Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
lin lin is offline

Default Clueless wife

I need help!

My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically does. On the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on his previous lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new variable speed motor for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and don't even know where to start.

Any help would be great appreciated!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"lin" wrote in message

I need help!

My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The
problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically does. On
the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on his previous
lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new variable speed motor
for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and don't even know where to
start.

Any help would be great appreciated!

If the lathe has a speed adjustment capability now (likely stepped pulleys)
it sounds like a change of the pulley on the motor, and perhaps the belt, is
all that is needed to slow it down overall. For example, a smaller pulley on
the motor would reduce the speed for each pulley on the top. Has you husband
looked into this approach?

Does the lathe have a set up similar to the one pictured here, i.e., one
pulley on the motor and a stepped pulley on top? If so this may solve the
problem (inexpensively!).
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...638010c276.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2016-12-09 17:58:48 +0000, lin said:

I need help!
My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The
problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically
does. On the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on
his previous lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new
variable speed motor for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and
don't even know where to start.
Any help would be great appreciated!

The problem would be that a lathe variable speed motor can go two ways,
the cheap way is a DC motor and a simple rheostat.

The more expensive way is a multi-phase motor and a control box for that.

The problem with the DC motor is the motor lacks power at any voltage
but "full".

The other solution depends on getting the right motor and speed control

It almost might be easier to simply get a slower motor to replace the
one he put in

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

As mentioned previously, changing the pulleys on the lathe may be all that is needed. That is a user operator error. However, if the pulleys still do not allow the lathe to run slow enough, a new motor may solve the problem without affecting anything else on the lathe. Assume the current motor is a 3650 rpm motor now. By changing the motor to an 1800 rpm motor, you cut all the speeds in half no matter which pulleys you are using. Go over to Google and type in "1800 rpm motor" and you will see many motors show up in price from $80 on up. In various horsepower from 1/4 to 1.5 hp. Just get one the same hp as the current motor. Hopefully the shaft will be the same so the pulleys will slide on easy. And someone will have to know something about wiring to put a cord and/or switch on the motor.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:58:48 -0800 (PST)
lin wrote:

Any help would be great appreciated!

simple
buy the pinnacle c1

or if more old skool buy the oliver

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 12:58:50 PM UTC-5, lin wrote:
I need help!

My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically does. On the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on his previous lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new variable speed motor for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and don't even know where to start.

Any help would be great appreciated!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 12:58:50 PM UTC-5, lin wrote:
I need help!

My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically does. On the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on his previous lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new variable speed motor for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and don't even know where to start.

Any help would be great appreciated!

Thank you everybody for all of the ideas! This will be a big help : )
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 12:58:50 PM UTC-5, lin wrote:
I need help!

My husband has an old Delta Milwaukee bench lathe from the 1940s. The problem is that the motor is too fast for the turning he typically does. On the lowest setting, it's still faster than the highest one on his previous lather (3200). I would like to surprise him with a new variable speed motor for this lathe, but I'm way out of my element and don't even know where to start.

Any help would be great appreciated!

Thank you everybody for all of the ideas! This will be a big help!

clueless shop staff Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 21 May 24th 14 08:40 AM
A clueless woman ARWadsworth UK diy 26 January 27th 12 09:30 AM
UK DIYers clueless about tools The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 64 July 30th 10 07:17 PM
Clueless customers Jeff Liebermann Electronics Repair 37 March 16th 10 01:38 AM
Clueless about Flueless Hammer Chewer UK diy 6 December 20th 03 12:47 PM