Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What's that chuck called?

I'm wanting to make something, and want to search on newbie mistakes
to avoid, but i don't recall what the thing is called.

It is a common chuck/jig for holding a bowl for finishing the bottom.

Roughly, it is two circles of plywood, the first on a faceplate or
such, and the second a donut that holds the bowl while exposing the
bottom for clean-up.

Brother, can you spare a name?

To borrow a phrasing from another group, I can be more vague if it
helps.

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
| when your future's been deferred
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It's called a donut chuck.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/31/2014 10:57 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
I'm wanting to make something, and want to search on newbie mistakes
to avoid, but i don't recall what the thing is called.

It is a common chuck/jig for holding a bowl for finishing the bottom.

Roughly, it is two circles of plywood, the first on a faceplate or
such, and the second a donut that holds the bowl while exposing the
bottom for clean-up.

Brother, can you spare a name?

To borrow a phrasing from another group, I can be more vague if it
helps.

A longworth chuck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=long...l-a&channel=sb

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:54:01 +0000, Drew Lawson wrote:

For some reason, I thought it was named for a person whose name I would
recognize.

You, and another poster, are confusing it with a Longworth chuck. That
one is a bit different, but serves the same purpose. See:

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
Larry Blanchard writes:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:54:01 +0000, Drew Lawson wrote:

For some reason, I thought it was named for a person whose name I would
recognize.

You, and another poster, are confusing it with a Longworth chuck.

That very well may be. I probably first encountered both in the
same week or two.

Thanks again to all.

That
one is a bit different, but serves the same purpose. See:

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/

--
Drew Lawson | I told them we had learned to change