cactus juice

Old April 20th 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default cactus juice

anyone tried this stuff

have some material that might not turn well as it is but this cactus
juice might make it possible

it is expensive so i would not want to experiment but i see knife
makers using this to stabilize scales for handle making so maybe i
could use it for that if not for turning

https://www.turntex.com/product/cact...resin-and-dyes

Old April 20th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-04-20 1:22 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

anyone tried this stuff

have some material that might not turn well as it is but this cactus
juice might make it possible

it is expensive so i would not want to experiment but i see knife
makers using this to stabilize scales for handle making so maybe i
could use it for that if not for turning

https://www.turntex.com/product/cact...resin-and-dyes

The local chapter of AAW has just had a meeting on resin impregnating
and the speakers emphasised that this should be used before filling with
coloured epoxies. However, note that the curing temperature is ~200F.
You need to put it in an oven to cure - NOT the one in your kitchen!!
Get an old one for your workshop.
HTH
Graham
Old April 21st 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 16:29:43 -0600
graham wrote:

The local chapter of AAW has just had a meeting on resin impregnating
and the speakers emphasised that this should be used before filling
with coloured epoxies. However, note that the curing temperature is

did they mention any brand names

i also read about one called pentacryl

some of it seems a bit over the top and i think the vacuum stuff is
minimally useful for forcing the resin into the wood and in one video
it looks like they are boiling off the volatile compounds in the resin
product

some of the products contain a polymer in a solution of acetone or the
like

Old April 21st 17, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

The local chapter of AAW has just had a meeting on resin impregnating
and the speakers emphasised that this should be used before filling
with coloured epoxies. However, note that the curing temperature is

did they mention any brand names

"Cactus Juice" is the brand name.
https://www.turntex.com/product/cact...resin-and-dyes

i also read about one called pentacryl

Don't know.

some of it seems a bit over the top and i think the vacuum stuff is
minimally useful for forcing the resin into the wood and in one video
it looks like they are boiling off the volatile compounds in the resin
product

That's probably air coming out. A friend who uses epoxy to impregnate
wood, puts the pot of mixed epoxy in a vacuum chamber for a while and it
foams up as the air bubbles, that were emplaced during mixing, are
forced out.

When the newsletter describing their techniques comes out, I'll provide
more info.
Graham
Old April 22nd 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 16:28:26 -0600 graham wrote:

"Cactus Juice" is the brand name.

right like the subject
but i guess that was the only one discussed

That's probably air coming out. A friend who uses epoxy to impregnate
wood, puts the pot of mixed epoxy in a vacuum chamber for a while and
it foams up as the air bubbles, that were emplaced during mixing, are
forced out.

as pressure decreases boiling point goes lower so if it is volatile at
room temp it is more so as pressure decreases

but some could be air from mixing

looking for some cross sections of stabilized pieces to see how far
resin penetrates

Old April 22nd 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2017-04-22 10:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 16:28:26 -0600 graham wrote:

"Cactus Juice" is the brand name.

right like the subject
but i guess that was the only one discussed

That's probably air coming out. A friend who uses epoxy to impregnate
wood, puts the pot of mixed epoxy in a vacuum chamber for a while and
it foams up as the air bubbles, that were emplaced during mixing, are
forced out.

as pressure decreases boiling point goes lower so if it is volatile at
room temp it is more so as pressure decreases

but some could be air from mixing

I'm aware of that but in this case I think air coming out is dominant.

looking for some cross sections of stabilized pieces to see how far
resin penetrates

One of the presenters made knife handles and in the examples I saw,
penetration was at or close to 100% of the porous parts.
Incidentally, they also spoke of a much more environmentally and healthy
type of epoxy that is much less prone to give allergic reactions. I'll
give the name when I get the newsletter.

Graham
Old April 24th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:11:03 -0600
graham wrote:

One of the presenters made knife handles and in the examples I saw,
penetration was at or close to 100% of the porous parts.

curious how they determined 100 percent

Incidentally, they also spoke of a much more environmentally and
healthy type of epoxy that is much less prone to give allergic
reactions. I'll give the name when I get the newsletter.

the cactus juice was advertised similarly iirc

Old April 25th 17, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

One of the presenters made knife handles and in the examples I saw,
penetration was at or close to 100% of the porous parts.

curious how they determined 100 percent

Incidentally, they also spoke of a much more environmentally and
healthy type of epoxy that is much less prone to give allergic
reactions. I'll give the name when I get the newsletter.

the cactus juice was advertised similarly iirc

If you are a member of the AAW, there is an article in the January 2014
(29:1)journal on stabilizing wood with methyl methacrylate, a 2-part
resin that is cured by heat.
It seems that Cactus Juice might be that as it comes mixed or in 2
parts. Once mixed, it will keep for some months as it needs 200F to cure.
Graham
Old Today, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

One of the presenters made knife handles and in the examples I saw,
penetration was at or close to 100% of the porous parts.

curious how they determined 100 percent

Incidentally, they also spoke of a much more environmentally and
healthy type of epoxy that is much less prone to give allergic
reactions. I'll give the name when I get the newsletter.

the cactus juice was advertised similarly iirc

As it happens, the guy in our club didn't use cactus juice but the
following:
Godfrey Wing 95-1000A
Google it and look at the non-GW sites. It is expensive but if you are
into a lot of wood impregnation, or have friends that will split the
cost, it might be OK.
Graham
Old Today, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:01:47 -0600
graham wrote:

As it happens, the guy in our club didn't use cactus juice but the
following:
Godfrey Wing 95-1000A
Google it and look at the non-GW sites. It is expensive but if you
are into a lot of wood impregnation, or have friends that will split
the cost, it might be OK.

interesting stuff seems overpriced but they are a specialty business and
not geared toward consumers

i did a cost benefit analysis and decided that using a two part resin
is the way to go

will just use less catalyst to slow setup time

OT beetroot juice Stuart Noble UK diy 129 April 16th 16 10:57 AM
Cactus problems KenK Home Repair 12 June 29th 13 02:57 AM
celebrity juice brass monkey UK diy 2 November 14th 12 08:28 PM
OT little boy wants apple juice mm Home Repair 1 June 16th 07 11:31 AM
How much juice does it use? aspasia Home Repair 25 November 17th 06 11:01 PM