Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Oliver 159a

I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Actually that is a standard thread size for the larger lathes, and you
should have no problem finding face plates and chucks with inserts
that size. If you already have the face plates, they may be able to be
bored out, or sold/traded for bigger threads. A spindle adapter will
go over the existing one, with the new smaller threads sticking out in
front, putting whatever you are mounting on your lathe sticking out
another 1 1/2 to 2 inches. It will work, but not the best option.

robo hippy

On Oct 30, 5:52*am, ZORRO9 wrote:
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you have a decent Chuck, you can change the insert for another one,
here's a list of the normal inserts available for the Oneway made
chucks.
as for faceplates they are readily available in your thread size also.

http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum27.html

ZORRO9 wrote:
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have an Oliver too, with the same size thread. It came with a couple of
faceplates, but nothing else.

I've considered rethreading, but it's a pretty serious change. I do already
have several chucks and other things to fit 1x8 thread, from a Rockwell I
used to have. I've looked for adapters, but haven't found anything.

I've looked into an adapter that would fit into the headstock taper and be
held in with a drawbolt, like a collet in a milling machine. Finding a
Morse taper arbor with a one inch blank end would be handy. I have a 1x8
threading die already.

I bought a couple of 1.125x 8 thread nuts from MSC a while ago for using in
making some kind of adapter. But they fit the spindle threads rather
loosely. I had also considered buying a 1.125x 8 thread tap and attempting
to re-thread my 1x8 accessories or make adapters. But since the nuts fit so
loosely, I've been hesitant to spend the money for the special tap. (Low
income, newly retired, no luxuries in the budget.)

Two of the major (expensive!) brands of chucks are available in Oliver
thread, but they're too expensive for me. It would cost almost as much as I
paid for the lathe (20 years ago)! And I already have a decent grizzly
one - but in 1x8 thread.

Sorry, no solution or definite answer for you, but hopefully an idea that
would help.

Doug

"ZORRO9" wrote in message
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I make faceplates for your lathe, see www.wbnoble.com and click on
"faceplates" - I would NOT rethread that is a really really bad idea - you
can't do it with a die, it won't be accurate - you can single point it on a
metal lathe but even then you will give up rigidity. I can make you an
adapter to 1-8 or to 1.25-8 easily enough. If you really really really
really (....) hate the 1 1/8 spindle, make a new one with 1.25-8 threads.
But, I think unless you have a very high "annoyance" factor with it, just
leave it alone. For the price of redoing the spindle, you can get a
lifetime supply of faceplates.

as for a chuck - if you are using one of those cheap chinese chucks, just
find a friend with a metal lathe and single point it out from 1-8 to 1
1/8-8 - I can do that for you, but so can anyone else with a metal lathe

"ZORRO9" wrote in message
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I s'pose now that I'm retired, I don't have much excuse for not learning to
turn inside threads on the metal lathe I've had for about 30 years already.

But I'd still be interested in a cost quote for an adapter to use 1x8
thread chucks on my 1-1/8x8 thread Oliver.

Doug