Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Seasoning timber.

This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d x
200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Stuart wrote:

This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some

pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d

200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

It may be too late already, but split the piece by cutting each side of the
plinth (very center of the tree) removed as it is the source of splits as
the piece is drying. Then paint the exposed end grain with two or three
coats of latex paint (assuming you cannot get your hands on Anchorseal).

If you are going to turn the cherry, you really want to rough turn it green
and leave the wall thickness 10% of the diameter. Then put it in a heavy
brown paper bag. or wrap it in a couple layers newspaper, and let it dry for
at least six months. Then remount and do the final turning and finish.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Stuart wrote:

This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d x
200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

Stuart,

The largest bowl blank that you will get out of the 400mm x 200mm is
200mm. To get a bowl blank, you split the the log length wise in half,
so you will have 2 pieces 400mm wide x 200mm long x 200mm thick.When you
cut it in half, you want to cut it through the pith, which is the center
of the growth rings. doing so, one piece may be thicker than 200mm, and
the other will be less than 200mm. The length, not the diameter,
determines the diameter of the bowl. When to cut a 200mm circle out of
your 400mm x200mm piece, it should fit fine on your lathe.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Dan Kozar wrote:
Stuart,

The largest bowl blank that you will get out of the 400mm x 200mm is
200mm. To get a bowl blank, you split the the log length wise in half,
so you will have 2 pieces 400mm wide x 200mm long x 200mm thick.When you
cut it in half, you want to cut it through the pith, which is the center
of the growth rings. doing so, one piece may be thicker than 200mm, and
the other will be less than 200mm. The length, not the diameter,
determines the diameter of the bowl. When to cut a 200mm circle out of
your 400mm x200mm piece, it should fit fine on your lathe.

Thanks for that.

At present I have a 7x12 metal-working mini-lathe but I have an 11x27
metal-working lathe on order. This has a Tee-slot cross-slide so the
standard top-slide and tool-post can be removed and something more akin to
a conventional wood-turning tool rest fitted. I have a 4" wood-turning
chuck (Axminster clubman) which I intend to modify to fit.

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Dr. Deb wrote:
It may be too late already, but split the piece by cutting each side of
the plinth (very center of the tree) removed as it is the source of
splits as the piece is drying. Then paint the exposed end grain with
two or three coats of latex paint (assuming you cannot get your hands
on Anchorseal).

I have often seen mention of "Latex" paint where American woodworkers are
involved and came to the conclusion that it must be what we in the UK call
"Emulsion" paint. Is anyone able to confirm this?

If you are going to turn the cherry, you really want to rough turn it
green and leave the wall thickness 10% of the diameter. Then put it in
a heavy brown paper bag. or wrap it in a couple layers newspaper, and
let it dry for at least six months. Then remount and do the final
turning and finish.

Noted

--
Stuart Winsor

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 02/02/2014 01:39 PM, Stuart wrote:
I have often seen mention of "Latex" paint where American woodworkers are
involved and came to the conclusion that it must be what we in the UK call
"Emulsion" paint. Is anyone able to confirm this?

I don't know if it's the same or not, but latex paint is water based and
cleans up with soap and warm water. The other common type of paint is
"oil paint". If Emulsion is water based, odds are it's equivalent...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 2:13:40 PM UTC, Stuart wrote:
This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d x
200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

--
Stuart Winsor

You dont need to semi cut your "log" at all , brush both ends with molten wax , no fancy end seal is needed.. and store in a cool to cold but not freezing well aired place for 1 year per inch diameter.. so yours is 200mm/8 inches... wait 8 years and it will be perfectly seasoned... I know it sounds harsh to deny you working your wood but turning is a life not a now and then... the more wood you season the more wood will be yours in the future..

as for the pith, as it dries over the years it can be tube plugged and the ending and lasting result will be a mid ring piece of craft and not just a side grain swipe at one of the best fruit woods you can turn.

Best wishes .. Foxwood.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 2:13:40 PM UTC, Stuart wrote:
This is a topic I know nothing about.

A friend of mine had a cherry tree chopped down and offered me some pieces
of it.

The largest is roughly 400mm diameter x 200mm long (far too big for my
lathe), there are a couple of pieces 150mm d x 160mm l and some 70mm d x
200mm l.

Advice on how to season these properly for turning please.

Stuart

--
Stuart Winsor

if 400mm diameter , 16-17 inches then bole into 400mm lengths, wax and store for the future.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
wrote:
You dont need to semi cut your "log" at all , brush both ends with
molten wax , no fancy end seal is needed.. and store in a cool to cold
but not freezing well aired place for 1 year per inch diameter.. so
yours is 200mm/8 inches... wait 8 years and it will be perfectly
seasoned... I know it sounds harsh to deny you working your wood but
turning is a life not a now and then... the more wood you season the
more wood will be yours in the future..

Thanks for the info.

It is currently residing in my shed, which is well insulated and has a
300W heater on a thermostat set at 10 deg C.

Waiting is not an issue as I have plenty to occupy my time. When I retired
almost eight years ago I had a number of things which I intended to do and
haven't done a fraction of them. I thought being retired I would have
loads of time but it doesn't seem to work that way grin

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2015-02-04 09:12:56 +0000, Stuart said:

In article ,
wrote:
You dont need to semi cut your "log" at all , brush both ends with
molten wax , no fancy end seal is needed.. and store in a cool to cold
but not freezing well aired place for 1 year per inch diameter.. so
yours is 200mm/8 inches... wait 8 years and it will be perfectly
seasoned... I know it sounds harsh to deny you working your wood but
turning is a life not a now and then... the more wood you season the
more wood will be yours in the future..

Thanks for the info.

It is currently residing in my shed, which is well insulated and has a
300W heater on a thermostat set at 10 deg C.

Waiting is not an issue as I have plenty to occupy my time. When I retired
almost eight years ago I had a number of things which I intended to do and
haven't done a fraction of them. I thought being retired I would have
loads of time but it doesn't seem to work that way grin

It is safer (as in lower failure rate) to split the log and take the pith out

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2015-02-04 09:12:56 +0000, Stuart said:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Ditto what Ralph said.

When I have larger pieces, I'll typically cut them in half and cut the
length to approximately twice the diameter, plus a couple inches (50 -
75 mm) to allow for minor checking. I seal the ends. They'll last much
longer that way.

For smaller pieces such as you have, I'll seal the ends and leave them
until I can get to them. There's usually some checking on the end to
cut off but on a 2 or 3 meter log that's no biggie.

The best thing to do is to halve the log, then rough out the bowls as
soon as possible leaving the walls overly thick; about 10% of the
diameter is the usual recommendation. I seal the end grain on them, put
them in a paper bag, then set them aside for 3 - 6 months. After that,
they will have warped but will be a equilibrium with their environment.
At that point you can finish turn them. No need to wait for years.

If you cut away 80% of the wood during rough turning, you've turned away
80% of the water as well! Plus, the end grain is only a dozen or so mm
thick so the water can leave the wood much more rapidly.

HTH...

....Kevin