Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default lathe bed design

have not read the entire thing but it looks interesting

https://archive.org/details/lathebeddesign00hornrich

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 7:03:33 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
have not read the entire thing but it looks interesting

https://archive.org/details/lathebeddesign00hornrich

I didn't read it either. But I can't understand how you could write a thesis or lengthy paper on this subject. Remember lathe beds can also be two planks or wood joists on edge. Conover lathes use this design for the lathe bed. Anytime you can just stand two joists on edge close together and have them function perfectly fine, it can't be too complicated. About as involved as making sure the pulleys on the motor line up with the pulleys on the headstock. Not too complicated.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote in
:

I didn't read it either. But I can't understand how you could write a
thesis or lengthy paper on this subject. Remember lathe beds can also
be two planks or wood joists on edge. Conover lathes use this design
for the lathe bed. Anytime you can just stand two joists on edge
close together and have them function perfectly fine, it can't be too
complicated. About as involved as making sure the pulleys on the
motor line up with the pulleys on the headstock. Not too complicated.

Depends on what you're doing with your lathe... For turning between
centers, two nails is good enough. Your precision comes from turning the
piece round.

For an operation like drilling, the bed design makes a difference. If
your bed is flexing and moving, you won't get an accurate hole at all.
It could actually move enough to break a bit.

I haven't looked at the article, but I suspect much of it refers to
machinist lathes. There, the bed design is absolutely critical. The
cross slide rides on it and the tailstock rides on it, and being out by
1/32" over 3" is huge!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 18:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

I didn't read it either. But I can't understand how you could write
a thesis or lengthy paper on this subject. Remember lathe beds can

a sign of the times as that was written long ago and it was worthwhile
to impart the knowledge into the entire trade

also be two planks or wood joists on edge. Conover lathes use this

he makes a brief mention of the wood beds with a quick history