Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default interesting old multi-speed lathe

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5323622087.html
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That would be an interesting item in a wood turning shop.
It would be ideal in an old mill shop that the power was
taken from a water wheel that drives the shaft. Belt off
the shaft to any other shaft and then to a machine...

Martin

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5323622087.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:03:41 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5323622087.html

Vintage, for sure! Looks like an old baseball bat setup...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 22:52:12 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

That would be an interesting item in a wood turning shop.
It would be ideal in an old mill shop that the power was
taken from a water wheel that drives the shaft. Belt off
the shaft to any other shaft and then to a machine...

wind driven lathe would be unique

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 08:20:09 -0800
Mac Davis wrote:

Vintage, for sure! Looks like an old baseball bat setup...

you think it is a single purpose lathe
that is interesting
it looks like a production lathe for sure

would those bat lathes be single speed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac Davis wrote:

Vintage, for sure! Looks like an old baseball bat setup...

you think it is a single purpose lathe
that is interesting
it looks like a production lathe for sure

would those bat lathes be single speed

I have no idea about speed... I would think that most people would
turn at a higher speed than that would sand at...
Just looks to me like it was used for bats or columns some kind...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 14:06:40 -0800
Mac Davis wrote:

I have no idea about speed... I would think that most people would
turn at a higher speed than that would sand at...

i would not want to change speeds often
looks like it would take some time to do

Just looks to me like it was used for bats or columns some kind...

the length is right for long spindles but i do not see a long tool rest
which is what i would expect for making bats

nice lathe but a lot of work to install that into a shop

probably loud too with those belts

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Electric Comet wrote:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/5323622087.html

i see two additional tool rest holders on the floor so with three tool rests
t could be the full length of a bat or table leg spindles
or banisters etc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac Davis wrote:

I have no idea about speed... I would think that most people would
turn at a higher speed than that would sand at...

i would not want to change speeds often
looks like it would take some time to do

Just looks to me like it was used for bats or columns some kind...

the length is right for long spindles but i do not see a long tool rest
which is what i would expect for making bats

nice lathe but a lot of work to install that into a shop

probably loud too with those belts

Flat belts in good trim are not overly noisy, nor particularly difficult
to change speeds on. Looks to be one of the "Pair of wooden beam" bed
variants. Seller is evidently prouder of the motor than the lathe as
there's no readable shot of the headstock badge (if any).

I have a couple similar 1880's lathes, though with cast iron beds - one
metal-oriented, the other a pattern-makers which bears evidence of also
being used for metal-spinning.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:54:34 -0500
Ecnerwal wrote:

Flat belts in good trim are not overly noisy, nor particularly
difficult to change speeds on. Looks to be one of the "Pair of wooden
beam" bed variants. Seller is evidently prouder of the motor than the
lathe as there's no readable shot of the headstock badge (if any).

i thought the bed had a light patina of rust in that one shot
never thought it was wood
but now i see that it is wood
it is a beautiful lathe

I have a couple similar 1880's lathes, though with cast iron beds -
one metal-oriented, the other a pattern-makers which bears evidence
of also being used for metal-spinning.

do the belts ever break or come off

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Electric Comet wrote:

do the belts ever break or come off

They don't last forever, of course, but they last a good long time.

If the pulleys are properly aligned they don't come off unless you ask
them to.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 15:28:50 -0500
Ecnerwal wrote:

They don't last forever, of course, but they last a good long time.

If the pulleys are properly aligned they don't come off unless you
ask them to.

i was thinking about a broken belt and where it would end up

i just would not want to find out

looking more at that lathe it is a really nice one for that vintage
it seems to me that it has been well cared for