doug Dubowski" wrote:

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe? Thanks.

DD

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com
Mike Piechowski

Doug Dubowski wrote:
I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe? Thanks.

DD

Where are you located? If you have an AAW chapter nearby someone is
likely to have a DVR. If you have a Woodcraft nearby, go play with theirs.

I've had mine for about 6 months now, other than a few little problems
out of the box, (Which Woodcraft and Teknatool handled exceptionally),
it has been wonderful. The outrigger is a pain, but it is worthwhile if
you want to turn really big (18+ inch) stuff. I've done 16" Madrona and
Maple bowls so far, and they are plenty big for me. Switch it to 220
Volt operation if you are able, the increase in low rpm torque is nice.

Mike
Lyn J. Mangiameli

The DVR has been my primary lathe for over two years now. It has served
me very well. I sometimes think of getting some "Super-lathe" but it's
hard for me to pull the trigger on such a purchase as in some way or
another, all the Superlathes lack something I really appreciate about my
DVR and don't want to give up.

I make hollow forms a lot, the pivoting headstock makes free hand
hollowing a pleasure, and the ability to extend the bed with a couple of
extra sections makes fitting torsionally restrained hollowing rigs to
make very deep forms quite convenient. The swivel head also makes doing
larger bowls both possible and practical.

The integral motor/headstock, is quite powerful. I find all the power I
need to core large bowls and take agressive roughing cuts. The DVR is
one of the smoothest drives you will find regardless of price. I really
appreciate that smoothness for finish cuts, particularly on smaller
boxes and spindle work.

The electronic motor control not only adjusts power to your needs, but
can recognize a catch and stop the motor briefly, restarting in a couple
of seconds if the load on the workpiece has become reasonable. This is a
great feature for novices, and is a good safety feature even for
experienced turners who may have something go wrong (say jamming a
coring tool, or having a large hollowing tip drop into a void).

Its not a perfect lathe, and can't handle the largest, deepest bowl and
hollow forms, nor is it ideal to deal with hugely heavy out of balance
work (be it an out of balance raw blank that needs to be roughed out, or
deliberate off-center turning), though the latter limitations can be
overcome to a very great extent by accessories like the Kelton Balancer.
Every lathe in this price range will have some limitations and
compromises, but I think Teknatool has made very wise decisions in what
to emphasize, and what to skimp on (for example, the color is a rather
drab gray, and the castings are far from polished).

There is much more to say, and indeed I wrote 30 or so pages of critical
analysis on the DVR when it first came out (someday I'll get the latest
electronics boards for my DVR and write an updated, extended use, review
for More Woodturning). But to close these commments out for now, the
only lathe I'm really interested in replacing my present DVR with, would
be an upsized "DVR on Steroids." If only we could all convince Teknatool
that such a lathe should become available.

Lyn

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions

Doug Dubowski wrote:
I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe? Thanks.

DD

Bill Rubenstein

I think that when making a lathe-buying decision, there is no substitute for a test drive. I
also think that turners are a friendly lot and if you go about it right the chances of
getting a test drive are pretty good almost anywhere. For those lathes where there are
internet users' groups, the chances of getting a test drive are even better.

Clearly there is the potential of a legal problem if someone allows someone else to use his
machine and the someone else gets hurt. Most of us, though, refuse to run scared from the
too-many-lawyers syndrome in this country. I'll invite and watch. If I feel comfortable
with their skills, no problem. If not I'll teach, suggest, ...

Now, for a maybe more controversial idea...

Maybe it is worth getting a test drive on a lathe which might be out of your price range.
That will give you a point of comparison and you will have a much better idea of what you are
giving up by buying the less expensive and less capable machine.

A test drive is really worth doing, I think.

Bill

In article et,
says...
Doug Dubowski wrote:
[...]

Lyn J. Mangiameli

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
snip
Maybe it is worth getting a test drive on a lathe which might be out of your price range.
That will give you a point of comparison and you will have a much better idea of what you are
giving up by buying the less expensive and less capable machine.

snip

To the extent this is pratically feasible, I think this is an excellent
proposal, not only with lathes but many woodturning items (not to
mention nonwoodturning devices).

So often I read some folks dismiss a product that they have little or no
experience with (the Tormek being one prominent example), and thus
little pragmatic basis for comparison. It is one of the reasons I much
prefer doing comparative reviews, rather then single product focus
articles. Virtually every product design is a compromise, sometimes due
to price, sometimes size, sometimes complexity, sometimes realiability,
etc. etc. I believe one can best determine which constellation of
compromises is desirable for oneself if one is aware of what can be
accomplished without the particular compromise.

Chris Stott made an obervation that I have always found instructive.
Chris has long been associated closely with Poolewood. He has been able
to use and own the excellent lathes at the top of their line. Despite
greatly appreciating the outstanding capabilities of his high high end
lathe, he later obtained one of their smaller lathes as well. His
reasoning: Chris mostly makes small boxes. This involves lots of small
positionings of the tailstock and banjo. He simply found the massiveness
of the banjo and tailstock of his big lathe to be unnecessarily
fatiguing and more awkward to obtain fine changes in positioning, than a
quality lathe with smaller lighter components. To me this illustrates
that compromise is inherent in all products (granted more expensive
products often can have fewer compromises--except for price, of course)
and which set of compromises is best for a individual can be better
discerned by both experience with what is possible and understanding of
one's own needs.

Lyn

Reyd

and I am going tommorow to my first day of paid work on a lathe. I may
only have a few days of work, but its a start.

I started hunting for a job involving woodturning after reading so many
of the posts on here.
thanks especially to those of you who replied to my incessant questions
and pestering, as well as those who helped me get started by sending me
tools to get started.

-Reyd
P.S. the reason I haven't been around to post dozens of odd questions is
because I have been hiking/climbing/canoeing/hiking for the last month.

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.
Sir Edgar

Congratulations! Show them how good you are.

Peace ~ Sir Edgar
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F 8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=
=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Reyd, welcome back and congrad's
wondered where you were
how's the hand all healed up an no problems I hope?

Have fun and TAKE CARE, (like don't get hurt).
Leo Van Der Loo

Reyd wrote:
and I am going tommorow to my first day of paid work on a lathe. I may
only have a few days of work, but its a start.

I started hunting for a job involving woodturning after reading so many
of the posts on here.
thanks especially to those of you who replied to my incessant questions
and pestering, as well as those who helped me get started by sending me
tools to get started.

-Reyd
P.S. the reason I haven't been around to post dozens of odd questions is
because I have been hiking/climbing/canoeing/hiking for the last month.

Dave Balderstone

Good stuff, Reyd!

Thanks for letting us know.

djb
Arch

Good posts Bill & Lyn, no argument here.
I figure that there is no universally best lathe. Each of us needs to
decide the best mix of many variables: cost, size/wt. pride of
ownership, purpose, seller's ethics, tooling, adaptability, parts, life
expectancy in a changing industry, space & time available, on and on.
Stretching to acquire any machine that fits only a few variables and is
all wrong for others is risky. The best lathe is the one that's best
for you _now. The past is over and the future isn't predictable. Once,
street car stock was a sure investment. I can probably afford a
black one or a white one, but all those variables considered, the gray
lathe is best for me today,.. and I'm turning today. IOW, a big
Bridgeport is great, but my little Clausing is a much better miller
...for me. Arch

Fortiter,

william kossack

what was your old lathe?

I used a grizzly for more than a year but started seriously looked for 6
months before settling on the DVR.

I could have gotten a bigger lathe but I needed to keep some portability.

The DVR fit several needs such as size, power, speed controls and price
range. When I describe
the speed control to anyone not familiar with the DVR their eyes open
wide. Contolling the rpm
in 5 rpm increments from 100 rpm to the top speed of the lathe and
getting a digital read out of the
speed is something that not many have on their lathes.

I've turned bowls as large as 15 inches wide and 9 inches deep (roughed
out) that started as 50
pound chunks and I've turned little one inch by one inch bowls while
playing with cuttoffs

Doug Dubowski wrote:

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe? Thanks.

DD

Doug Dubowski

I currently use a Shopsmith as my lathe. I use a speed reducer to get the
speed down to a manageable level when turning large bowls (12- 16") but I
continuously have a problem with the piece "whirling" with the reducer,
making it impossible to get the piece round. In spite of its shortcomings,
speed adjustment with the Shopsmith is actually quite good and variable.
The speed reducer has one speed range and the lathe without it another so it
is quite convenient. You lose quite a bit of length with the speed reducer
installed, and the tail stock is too flimsy for large pieces for support.
For smaller pieces it is actually quite good if one equips it with the cast
iron banjo and tool rest available. The major drawback with this piece is
that you lose a considerable amount of swing ( at least 4 inches on the
diameter). I have had the speed reducer checked out, but to no avail. I
still run into this whirling effect and I would like to move up to a
dedicated lathe that has sufficient features that it will last me for a very
long period of time. The DVR's small footprint, extendable bed length (I
predominantly do bowls), and swivalling headstock really appeal to me. The
only comparable lathe I can think of in the same price range are the new Jet
1642 lathes, but they are not available here in Canada as best as I can tell
and maybe too large. The Powermatic 3520a is certainly another option, but
it's too large and too expensive.

DD

Doug Dubowski wrote:

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova

DVR
3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe?

Thanks.

DD

Arch

Doug, I think that almost any decent lathe designed specifically for
turning wood will be a big improvement over your present setup. The DVR
certainly fits the bill, but the N3K does too. I have used a N3K for
some time and with all its warts, I have not considered a DVR to be a
warranted upgrade, but I confess to have never turned on one.

Before making comparisons I ought to test a DVR, but from my armchair
the N3K's smoothness, power, speed control, 'human' torque adjustment,
headstock size and tailstock stability and overall usefulness seem quite
adequate.

I know that some very savvy turners have found a N3K to DVR upgrade very
worthwhile overall and their decisions are reliable. I would like to
hear from some equally competent turners who haven't thought it
worthwhile to switch. Maybe it's economics, stupid, but what else?

Arch

Fortiter,

Reyd

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Good stuff, Reyd!

Thanks for letting us know.

Thank you, without you guys I would have just done it as a hobby, now I
get close to 80$ a day for having 8 hours of fun, and I get to work with
a really awesome guy for my boss.
who I must admit has the oddest sharpening method I've ever seen,
totally freehand on the side of a nice normal delta grinder.
because he only uses his hands, no rest at all, the bevel takes a little
getting used to.

djb

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.
-SATAN
Sane people are just lunatics in denial.
_Delta Nine
Larry

Arch,

IMHO I think it boils down to - Are you sattisfied with what does the
job at that level, or do you need the latest whizbang. I find nothing
compelling in the DVR, nothing lacking in the 3K. I consider the DVR
hype. I know it's risky to say that but I have to be honest.

Larry
william kossack

what! ever

buying a lathe is like buying a car some seem to choose because of the color

wait until they start putting DVD payers with fold up tvs on them so you
can watch your
favorite turning video while your at the lathe.

Larry wrote:

Arch,

IMHO I think it boils down to - Are you sattisfied with what does the
job at that level, or do you need the latest whizbang. I find nothing
compelling in the DVR, nothing lacking in the 3K. I consider the DVR
hype. I know it's risky to say that but I have to be honest.

Larry

Ralph

I also use a Shopsmith for turning and have a speed reduced as well. I
have the same problem with the speed reducer. I overcome this by useng
the reducer to rough out the bowl only. I then remove the reducer and
finish the bowl normally. I have turned bowls up to 13" to 14"
diameter. I'm also looking for a new lathe but that will have to wait
untill I get a larger shop in about a years time.

Doug Dubowski wrote:

I am in the market for new lathe and I am seriously considering a Nova

DVR

3000 lathe. I haven't seen one personally and don't know anyone who owns
one. What does everyone who owns or has used this lathe think about it?
Are there any accessories that should be purchased with the lathe?

Thanks.

DD

Ecnerwal

Doug Dubowski wrote:
I currently use a Shopsmith as my lathe. I use a speed reducer to get the
speed down to a manageable level when turning large bowls (12- 16") but I
continuously have a problem with the piece "whirling" with the reducer,
making it impossible to get the piece round.

You might be interested in a kludge I came up with while I was waiting
for parts after my vintage 1954 ShopSmith Mark V speed control died,
horribly, but I needed to do some turning on it before parts would come.

I had a 1/2 horse variable speed DC motor kicking around from another
lathe project, so I kludged up a block & strap to hold that in the right
position to line up with the jointer output shaft. I put a Shopsmith
accessory connector on the motor shaft, and used the motor and a
Shopsmith coupling to drive the jointer shaft (which drives the main
shaft at reduced speed). The belt from the jointer shaft to the motor of
the ShopSmith was disconnected due to the broken Shopsmith mechanical
(Reeves) speed control.

Other than having to loosen the motor mount as well as the headstock
when moving the headstock, this was a wonderful solution; full DC
0-whatever speed control, and a lot quieter without the squealing of the
Reeves drive in the headstock. It ate up some length on the bed, but
that was irrelevant for what I was turning. It's made me give serious
consideration to re-engineering the guts of the machine to replace the
motor and mechanical speed control with a dc (or 3-phase) motor and
appropriate speed controller - I've always been frustrated wth the high
speed of the "slow" speed, and the speed reducer looked like a hokey and
overpriced solution to me (somewhat supported by both of your comments
about it).

Dave Balderstone

In article , Reyd
wrote:

Thank you, without you guys I would have just done it as a hobby, now I
get close to 80$ a day for having 8 hours of fun, and I get to work with
a really awesome guy for my boss.

That's fantastic. What kind of work are you doing?
Reyd

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Reyd
wrote:

Thank you, without you guys I would have just done it as a hobby, now I
get close to 80$ a day for having 8 hours of fun, and I get to work with
a really awesome guy for my boss.

That's fantastic. What kind of work are you doing?

I am turning bottle stoppers, and they are very very heavy duty, half
inch bolts threading into the wood and such like to put them together
with a stainlesss steel body.

its production work, 50seconds is how long it takes me to do that on
average now to do the roughing drilling tapping and glueing in a bolt.

the finish turning (on a small lathe) takes a lot longer, but is a good
deal less stressful.

its good money too, and since its work I love doing, I'm paying for my
tools to set up my own shop with what I earn from it, so that when I've
got a shop done, I'll have paid for everything in it by turning wood and
I won't have an hour and a half on a bus to get to work (which costs 4$
roundtrip)
I'll spend the weekends roughing, and then finish turn at home.
and I have to admit his spiel to sell them is right, they are the best
available anywhereG
the amount of work in each one is amazing.

--

Maybe I'm just a pessimist and am totally wrong; I could live quite
happily with that.
-SATAN
Sane people are just lunatics in denial.
_Delta Nine
Bruce

Reyd wrote in message .. .
In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Reyd
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back Reyd:

Glad you're doing well. My hobby has also started to produce fruits. A
local Specialty shop in an upscale mall has taken some 30 pieces and
they are selling at prices I would not have thought possible for an
"unknown" artist.

Good luck with your new job and shop.

The Other Bruce
Reyd

[...]