Ali T. Borahan

Default Spindle-turning Long, Thin Wood: Update...

Well, I've finally finished building the spindle/bowl-steady, and I have to
say, it works just beautifully!!! Once again, thanks to all of you who
provided me with such excellent advice!!!

Pictures of the new tool may be viewed using the links below:
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady0.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady1.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady2.jpg

Total Cost: About $25 versus $250 for the commercially made type. ;o)
Total Time invested: About 5 hours (including time-to-think/plan, not
including glue-drying time...).

Again, thanks all!

Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

PS: Next project is to finish building my outboard (free-standing platform
type) tool-rest. What can I say, I'm a do-it-yourselfer!!! )

RikC

Ali,

Looks real good!!!

rik

--

Padded room with a view
RWC3
"Ali T. Borahan" wrote in message
Well, I've finally finished building the spindle/bowl-steady, and I have

say, it works just beautifully!!! Once again, thanks to all of you who
provided me with such excellent advice!!!

Pictures of the new tool may be viewed using the links below:
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady0.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady1.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady2.jpg

Total Cost: About $25 versus $250 for the commercially made type. ;o)
Total Time invested: About 5 hours (including time-to-think/plan, not
including glue-drying time...).

Again, thanks all!

Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

PS: Next project is to finish building my outboard (free-standing platform
type) tool-rest. What can I say, I'm a do-it-yourselfer!!! )

If you go over to Jean Michel's website, he has an example of what I am
referring to:

http://www.jeanmichel.org/steady.htm

Jean has a great site there, too. Lots of neat info and jigs to build.
Nice guy - also!

Best Regards - and keep those chips and ribbons flying,

Joe
" wrote in message
Nice Steady, Ali.

One possible, minor suggestion for improvement, might be to add guide

strips
to the sides of the steady arms.
This would guide the arm to the center, and keep the setup more rigid.
Should be a fairly easy modification to make, as well.

Just a thought..........

[...]

Tim

Why does the steady need to be so large? If turning something over
three or four inches in diameter, will it not be steady enough on its on?

Ali T. Borahan

Hi Tim,

I made mine that large for three reasons: I figured that larger would mean
sturdier. I also expect that it will dampen/absorb more of the vibration.
Finally, I wanted something that was large enough to hold longer/larger
pieces so I could turn some really large, deep vases. Hence the size. I
would have made it even bigger if I could! )

--
-

"Tim" wrote in message

Why does the steady need to be so large? If turning something over
three or four inches in diameter, will it not be steady enough on its on?

Ali T. Borahan

Thanks for the kudos, all! It's always a pleasure to get compliments for a
job well done from other woodworking/turning experts! )

I'm hoping to have the outboard tool-rest completed some time this week.
Depends on whether or not I receive the steel plate on which I'm waiting
(1/4" X 3' X 3'). I'm going to use the steel plate as the outboard platform
to which I'll attach the tool post, either by welding or by bolting onto the
steel. Again, I'll post pics and final cost when I'm done.

--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com
-

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...
In article sMbZa.32773$5f.18069@lakeread05, "Ali T. Borahan"

wrote:
Well, I've finally finished building the spindle/bowl-steady, and I have

say, it works just beautifully!!! Once again, thanks to all of you who
provided me with such excellent advice!!!

Pictures of the new tool may be viewed using the links below:
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady0.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady1.jpg
http://www.alisails.com/Bowl-Spindle_Steady2.jpg

That's a nice job, Ali. Thanks for posting the pics.

Total Cost: About $25 versus $250 for the commercially made type. ;o)
Total Time invested: About 5 hours (including time-to-think/plan, not
including glue-drying time...).

That makes it even better, doesn't it? You saved a good chunk of money,

and
have the satisfaction of using a tool you made yourself.

Again, thanks all!

Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

PS: Next project is to finish building my outboard (free-standing

platform
type) tool-rest. What can I say, I'm a do-it-yourselfer!!! )

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of that, too. Thanks for

posting.

--
Regards,

Ali,

I have always been an advocate of "the more sturdier, the better" - and I
purposely over-design things. You may never need that sort of rigidity.
However, if the piece begins to "whip", it may just push the rollers out of
alignment without the additional supports.

Your steady is a very nice design. Just offering some possible minor
improvement ideas.

Joe
"Ali T. Borahan" wrote in message
I figure that it really doesn't need to have guides. After all, the radius
of a wheel is the radius of a wheel. As long as the arm is locked in place
and doesn't slip, the wheel should remain in place also, hence the radius
will be continually contacting the spindle, wouldn't you agree? Does it
really matter if the contact point is the tangent line that's exactly
perpendicular to the center of the arm? Correct me if I'm wrong on this
people... Thanks!

--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

-

news

" wrote in message
[...]

Leo Lichtman

Ali T. Borahan wrote: (clip) Does it really matter if the contact point is
the tangent line that's exactly perpendicular to the center of the arm?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It matters not at all! The design I described in an earlier post takes this
to an extreme. Instead of slots, I mount the arm through a drilled hole,
with a clamping bolt. I get the distance from the centerline by swinging
the arms away from center--the action the guides would prevent. I have
built two steadies this way, both used on large lathes, and they work just
fine.

Long before the work has a chance to start whipping, you would notice a
little looseness at the wheels, and correct it. If the bolts are tight, and
the work is round, that is sufficient.

Tim

Ali T. Borahan wrote:
Hi Tim,

I made mine that large for three reasons: I figured that larger would mean
sturdier. I also expect that it will dampen/absorb more of the vibration.
Finally, I wanted something that was large enough to hold longer/larger
pieces so I could turn some really large, deep vases. Hence the size. I
would have made it even bigger if I could! )

Understood. Thanks!

tim

Leo Lichtman

JOECOMUNALE wrote: (clip). like what if that piece starts to wobble?
Then - you had better have some sturdy reinforcements (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I see the mental image that's worrying you, but don't think it's gonna
happen. First, I would never rely on a steadyrest to stabilize an
unbalanced piece. If the piece is in balance, and the CG is on axis, there
are no forces to start the vibration. Without a steadyrest, a rotating
piece can get very slightly off center, generating centrifugal force, which
draws it farther off center, increasing the centrifugal force, and things
run away. If the steadyrest is doing its job, doesn't ever start to get off
center. And, if a tiny does occur, the wheels prevent the displacement
which leads to the runaway reaction.

I have had the wheels run very slightly loose, due to my own carelessness,
but have never had even a hint of a disaster.

Ali T. Borahan

Hi Jim.

I know it'll be heavy. My calculations actually bring it to about 75 lb
(I'll be using mild steel, which isn't so dense). Of course, this all
depends on whether or not I can find a free source. I think I've found the
source, now I'm just waiting for the actual donation. Alternatively, I do
have a 1/2" X 1' X 1' piece of aluminum available, but I hate to waste that.
I'd also rather the platform were heavier than lighter. I'll be standing on
the thing (and I weigh around 200 lb, all muscle... YEAH RIGHT!!! I wish
;o) so stability should be no problem. My main concern is the post (made

of 2 1/2" plumbers pipe) be rigid. For that, I think I'll need some side
struts or something. Anyway, when I'm done with the whole design, I'll let
ya'll know how it worked out...
--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts
Web URL: http://www.alisails.com

PS: A last resort/solution would be to use engine flywheels. They weight
about 40 lbs and I can get any number of them that I need (I work at Volvo
Penta during the day to build a tower of sorts. Put the post/pipe in the
flywheel hole (center), and voila, I've got a nice, stable--and easily
movable, platform.
-