Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sand paper vs. steel wool

After I finish turning a bowl, I usually sand up to about 320 grit. After a
few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish, I let them dry and the sand with 400
grit paper prior to the next coat. A year or so ago I bought some Liburon
0000 steel wool which is a very high quality product. However, I often
wonder how this steel wool would compare to one of the finer grits of
sandpaper. Does anyone have information on the relative merits? Which is
the finer abrasive? The Liburon 0000 steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 00:40:51 +0000, Bob Daun wrote:

After I finish turning a bowl, I usually sand up to about 320 grit.
After a few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish, I let them dry and the
sand with 400 grit paper prior to the next coat. A year or so ago I
bought some Liburon 0000 steel wool which is a very high quality
product. However, I often wonder how this steel wool would compare to
one of the finer grits of sandpaper. Does anyone have information on
the relative merits? Which is the finer abrasive? The Liburon 0000
steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper.

I usually sand to 1000 grit and then burnish with shavings. Try that and
you won't need the steel wool.

I do use the Liberon 0000 for rubbing out a finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I do utility bowls for most of my turnings. I sand to 400, then buff
in Mahoney's walnut oil with the synthetic grey, which I think is
equal to the 000 wool, abrasive pads. I stopped using the steel wool a
long time ago. Mostly due to the fibers left behind. They do show up,
and on light colored wood, if any moisture is present, rust spots will
show. You can see 320 grit scratch patterns with the naked eye, and
barely see the 400 grit scratches. With the grey pads, you can't see
anything. It is fine for getting a matt finish on rubbed on oil
finishes.

robo hippy

sand paper George UK diy 2 July 14th 07 12:38 PM
$$$ sand paper Lee Woodworking 1 January 29th 07 06:43 AM
Steel wool Frank Erskine UK diy 23 January 25th 06 07:24 PM
steel wool # = sandpaper grit? Dan Major Woodworking 4 August 7th 05 05:25 PM
PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 04:48 PM