Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Russ Fairfield

For those of you who knew, or knew of, Russ Fairfield, I'm sad to report
that he died last week at the age of 75. He will be missed.

For those of you who didn't know him, Russ was a nationally known turner
with articles in AAW and elsewhere. He was also one of the nicest people
you'd ever want to know. He was a member of our Inland Northwest Turners
club and an instructor at the local Woodcraft. He was always willing to
spend time showing a beginner (like me) how to do things.

A couple of turners from the club made an urn for his cremains and
several members donated a teaspoon of shavings from their shop to keep
Russ's ashes company.

I'll miss you Russ, as will a lot of folks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

For those with net access who want to benefit from Russ's willingness to
share what he'd learned here's a link to Russ's Corner on WoodCentral

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russindex.shtml

When you realize that You Can't Take It With You it makes sense to
Pass It On - which is what this man did. And by doing so - he set an
example - the effect of which outlasts the man. Russ ain't here
- physically - anymore. Russ-ness on the other hand will be around
for quite a while - if we Pass It On - when we can.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry, Charlie, et al,

Thanks very muh for posts re Russ' passing. I am so sorry to hear the
sad news. I knew Russ well when he lived in Tallahassee and later he
was quite active on this ng.

Perhaps one of you or both could send the condolences for RCW to the
family for all of us?

Do you have further details? I haven't kept up with Russ in some time.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think it was last summer that Russ posted to WoodCentral's turning
forum that
he had a possible brain tumor. Later he posted that he did have a brain
tumor.
In late October or early November he had surgery. He came through the
surgery
and went to a rehabilitation facility to begin physical therapy. He had
lost most
of his memory for turning but some was coming back as he read through
the
articles he'd written that are on Russ's Corner on WoodCentral.

Between Christmas and New Years he apparently took a turn for the worst
and Ellis, who does WoodCentral posted that he didn't have much time
left.
Three or four days ago Ellis posted that Russ had "passed".
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:04:25 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

For those of you who knew, or knew of, Russ Fairfield, I'm sad to report
that he died last week at the age of 75. He will be missed.

For those of you who didn't know him, Russ was a nationally known turner
with articles in AAW and elsewhere. He was also one of the nicest people
you'd ever want to know. He was a member of our Inland Northwest Turners
club and an instructor at the local Woodcraft. He was always willing to
spend time showing a beginner (like me) how to do things.

A couple of turners from the club made an urn for his cremains and
several members donated a teaspoon of shavings from their shop to keep
Russ's ashes company.

I'll miss you Russ, as will a lot of folks.

Sorry to hear that.. Russ and his web sire were an inspiration and
education for my turning.. RIP