Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mother & Child sweetgum bowls

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
--
 GW Ross

 If the universe is expanding, why
 can't I find a parking space?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/25/2014 11:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice work. Wish I had a lathe like that.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:58:03 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice, Gerald.... I gave up on coring, never could get it right...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Nice, Gerald.... I gave up on coring, never could get it right...

I love it, even if I can't use the center portion. It is so fast!
But unless the outside is a perfect arc the inside has to be turned by
hand a little to make it match the outside curve.

--
 GW Ross

 A good memory does not equal pale ink.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

Looks like for the dovetail for the chuck to turn on. Just guessing.
Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/
Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

I have found no satisfactory alternative for rounding the dovetail
recess in a warped bowl. Leaving it oval and irregular makes it
difficult to keep it on the chuck, and if slips during turning it is
almost impossible to get the same grip again without rounding it.
Some woods do not change shape as much with drying.
The color is fine, my photography is not.

--
 GW Ross

 A good memory does not equal pale ink.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 02:58:25 -0400, "G. Ross"

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83195184@N02/

Very nice bowls. A couple of questions:

why do you use a router and

is there no way to keep the beautiful color seen in #10

I have found no satisfactory alternative for rounding the dovetail
recess in a warped bowl. Leaving it oval and irregular makes it
difficult to keep it on the chuck, and if slips during turning it is
almost impossible to get the same grip again without rounding it.
Some woods do not change shape as much with drying.
The color is fine, my photography is not.

I am new to bowl turning and had not thought about the stem or recess
getting out of round during the drying process. I guess I better
ponder that a bit since I have 3 bowls currently drying.

Thanks for the pictures and the tip.

Mother & Child Sweetgum Bowls G. Ross Woodworking 2 October 26th 14 01:38 AM
Sweetgum bowls G. Ross Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 June 10th 13 10:34 PM
Sweetgum G. Ross Woodturning 0 June 8th 13 10:35 PM
Rent-A-Mother (Mother's Day Special) [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 13th 12 09:33 PM
Should this child victim's mother change the record? Phil Kyle UK diy 0 October 26th 06 10:19 PM