Sanaka

Default Lathe shopping: Opinions on Record CL-3?

Hi.

I'm a long time, former pro woodworker and it's about time I got
myself a Lathe. The CL-3 is looking like a great balance of features
at about the right size for my needs, looks like good quality, and the
price is better than other apparently comparable machines. I'm in
Hawaii though and can't get my actual hands on anything to evaluate.
What do folks here think of the CL-3? Would it be OK for the
occasional largish, say 18", bowl? How does it compare to the Nova
3000, for example? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka
Fred Holder

Hello Sanaka,

I had a Record CL-3 for a number of years and liked it very much. An 18" bowl is
a bit large for the CL-3, I never trusted that 3/4" spindle nose for heavy
loads. An 18 platter would be fine. There is hardly a comparison when you step
from the CL-3 to the Nova 3000, which I did about 5 or 6 years ago. Everything
was more solid and hefty. The tool rest banjo on the CL-3 was such a pain that I
replaced it with one from the Sorby lathe. I had a CL-3-48, so you have to add
one or more bed extensions to have the between centers capacity on the Nova 3000
that I had on my CL-3. I never regretted the upgrade.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Sanaka says...

Hi.

I'm a long time, former pro woodworker and it's about time I got
myself a Lathe. The CL-3 is looking like a great balance of features
at about the right size for my needs, looks like good quality, and the
price is better than other apparently comparable machines. I'm in
Hawaii though and can't get my actual hands on anything to evaluate.
What do folks here think of the CL-3? Would it be OK for the
occasional largish, say 18", bowl? How does it compare to the Nova
3000, for example? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Peter Charles Fagg

Sanaka, I only have praise for the CL3.

I use it daily in my business and have turned successfully items up to
the maximum of 30 inches, mind you it does get a bit scary! It has
coped very well with out of balance pieces including those where I
have left the shop in a hurry for fear of the thing taking off!
Please buy one with the bowl turning extension you will regret it
later if you don't.

It would be nice if it were fitted with variable speed as standard but
it can be updated with a kit OR purchase the CL4 which is the CL3 with
the kit fitted ex-works.

Go for it you will not be disappointed,

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!
F Donald Hart

Hi Sanaka,
I don't know what a CL-3 is, but there are a couple of clubs in Hawaii,
and I'll bet there are some members there who would be glad to show you what
they are turning on.
Don Hart

"Sanaka" wrote in message
om...
Hi.

I'm a long time, former pro woodworker and it's about time I got
myself a Lathe. The CL-3 is looking like a great balance of features
at about the right size for my needs, looks like good quality, and the
price is better than other apparently comparable machines. I'm in
Hawaii though and can't get my actual hands on anything to evaluate.
What do folks here think of the CL-3? Would it be OK for the
occasional largish, say 18", bowl? How does it compare to the Nova
3000, for example? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Sanaka

Thanks Fred and Peter

I suspected the Nova might be couple notches or so up in quality, but
the price jump is out of my class right now. For ~$2k I can have the
CL3, scroll chuck with a few jaws, stand, tools, and outboard bowl
stuff. Large bowls and such would be very occasional for me.

Peter, at this webpage:

http://www.recordpower-usa.com/Accessories1.htm

there's a photo showing the CWA180 'tubular bowl rest' which is
sitting on a sort of 90 degree extended arm. Is this setup the bowl
turning extension you mention? I.e. I should get the 90 deg. arm and
the tubular bowl rest?

Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

(Peter Charles Fagg) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Fred Holder

Hello Sanaka,

I did not mean to imply that the Nova was a much higher grade machine than the
Record CL-3. What is so impressively different is the 1/2" larger diameter
spindle and the availability of No. 2 Morse Taper. I noticed a significant
increase in the stability of my mounting. I also think the Nova bearings are
better than those use on the CL-3. They are both pretty good lathes and the
Record may suit your needs just fine.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Sanaka says...

[...]

Peter Charles Fagg

Peter, at this webpage:

http://www.recordpower-usa.com/Accessories1.htm

there's a photo showing the CWA180 'tubular bowl rest' which is
sitting on a sort of 90 degree extended arm. Is this setup the bowl
turning extension you mention? I.e. I should get the 90 deg. arm and
the tubular bowl rest?

Thanks!

Peace,

Sanaka, Yes that is exactly the piece I referred to, personally though
I rarely use the tubular toolrest, I prefer to use a second 10" cast
toolrest for most operations. This is because with large uneven
pieces the steel tube post was flexing and giving me frights, the
solid cast rest proves more than adequate, even though it needs to be
moved more often.

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!
Bjarte Runderheim

Default SV: Lathe shopping: Opinions on Record CL-3?

Sanaka skrev i
meldingsnyheter:193a3455.0312070417.7b13a7f9@posti ng.google.com...

' What do folks here think of the CL-3? Would it be OK for the
occasional largish, say 18", bowl? How does it compare to the Nova
3000, for example? Thanks!

I use a CL3-36 since 2001.
I do not like the round steel rods. They vibrate and bend too easily.
I do not like the thin spindle or the #3 morse taper. The bearings make
variable noise.
I do not like the tool-rest banjo. It _is_ a pain.
And 3 speeds is too little for my needs.

I am upgrading as soon as I can afford a longbed Vicmark.

Bjarte

Sanaka

Thanks all.

I am strongly leaning towards the Nova 3000 now. I've seen on the net
just as many folks not quite satisfied as ones all happy with the
CL3/4. Mostly the problems cited here - spindle a bit undersized and
the bearings not always doing their job. In fact, I learned that
Richard Raffan himself lurks hereabouts, as he was gracious enough to
email me with his very strong recommendation to go with the Nova over
the CL3. Upon some more, really careful, price comparisons I find I
can go with a Nova 3000 setup for the same as the CL3, except with no
outboard arm. That can wait 'til I learn more, however, especially
since the Nova has 16" swing - plenty big for now.

Now I'll inquire, on a separate thread, about the pros/cons of which
stand to go with a Nova :-)

Peace,
Sanaka

"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message news:Dh4Cb.28161
I do not like the round steel rods. They vibrate and bend too easily.
I do not like the thin spindle or the #3 morse taper. The bearings make
variable noise.
I do not like the tool-rest banjo. It _is_ a pain.

Peter Charles Fagg

Bjarte, I have just read you reply to the question on the Record CL3.

Why has your CL3 only got 3 speeds, I have 5, plus the #3 Morse Taper,
mine has #1 Morse Taper!

I agree with you on the banjo but there is a kit available to change
it to an over centre locking mechanism, I haven't tried it myself but
it sounds like a good idea.

Hope all is well with you, og God Jul!

Hilsen Peter