Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rasp for turning

Never being one to avoid asking what's on my mind...

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was wondering
if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain turning projects
that really don't want a whole lot of material to be removed at once.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Puckdropper wrote:
Never being one to avoid asking what's on my mind...

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was wondering
if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain turning projects
that really don't want a whole lot of material to be removed at once.

Puckdropper

Try it and bring us a report.

I have used a belt sander on a piece while it was turning on the
lathe. Had it turning in reverse at the time and it worked ok. I
forget now what I was working on.

--
GW Ross

In comic strips, the person on the
left always speaks first. --George Carlin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 8:53:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Never being one to avoid asking what's on my mind...

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was wondering
if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain turning projects
that really don't want a whole lot of material to be removed at once.

Puckdropper

You know, it might be interesting to watch a Youtube video of someone using a sureform rasp on a lathe. That is about as close as I would want to come to actually doing it. You are going to have catches and tearout galore.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Puckdropper wrote:
Never being one to avoid asking what's on my mind...

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was wondering
if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain turning projects
that really don't want a whole lot of material to be removed at once.

Puckdropper

OK I tried it. I used a sharp surform (small hand-held type). The
heel rested on the tool rest and I held the center against the work
with varying pressure. The piece was a 4" cylinder 4" long which had
been roughly turned round. It was well dried sweetgum wood.

At 100 rpm it caught and stalled the lathe. At 400 rpm it soon filled
with shavings. The blade was hot to the touch. There were multiple
mini-tearouts which did not happen with a bowl gouge. Also slower
than a sharp gouge. My impression: not useful.

Years ago I made a special baseplate for my router and a tool rest for
it to ride on and tried it for rounding irregular pieces. At that
time I only had a hand-me-down HF monotube lathe. It did work, but
was cumbersome and scary and I soon abandoned the idea.

--
GW Ross

In the long run men hit only what they
aim at. (Thoreau)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"G. Ross" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Good to know, thanks! I got a little busy (a good kind of busy) and
haven't gotten back to the lathe with the tool to try it. At 400 RPMs,
though, with that tool filling with shavings and getting hot means my
lathe (a HF lathe) at it's slowest speed, 600 RPM, would probably
damage/dull the tool rather quickly.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Would a surform rasp or similar have any use on the lathe? I was
wondering if it would be handy for those "chippy" or wrong-way grain
turning projects that really don't want a whole lot of material to be
removed at once.

It could be useful, but not in the way you're thinking. When
roughing a square piece, I will use a rasp to take off the hard
corners, before actually turning. My headstock locks, so I will
use that to hold the piece, take the rasp to the corner, unlock,
turn 45 degrees, knock off the next corner, etc. A sureform would
work just as well for this. At any rate, it does make roughing out
a piece a bit easier.