Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Restored Craftsman lathe, with pictures

Around last August I posted here looking for information about a battered
old 70's-era Craftsman wood lathe that a friend and I had just bought as a
starter lathe to get us going in woodturning - thanks to everyone for the
useful responses I got to my post.

It took a while for me to get around to doing something with it, but within
the last couple months I built a bench for it and completely restored the
lathe. New ball bearings for the headstock and the motor, and a lot of work
on cleaning, painting, and refurbishment. I thought you might like to see
some pictures of the final outcome. If so, here's a link to a short
Photobucket slide show: http://bit.ly/1kMypuu

Picture 1:

This shows the lathe sitting on the custom bench I built for it, starting
with a simple bench plan from Fine Woodworking ("Build a bench in a
weekend"). I modified the dimensions considerably to size it down to suit a
lathe rather than a general-purpose woodworking bench. The casters on the
left let me lift it from the other end and move it around easily. Next step
one of these days is to add a couple drawers underneath for woodturning
tools and lathe tooling. When we picked out the wood to use, we tried to use
stuff we already had in the shop rather than buying new. So the legs on the
front turned out be from a couple pieces of purpleheart, and the back legs
are white oak. For the stringers we had a bunch of poplar lying around, and
the trim around the top is maple. Two coats of MinWax satin finished it off.
After I was done, we agreed that we should have looked a little harder to
see if we could have found some more purpleheart for the back legs.

Because this is a starter lathe, the top of the bench is a sacrificial piece
of 1/4" tempered hardboard, on top of 1 3/4" of MDF. When we outgrow this
lathe we'll just replace the sacrificial piece to hide the holes I drilled
to mount this lathe, and drill new ones for the replacement.

Picture 2:

This shows the lathe from the left. If you know what this lathe looks like
when it's complete, you can see that the sheet metal that the belt shroud
would attach to has been trimmed away. The belt shroud was long gone by the
time we got the lathe; no replacement is available from the Craftsman parts
site, and I'm not about to buy another one of these just to get a shroud. If
I decide I need one I'll make one out of laminated wood, and in the meantime
I'm going to avoid wearing long-sleeved sport shirts with the sleeves rolled
up and dangling, lest I catch something in the belt.

The motor sits on a piece of plywood, hinged at the front. It's adjusted so
that the back edge of the plywood floats in the air about a quarter-inch off
the bench. This gives me a reasonably tight belt, while making it easy to
change speeds. I just lift the back end of the motor to get the slack I need
to move the belt from one pair of pulleys to another, and then let the motor
drop back down. If I want to draw more horsepower from the motor, say when
I'm running a Forstner bit into the end of a turning, I can just bear down
on the motor with my left hand to tighten the belt.

I made a custom scraper from an old file and trued up the pulleys on both
the motor and the headstock. That got rid of most of the vibration, and the
link belt took care of the rest. It now runs smoothly on all four speeds.
Not nickel-on-edge smooth, but smooth enough.

Picture 3:

This just shows the lathe from a different viewpoint. Since this is a
starter lathe, and it has an MT1 taper instead of the more common MT2, I've
resisted the temptation to tool up since I wouldn't be able to reuse any
tooling or recover any of the costs when I sell it. However I was able to
find some bargains on drive centers - I found a MT1 Steb center for $4.95!
And since I took these pictures I found a 6" tool rest on eBay. Mostly we'll
be doing spindle turning and other small stuff on this lathe. As someone on
this newsgroup warned me, it's nowhere near rigid enough for any significant
bowl turning.

Even after all this, it's not going to be worth much for resale. But at a
hundred dollars, say, someone would be getting a pretty good little worker
of a starter lathe, with all its problems worked out and in some respects
even better than when it was new. I couldn't turn it into a silk purse,
though - it's definitely still a sow's ear. But it's our sow's ear, and will
be until we outgrow it.

Best regards,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tdacon wrote:
[...]

Looks like a new one! I started on it's clone from HF. I bought a
chuck for mine which uses an insert to match the threads on the
headstock, then when I moved up to a larger machine I just had to buy
a matching insert. I still use it for buffing and polishing at it's
highest speed. So don't sell it--use it for an accessory.

--
 GW Ross

 We find the defendant innocent by
 reason of being generally clueless.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"G. Ross" wrote in message

I bought a chuck for mine which uses an insert to match the threads on the
headstock, then when I moved up to a larger machine I just had to buy a
matching insert.

That sounds like a good plan.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 7/21/2014 3:31 PM, tdacon wrote:
Around last August I posted here looking for information about a
battered old 70's-era Craftsman wood lathe that a friend and I had just
bought as a starter lathe to get us going in woodturning - thanks to
everyone for the useful responses I got to my post.

snip
Best regards,
Tom

Man your shop is clean.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"asdfasdf" wrote in message ...

On 7/21/2014 3:31 PM, tdacon wrote:

Man your shop is clean.

Well, you know, I swept it up before I took the pictures :-)

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Monday, July 21, 2014 4:31:25 PM UTC-3, tdacon wrote:
[...]

Wow very nice job. I bought one of those new. It was my first lathe.