Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Experiment

This was a recent experiment. Made from a 1x6 old Cedar fence board, some
small pieces of 1/4 inch plywood and some scrap pieces of mahogany. The
trick was hollowing the piece out without having it fling itself from the
lathe at 1200 rpm. The bottom was made separately and glued in place after
the piece was finished.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN0645.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Great idea !!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Turning so the layers are on the diagonal was a great idea.
And including the tight knots was as well. Three ply ply -
a good idea - if there are no obvious voids in it.

An included knot, or even where an obvious knot WAS are
things you can get away with. It's those small, but obvious
flaws that are hard to get away with

Nice experiment - a Proof Of Concept piece. Now try one
with good baltic birch ply and work on your spindle turning
to refine those parts and you've got a piece that may
cause OOOOHs and AAAHHHHHs.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Charlie! Part of this experiment was teaching myself to create a
blank with diagonal lines. Learning the proper turning sequence to get the
piece hollow was an adventure in itself. The piece has more than a few "bad
spots", but since it was all for learning purposes, I've forgiven myself!
I was so happy to get the thing off the lathe in one piece, when I got
to the base and finial, I just wanted it to be finished! lol

Bob Crawford

"charlieb" wrote in message
Turning so the layers are on the diagonal was a great idea.
And including the tight knots was as well. Three ply ply -
a good idea - if there are no obvious voids in it.

An included knot, or even where an obvious knot WAS are
things you can get away with. It's those small, but obvious
flaws that are hard to get away with

Nice experiment - a Proof Of Concept piece. Now try one
with good baltic birch ply and work on your spindle turning
to refine those parts and you've got a piece that may
cause OOOOHs and AAAHHHHHs.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob:

If the finial and foot are Add Ons, you can do quick
and dirty versions first - and go back later and
turn more refined ones.

The diagonal lines idea is slick. Have you thought
about intersecting diagonal lines to do diamond
patterns?

It's interesting that by just changing one assumption
of how segmented or laminated pieces "should look"
the results can be so noticably different - and nice.

Look foreward to where you take this. Please post
The Next One - or a link to it.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob Crawford wrote:
This was a recent experiment. Made from a 1x6 old Cedar fence board, some
small pieces of 1/4 inch plywood and some scrap pieces of mahogany. The
trick was hollowing the piece out without having it fling itself from the
lathe at 1200 rpm. The bottom was made separately and glued in place after
the piece was finished.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=DSCN0645.jpg

Nice turning. Perhaps a little larger base would make it look more
balanced.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I xeroxed a mirror, now I have an
extra copier.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Charlie!

Yes, I've "revisited" more than one project since I started turning. As my
skill and "vision" get better, I start to see many things I've done in a
different light.

Hmmm, the diamond pattern is definitely one I'll have to explore. I've got
some pics (somewhere) of the process I used to create the diagonal blank.
I'll have to see if I can post a link to them.

More to come for sure Charlie.

Thanks for your input.

Bob Crawford

"charlieb" wrote in message
Bob:

If the finial and foot are Add Ons, you can do quick
and dirty versions first - and go back later and
turn more refined ones.

The diagonal lines idea is slick. Have you thought
about intersecting diagonal lines to do diamond
patterns?

It's interesting that by just changing one assumption
of how segmented or laminated pieces "should look"
the results can be so noticably different - and nice.

Look foreward to where you take this. Please post
The Next One - or a link to it.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Gerald. I kind of like the smaller bases. Perching atop that small
base seems, to me, to give the main body more importance. I've done larger
bases on some things, particularly when they're squat and large in diameter.

Bob Crawford