Powercarver vs Turbocarver

Old March 30th 04, 01:45 AM
Jim T.

Default Powercarver vs Turbocarver

Has anyone got some experience with one or both of these tools? I'd like to
do some pierced work, but the Dremel just isn't doing what I want.

Jim

Old March 30th 04, 07:43 PM
Nick Silva

Powercarver is a very good tool. If you're planning on doing 100's of hours
of carving, this is the way to go. If not - then go with the best priced
tool. To me, the Turbocarver is a bit too 'toyish', but then I'm spoiled
because I use a metal one like the powercarver. Peace.

Old March 31st 04, 02:40 AM
G. McCoy

www.medidenta.com - this is an American company and is where the handpiece I
use came from. Go to "Search the Cyber Catalog" Catagory Electric
Motors and you will find the Denti-Lab.

www.thehandpiececlinic.ca - this is a Canadian company that I have dealt

Old March 31st 04, 07:47 AM
Owen Lowe

In article iq3ac.30510$Ct5.15305@edtnps89,
"Jim T." woodturner@ATcadrenetDOTcom wrote:

Has anyone got some experience with one or both of these tools? I'd like to
do some pierced work, but the Dremel just isn't doing what I want.

Hi Jim. Wood Magazine ran a comparison/review article back in Feb. '98,
page 52 on the Paragraphics Paragrave, Foredom 350K, SCM 400XS and
Ultra-Speed Turbo Carver. Highest marks went to the SCM unit, followed
by the Paragrave, Foredom and then the Turbo Carver.

If you can't obtain a copy of the mag, I'd be glad to scan the article
and send it privately.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Old April 1st 04, 08:30 PM
Jim Gott

I have both the Powercrafter and the Foredom. They each have their strengths
and weaknesses. The PowerCrafter is a high RPM-low torque tool (air powered)
which excels in things like piercing because the high speed (400,000 RPM) makes
it less prone to grabbing and moving about in the cut, and you can use it like
a pencil. On the downside you have to proceed more slowly sometimes in thicker
materials as it will bog down due to the low torque. I love it for piercing.
You really need that high speed for piercing.
The Foredom is a lower speed - high torque tool which is more suitable for
hogging out material. It is an electric cable-operated tool that excels in
larger wood removal projects and is great for detail sanding due to its
variable speed pedal.
Neither tool will do it all, so choose the one that does what kind of work
you'll be doing. If you're going to mostly do piercing, the PowerCrafter is
excellent.
-Jim Gott-
San Jose, CA
Old April 2nd 04, 06:26 AM
Leo Van Der Loo

Yes these tools run fast but not that fast, the Foredom run from 5000 to
20 000rpm for the flex cable units, the $945.00 Micro motor at a max of
45 000rpm and is used with diamond or carbide disk or tips

Old April 2nd 04, 07:29 AM
Ken Moon

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Yes these tools run fast but not that fast, the Foredom run from 5000 to
20 000rpm for the flex cable units, the $945.00 Micro motor at a max of
45 000rpm and is used with diamond or carbide disk or tips

======================
Leo,
The units he's talking are essentially modified dental drills, operated by
an air turbine. The RPM is determined by air pressure, but spees up 400,000
RPM are obtainable and usable with them. Of course, the bits are usually in
the 1/8 " range. much larger, aned they could begin vibration and self
destruct. (Think Dremel at 30,000 RPM with the bit extended almost all the
way out. Then take that up X10).

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Old April 2nd 04, 09:08 AM
Leo Van Der Loo

Yes Ken you're right the dental drills do run those speeds but they sure
are no wood hoggers, I was commenting on the Foredom units and did not
think of a dental instrument.
Never to old to learn I hopeG

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Old April 5th 04, 05:08 AM
Ralph J. Ramirez

In answering your question, Powercarver vs Turbocarver, the main difference
is that the Turbocarver is made primarily of plastic while the Powercarver
is stainless steel. I own the Powercarver and it is outstanding for
piercing and fine carvings. I can't say whether one is better than the
other but I opted for the stainless steel as it appeared more durable and
comes with a lifetime guarantee on the handpiece, one year on the turbine.
Hope this helps...good luck.....Ralph