Drill Press Table Lift

Old August 1st 04, 09:03 PM
RonB

Default Drill Press Table Lift

(also posted in abpw, rw)

Has anyone see a source for retrofit table lifts for drill presses? I am
gathering parts to add a larger table, with fence system, to my vintage
Craftsman 17" floor model. The table is kind of heavy now and my addition
is going to make it more difficult to lift and drop. I'm just looking for
the a plain old rack and pinion lift, or similar - nothing fancy.

If no sources, any other ideas?

Old August 1st 04, 10:31 PM
[email protected]

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 14:03:48 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

(also posted in abpw, rw)

Has anyone see a source for retrofit table lifts for drill presses? I am
gathering parts to add a larger table, with fence system, to my vintage
Craftsman 17" floor model. The table is kind of heavy now and my addition
is going to make it more difficult to lift and drop. I'm just looking for
the a plain old rack and pinion lift, or similar - nothing fancy.

If no sources, any other ideas?

how about a cable over a pulley and a counterweight?
Old August 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
David Harper

Ron

Do a search at Shop Notes and Wood Magazine.

I remember that one of them had a set up that used a cable , a pulley system
and a can of sand , to aid in lifting a drill press table. I dodn remember
when it was.

I hope that points you in the right direction to find what you need.

Old August 2nd 04, 05:26 AM
Leo Lichtman

"RonB" wrote: (clip) If no sources, any other ideas?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about mounting another table below the main, heavy one, and putting a
jack between them? You could use an automotive scissor jack or a hydraulic
bottle jack.

Another idea would be to put the jack on the floor, under the table, and cut
assorted lengths of pipe you could fit between the jack and the underside of
the table. The difference between pipe lengths should equal the maximum
lift of the jack.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:11 AM
Ken Vaughn

wrote in message

how about a cable over a pulley and a counterweight?

That's what I used on my old Craftsman. I had an iron plate that was just
the right weight, so I used that -- here are a couple of photos:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ter_weight.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...er_balance.jpg
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Old August 2nd 04, 06:23 AM
RonB

I had an earlier post suggesting a counterweight and pully that got me
thinking. These pictures give it some life. This looks do-able.

Thanks to both of you
Ron Brogan

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old August 2nd 04, 12:36 PM
George

Thanks Ken, looks like that attachment point would keep the thing from
binding on the column. Still would like to see a retrofit, but this will
help the back.

"Ken Vaughn" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message

how about a cable over a pulley and a counterweight?

That's what I used on my old Craftsman. I had an iron plate that was just
the right weight, so I used that -- here are a couple of photos:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...ter_weight.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65...er_balance.jpg
--
Ken Vaughn
Visit My Workshop: http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/

Keyless Chuck for Drill Press Bernie Hunt Woodworking 2 June 4th 04 01:31 AM
Drill Press Bob Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 08:15 PM
Drill Press Mini-Gloat Chris Wood Woodworking 2 April 18th 04 05:01 PM
Drill press sanding drums nbaxley Woodworking 6 April 15th 04 04:04 PM
Tool sharpening in general ss Metalworking 4 October 28th 03 01:55 PM