Arch

Default Books to modernize my turnings?

Books for beginning turners have been well discussed here, but there
hasn't been much opinion and advice re books for we 'a little
fa(u?)rther alongers' who want to enter the 21st century. (or at least
the last half of the 20th) I hear footsteps from Walmart's cheap
imported salad bowls so I need to move onward & upward. It's gift
_receiving_ time and I'm considering four fairly current books to help
me compete with the far East:

Hosaluk's "Scratching the Surface"
Darlow's: "Woodturning Design"
Robert's: "Masterful Woodturning"
O'Donnells': "Decorating Wood"

Perhaps these authors consider different aspects, but I'm not likely to
be gifted with all four. Maybe my old Raffin classic on bowl design is
sufficient, but somehow buying it didn't make me an artist. I just know
one of the above will. Your unbiased reviews? Opinions? Advice? Other
book suggestions? Incredulous laughter? Arch

Fortiter,

Al Hockenbery

Arch,
I find many inspirations and artistic ideas in non woodturning
books.
For forms I've found the best in books on southwest pottery that are full
of wonderful ideas.
For patterns and textures look at books on decorating gourds or fractal
patterns.

The Odonnel's book has a lot of ideas for surface treatment
and Hossaluk's book has a lot of great examples of fine wood art.

happy turning,
Al

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Joe Fleming

Arch,

Hosaluk's book is very good. So is a companion book in the series by
Wallace, Leier and Peters, "Contemporary Turned Wood: New Perspectives in a
Rich Tradition".

O'Donnell's book is excellent.

Darlow's book is not good at all (it reads like a very dry "history of
architecture" book, and, unless you turn columns, offers very little useful
design information for a bowl and vessel turner.

I haven't read Robert's book.

I'm reading a book by Stephen Hogbin called "Appearance and Reality".
Somewhat academic, but has some interesting concepts.

Joe Fleming - San Diego
===================
"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

George

Why not let the wood do it. Though I've seen a lot of decorated pieces, I
haven't yet seen one which fascinates me as much as a nice feather or burl.
Good spalting is almost a kaleidoscope of variety, not to mention it
involves a softer road to beauty.

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

John Coulombe

Hello Arch:

I'm only familiar with Michael Hosaluk's book. I was lucky to purchase
an autographed copy from him when he visited us in October.

It is a beautiful book and a wonderful addition to one's woodworking
library but is not limited to woodturning. . Its subtitle is Art and
Content in Contemporary Wood.

As stated on the inside flyleaf:
"Scatching the Surface.............displays exceptional examples of
surface design and narrative content in the studio wood movement. The
sixth title in GUILD Publishing's craft showcase series, it features
works by almost 100 acclaimed artists in vibrant, fullcolor
photographs. It is a book of unusual beauty and rare delight."

Hope this helps

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 10:04:59 -0500 (EST), (Arch) wrote:

[...]

Ken Moon

Arch,
I have the Gary Roberts book and reccomend it highly. Gary is a memberof the
Austin club, Central Texas Woodturners Assc., so I have been able to see a
lot of his work over the past few years. It is a step above what you'll
usually see at most local shows, and will hold it's own at national
symposiums. The book has projects starting at the "intermediate" level and
works up. It gives dimensions on the pieces shown, as well as the cuts
required to produce a similar product. I can't compare it to the other
books, as I haven't seen them yet. I know Darlow's earlier book on the
basics is pretty good. Hosaluk is a different type of turner from most I
know. His work is what I'd call freestyle. It is interesting, but some of it
is out toward the edge! So if you're wanting to go toward the "artsy " side,
you probably need his opinion.
Good luck, Happy holidays.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Worcester

While all of those books are an excellent addition to the Christmas list and
the library, I think it is you as an individual that will help you compete
better with the "Far East". People with a personal connection to your work
will spend more money and will buy it. The Far East product, while
completely utilitarian, is not purchased by the same crowd that buys bowls
from an artist who exhibits at a gallery or a fine arts show. The Far East
products don't have the same classic shape as what you would do, nor the
variety or wood and shape that you are able to achieve.
All of those books, as well as any on Indian pottery (or any pottery)
Southwestern Pottery, Anasazi to Zuni is a good choice too) are great
templates. Once you can copy a masters work, then you can venture out on
your own. All the books with give you theory and design principles, show you
how to achieve author specified aesthetics, but cannot teach you to turn,
nor more your hands and tools on the lathe. They will all show you what you
may want to see, what is a classic line, shape ideas, but it is you who will
put those shapes into your own work, with it's own personality.

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Earl

I did wood turning years ago and have only recently returned to it.
The reason I returned is finding a copy of O'Donnell's book in a store
and thinking "Wow! I would really love turning wood again if I could
combine it with some of my other hobbies like painting and carving and
create exciting new objects." (I guess I really didn't think in such
stilted terms but I was entranced be the book.) So I certainly
recommend their book. I think their concepts are exciting and can be a
jumping off point for all sorts of creative woodturning that is not
what you ordinarily see.

Wanting still more alternative ideas, I will be checking out your
other book ideas to see if I should add them to my wish list. Thanks.

Earl
Dan Bollinger

Aesthetics, like turning, has its own terminology. In art, "Modern" is a style
and a period. It is not 'what's going on today' as many people use it.
Technically, the Modern period is over. There are still a few Modern artists out
there producing, but very few. The current artistic period, in broad terms, is
called Post-Modern. However, this probably isn't what you are looking for. I
think you are looking for ideas on Contemporary turning. That is, the
state-of-the-art or 'what's going on today.' Hope this makes sense and helps,
Dan

[...]

Arch

Default Books to _contemporize_ my turnings?

Thanks to each of you for your good suggestions.

I admit to and abjectly apologize for my grammatical error... misuse of
the pronoun after the preposition. Phew!
OTOH, (a truly _modern_ acronym) my unabridged dictonary and I hope that
"_to_ modernize" is acceptable in thy sight.
Arch

Fortiter,

Tony Manella

Arch,
If you are looking to do heavily carved pieces, this is the book for you.
While I liked the pieces in the book I couldn't see myself doing that much
carving to a piece. I ended up selling the book on ebay. This book has its
target audience, I'm just not in it.

Two books I really like are Coloring Wood by Jan Sanders and Decorative
Techniques for Woodturners by Hillary Bowen. While they are a little dated
they contain lots of good ideas that haven't yet been taken to fruition by
woodturners.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

k.net...

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Clay Foster

Arch,

A book I recommend is "Designed For Delight: Alternative Aspects Of
Twentieth-Century Decorative Arts." It's a book published in
conjunction with a touring exhibition produced by the Montreal Museum
Of Decorative Arts. I saw the exhibition when it was at the Cincinnati
art museum a few years ago. It doesn't have a single turned object in
it, but it will give you more ideas than all other woodturning books
combined. It's available from Amazon.

Clay Foster
www.home.earthlink.net/~claypen/

(Arch) wrote in message ...
[...]

Richard Stapley

Arch I review a wide cross section of books on my Web Site many of which
give Inspiration rather than Method.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

RVS

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Arch

Richard, I've just spent a pleasant lunch hour revisiting your book
reviews section. Thanks for the reminder. Anyone who hasn't visited your
entire site will find much good reading and solid information.
I agree that collections of magazine articles repeated as a book, and
the endlessly repetitive pictures of the seemingly same turning are both
somewhat annoying.

One year on the 4th of July, Lorraine and I gave a tongue in cheek
'Loser's Party' for our Anglophile friends. After reading your review,
I'm thinking about hosting a similar gala for the losers, including me,
who mistakenly bought Weldon's "Shapes for Woodturners". Maybe we could
bring our copies for the bonfire next Guy Fawke's day. Arch

Fortiter,

Earl

Richard, as a newbie to wood turning, I really appreciated your site.
I hadn't seen it before and it has alot of good information. The book
reviews were great and have given me some to add to my wish list.

Thanks,
Earl