Arch

Default Musing about making silk purses out of hog's ears (long & a tadsilly)

I love to cook and I enjoy turning simple functional bowls. Perhaps
including an instructional manual for the care and feeding of our salad
bowls might upgrade their image a few steps above Target's imports.
Nothing original here, of course.

Some suggestions for an info/instruction sheet. Please post your ideas
and some you've learned from others. Additions or subtractions to mine
are encouraged.

1. The bowl interior is deliberately left with a slightly rough
unvarnished oil finish that is food safe and hypo-allergenic. The open
slightly abrasive surface allows for more efficient crushing of pepper,
spices, garlic, anchovy and other ingredients Flavors can meld and
invade the wood's pores remaining as subtle reminders of your flair for
good cooking.
2. As with your prized iron pots and skillets your handmade wooden salad
bowl must be properly seasoned before using. This will allow your bowl
to do its job properly, enhancing appearance, flavor and aroma of your
salad creations. To season: With a clean cloth or kitchen paper rub in a
tsp. of olive or salad oil and a tsp. of salt until scoured clean. Put
away for several hours to absorb the oil, then repeat. Then after about
an hour rub in another tsp. of oil without salt until dry. Voila! Your
bowl is properly seasoned and ready for building salad masterpieces.
3. Your custom wooden salad bowl is special and deserves special care.
To develop a lovely patina and your own subtle bouquet never put it in a
dish washer or use detergents (not even LDD, Leif). Clean your bowl as
chefs in the great restaurants clean their saute pans; by scrubbing
with salt and rinsing with water. Perfume-free soapy water is allowed if
you must, but please re-oil.
4. To maintain a happy long term relationship, renew your vows by
re-seasoning your bowl from time to time.
5. Your bowl was made from appropriate woodstock by a skilled craftsman,
and you should enjoy using it. If for any reason you are not satisfied
please call.... or email..... If you are pleased I'd enjoy knowing that.
Without some serious editing, these ideas are probably outrageous; two
pounds in a one pound bag and too much sugar for a dime. An incorrect
musing on a very serious socio-political-economic problem of the day:
making Cinderella's foot fit an ornate slipper so we can all leave the
party. Yall's take? Arch

Fortiter,

Silvan

Arch wrote:

spices, garlic, anchovy and other ingredients Flavors can meld and
invade the wood's pores remaining as subtle reminders of your flair for
good cooking.

Translation: don't put anything stinky in this bowl if you ever want to eat
peach cobbler out of it.

bowl is properly seasoned and ready for building salad masterpieces.

Salad masterpieces? Isn't that laying it on a bit thick, Arch? (Then
again, I don't eat salad. After I pick all the unpleasant stuff out I'm
left with carrots and cucumbers, so I eat carrots and cucumbers and leave
the salad for all the people with less refined palates.

3. Your custom wooden salad bowl is special and deserves special care.
To develop a lovely patina and your own subtle bouquet never put it in a
dish washer or use detergents (not even LDD, Leif). Clean your bowl as
chefs in the great restaurants clean their saute pans; by scrubbing
with salt and rinsing with water. Perfume-free soapy water is allowed if
you must, but please re-oil.

You might be more clear on the point that running through a dishwasher will
surely destroy the thing sooner or later, and probably sooner. Saying "to
develop a lovely patina...." sort of makes it sound optional.

Hey, not that I know anything, mind you. I'm only up to bowl #7 so far, and
they all suck.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Russ Fairfield

Default Musing about making silk purses out of hog's ears (long & a tad

Arch,
As a connoisseur of the wooden salad bowl, it looks fine to me.

Beware of using soap in a wooden bowl, either in the turning or in the using.
Soap suds don't look good with a salad.
Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/
Leif Thorvaldson

E tu, Russ! And it wasn't even the Ides! I have furnished salad bowls sets
to my nieces. They were green ash and I used LDD in the turning of them.
Not one of my nieces has been noticed frothing at the mouth with soap
bubbles. I have been to a number of their dinner parties and had salad from
the bowls. I could not distinguish any soap suds emerging through the
salad, nor the taste of soap in the salad.

Leif

"Russ Fairfield" wrote in message
Arch,
As a connoisseur of the wooden salad bowl, it looks fine to me.

Beware of using soap in a wooden bowl, either in the turning or in the

using.
Soap suds don't look good with a salad.
Russ Fairfield
Post Falls, Idaho
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/

George

I, on the other hand, can taste it when SWMBO, in a fit of hygiene, washes
my beloved coffee cup (or carafe) out with extremely dilute LDD.

No, she is not a coffee drinker.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
.. I could not distinguish any soap suds emerging through the
salad, nor the taste of soap in the salad.

Leif Thorvaldson

Hi, George! Perhaps she does as my sister does when washing dishes.?.
Washes the dish in the detergent water and then doesn't rinse it. She then
lets it air dry or wipes it dry. I have tasted it on her glasses and coffee
cups! She won't admit to it and refuses to rinse the dishes. Almost as
obstinate as some folks about LDD! *G*

Leif
"George" wrote in message
I, on the other hand, can taste it when SWMBO, in a fit of hygiene, washes
my beloved coffee cup (or carafe) out with extremely dilute LDD.

No, she is not a coffee drinker.

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
. I could not distinguish any soap suds emerging through the
salad, nor the taste of soap in the salad.

Arch

Russ, Should we mollify Leif with sincere lefthanded praise? Regardless
of subject 87.3% of all rcw threads end up by haggling over the pros &
cons of LDD.

Silvan, You can't "lay it on too thick" when describing a well turned
wooden bowl rubbed with garlic and spices full of crisp torn greens and
fine cheeses tossed in olive oil that's never been with a man.
Anchovies, Greek olives, sliced onions and croutons, optional. Yes, It
is true that Martha Stewart's troubles began when
she put peach cobbler in a garlic salad bowl.

George When my XYL just has to soak my coffee cup in 'that LDD stuff' ,
I retire it for tea drinkers.

I'm off to Merrie olde England for a fun fortnite. I can hear your
sighs of relief already. Arch

Fortiter,

Leif Thorvaldson

Damn, Arch! That salad sounds outrageously great! As to "left-handed"
compliments; I prefer right-handed! Would that mean only 12.7% would
"deteriorate" over the pros and cons of LDD?*G*

Leif
"Arch" wrote in message
Russ, Should we mollify Leif with sincere lefthanded praise? Regardless
of subject 87.3% of all rcw threads end up by haggling over the pros &
cons of LDD.

Silvan, You can't "lay it on too thick" when describing a well turned
wooden bowl rubbed with garlic and spices full of crisp torn greens and
fine cheeses tossed in olive oil that's never been with a man.
Anchovies, Greek olives, sliced onions and croutons, optional. Yes, It
is true that Martha Stewart's troubles began when
she put peach cobbler in a garlic salad bowl.

George When my XYL just has to soak my coffee cup in 'that LDD stuff' ,
I retire it for tea drinkers.

I'm off to Merrie olde England for a fun fortnite. I can hear your
sighs of relief already. Arch

Fortiter,

Mike Vore

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 07:56:10 -0500 (EST), Arch wrote:

George When my XYL just has to soak my coffee cup in 'that LDD stuff' ,
I retire it for tea drinkers.

Arch,
That "dont wash out the coffee pot" is a bunch of s*****
(Shavings). In one of my past lives I ran a "Coffee Club" at my
office. I heard that same thing over and over whenever I tried to
clean the pot. But if I'd sneak back into work after everyone had
gone home and clean the pot with Dip-It then scrub it out good I heard
nothing but praise the next day on how great the coffee was, many were
"see! don't ever clean the pot." I just smiled and agreed.

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items
Kevin

Heh. This reminded me of an event back in '77. I was working the graveyard
shift out in shipping and one of my jobs was to make the coffe for the day
shift. As usual, I took the pot (one of those 30 cup percolators) up to
Maintenance to fill. Well there I am standing water hose at about waist
level filling the pot. My boss walks in and sees me from the side. Looks
like I'm takin' a wizz in the pot. He's screaming and hollerin all the way
across the shop until he sees what's goin' on. He kinda apologized while all
the guys in Maintenance were laughing their butts off.