Shawn Wilson

Default virtual lathe (Flash)

Hi,

I've been playing around with Flash, making a "virtual lathe". My main goal was
to play with Flash, not necessarily make a useful program, but I'm thinking it
might be helpful as a visualization aide. It's still a work in progress. I was
hoping to get some suggestions/feedback before completing it.

I'd noted some limitations thus far: save and load don't work yet (clicking them
freezes the program), cutting starts immediately without user intervention (I'll
add a tool later), you can't get a perfect 90 degree (or less) cut, you can't
cut any extra off the left or the right sides (all you can do is make it very
thin), printing design with a black background hurts the pocketbook

http://glassgiant.com/misc_virtual_lathe.swf

Use your cursor to work from the bottom of the rectangle. I'd appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks,
Shawn

--
Shawn Wilson

http://www.glassgiant.com
Derek Hartzell

Some instructions would be good. Putting this in lathe terms, like height,
width, depth of cut rather than line width and graphic terms would be good.
Toggling between inside and outside cutting would also be interesting.

A depth of cut would be good, so it could quickly cut all the way to the
center.

Nice work!

Derek

Ken Grunke

Shawn Wilson wrote:
Hi,

I've been playing around with Flash, making a "virtual lathe". My main goal was
to play with Flash, not necessarily make a useful program, but I'm thinking it
might be helpful as a visualization aide. It's still a work in progress. I was
hoping to get some suggestions/feedback before completing it.

This has some good potential--I didn't know you could do such a thing
with Flash. I've played around with it on a basic level so I know it
would take a lot of time to create something like this.

The problem I had was if I took a bigger bite than I wanted (mouse
slipped) I couldn't undo my slip. Is an undo button possible?

It would really be neat if one could start with a straight line with
maybe 60 control points, and manipulate any point either in or out into
a bezier curve.

Here's what I made with your virtual lathe:
http://www.ken.crwoodturner.com/images/vase.gif

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Member, Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter
http://www.crwoodturner.com/

Mike Patterson

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:12:25 -0300, Shawn Wilson
wrote:

[...]

Cool! I successfully made a Skinny stick and a Thick stick, just like
I do in my basement! :-)

Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."