Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Recommendations?

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already have
a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.
Has anyone here any recommendations?
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:41:58 -0600
graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already
have a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.

how small or what is the upper size limit

i have seen some truly small ones that are about 18 inches long

i see a lot of mini lathes for sale and of course there are midis
too

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already
have a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.

how small or what is the upper size limit

i have seen some truly small ones that are about 18 inches long

i see a lot of mini lathes for sale and of course there are midis
too

It seems to me that some "midis" are the same size as some "minis".
I have been looking at, among others:
General 14"x17"
http://tiny.cc/cl6tby

King 12"x18"
http://www.brettwood.com/inc/sdetail/30/3521

Rikon VS (12.5"x20")
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,330,73598

Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already
have a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.

how small or what is the upper size limit

i have seen some truly small ones that are about 18 inches long

i see a lot of mini lathes for sale and of course there are midis
too

I have been looking at, among others:
General 14"x17"
http://tiny.cc/cl6tby

King 12"x18"
http://www.brettwood.com/inc/sdetail/30/3521

Rikon VS (12.5"x20")
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,330,73598

I have the Rikon. I am very satisfied with it. Very solidly built, for
example 1" diameter
toolpost. 1HP, reversing, variable speed. However the Lee Valley price
seems way out of line -
I paid only about $600 including shipping from Sears.
John

Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

[...]

The LV price is in Canadian$. $849 = ~US$650.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:41:58 -0600, graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already have
a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.
Has anyone here any recommendations?
Graham

Since you're familiar with the General brand, might I suggest the
25-200VS "maxi-lathe". I've had one for several years now and love the
pivoting head, the electronic variable speed, and the large capacity
outboard capability.

Like several people, I had the first variable speed control go bad, but
it was replaced promptly and I haven't had any trouble since. If that
bothers you, I'd suggest looking for another mini with at least the
pivoting head feature. Really makes it easier on your back to turn the
head out 30-40 degrees.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 31 May 2016 13:58:44 -0600
graham wrote:

It seems to me that some "midis" are the same size as some "minis".

yes
marketeers like to give new definitions to words
blurring the lines like maxi for the general

I have been looking at, among others:
General 14"x17"
http://tiny.cc/cl6tby

the 25-200 has speed control and a swivel head

if i ever get another lathe it will have electronic variable speed
control and maybe a swivel head

King 12"x18"
http://www.brettwood.com/inc/sdetail/30/3521

never seen one of these nothing stands out about it

Rikon VS (12.5"x20")
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,330,73598

forgot leevalley carries rikon now
seems like a strange arrangement but maybe they bought it or bought
a say in rikon

have heard that grizzly stuff has improved
heard that one of the newer and larger lathes was getting a lot of
mention but not sure if that means their bench top lathe is better

have seen many small lathes on craigslist but have only looked in
usa

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 31/05/2016 7:18 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 12:41:58 -0600, graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already have
a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.
Has anyone here any recommendations?
Graham

Since you're familiar with the General brand, might I suggest the
25-200VS "maxi-lathe". I've had one for several years now and love the
pivoting head, the electronic variable speed, and the large capacity
outboard capability.

Like several people, I had the first variable speed control go bad, but
it was replaced promptly and I haven't had any trouble since. If that
bothers you, I'd suggest looking for another mini with at least the
pivoting head feature. Really makes it easier on your back to turn the
head out 30-40 degrees.

That looks ideal but does the speed control box project in front of the
headstock?
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

[...]

The Rikon looks to be pretty good. I checked one in the LV store here
and the live centre was dead in line with the spur drive, a good sign of
accuracy and overall quality.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 1:41:54 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already have
a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.
Has anyone here any recommendations?
Graham

Electric Comet is right, "What size are you looking for?" Since you have a General 160, a 10" mini just might fill the bill. BUT make sure the headstock and tailstock are #2 Morse taper AND the headstock has a 1x8 thread pattern. That way you will be able to use your chucks on both lathes.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already
have a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.

how small or what is the upper size limit

i have seen some truly small ones that are about 18 inches long

i see a lot of mini lathes for sale and of course there are midis
too

It seems to me that some "midis" are the same size as some "minis".
I have been looking at, among others:
General 14"x17"
http://tiny.cc/cl6tby

My understanding it that General no longer builds any lathes in Canada

King 12"x18"
http://www.brettwood.com/inc/sdetail/30/3521

I've read poor reports on the King

Rikon VS (12.5"x20")
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,330,73598

Graham

I've seen nothing bad about the Rikon

There is also the Jet 1015VS and 1221VS, both have a solid rep.
Regionally (Seattle) have the Jet/PM "factory outlet" and we can score
major deals on returned/ damaged (repaired) units

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 31 May 2016 19:39:56 -0600, graham wrote:

That looks ideal but does the speed control box project in front of the
headstock?

I couldn't think what you meant until I took a closer look at the photo
on their site. Sure looks like it, doesn't it? But I know it doesn't
get in the way on mine, so I looked around a little more. Here's a
picture from a better angle:

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/genera...the-headstock-
swivels-easy-speed-readout/

It does appear to project a little bit, but it is still behind the boss
that holds the headstock bearing. As can be deduced by the second photo.

BTW, I see that user has done the same thing I did. The outboard
extension came on the left end of the lathe, so I had to rotate the head
to use it. I moved it to the right end to fix that so the left end is
near a wall and the right end is at the end of the cabinet I've mounted
it on. I just took the head off, reversed the bed, and remounted the
head.

But reading some reviews on one site, it seems there is still an
appreciable rate of failure in the electronics. You might want to talk
to General about that. I'd hesitate to recommend the lathe if it hadn't
been that my second control has lasted for years.

If mine does ever fail, I think I'd just turn to some of the computer
hardware experts rather than return it to General - especially if I could
talk them out of a circuit diagram :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 01/06/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the electronic failure was due to the control being made in
China and your replacement was made in the US.
General used to be a proud Canadian company (like Powermatic in the US)
but I don't know who owns it now.
Many thanks for all your input! I've been thinking about how I would
re-arrange my "shop", which is in a corner of my basement.
Graham
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a bench top lathe for small stuff. I already
have a General 160 (made in Quebec) for the larger projects.

how small or what is the upper size limit

i have seen some truly small ones that are about 18 inches long

i see a lot of mini lathes for sale and of course there are midis
too

It seems to me that some "midis" are the same size as some "minis".
I have been looking at, among others:
General 14"x17"
http://tiny.cc/cl6tby

My understanding it that General no longer builds any lathes in Canada

The foundry was closed some years ago and, AIUI, the company sold. All
the products are now called General International, made in Taiwan or the
PRC, the only link with the General of old being the distinctive green
paint jobs.

King 12"x18"
http://www.brettwood.com/inc/sdetail/30/3521

I've read poor reports on the King

That's good to know as there is one in a local showroom owned by people
I trust.

Rikon VS (12.5"x20")
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...at=1,330,73598

Graham

I've seen nothing bad about the Rikon

It seems to be of very good quality.

There is also the Jet 1015VS and 1221VS, both have a solid rep.
Regionally (Seattle) have the Jet/PM "factory outlet" and we can score
major deals on returned/ damaged (repaired) units

I think the Craftex brand sold by Busy Bee in Canada is re-branded Jet.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

graham wrote:

[...]

So many come from the same factory and just have different paint jobs.
Graham

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

To a very large extent, the big lathe can do small projects, and not so
much vice-versa.

Given you have a decent-quality large lathe, what do you find limiting
about it that makes you want a smaller one? Does it have a terribly
limited top speed?

A jeweler's or watch-maker's lathe starts to get into the range where
it's actually easier to do work of that scale on a lathe of that scale.
Chessmen, pens etc are no problem on a full-sized lathe, IMPE, unless
the full sized lathe has issues, and those will be issues for any size
of work, if perhaps more blatant on small-scale work.