Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

Old February 10th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim

Old February 10th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim

It helps if you provide some specs, since few of us run around with
delta catalog numbers in our heads. That's a 12x38, after going and
looking it up.

In general, it's probably US cast iron rather than Asian, There's
probably more of it since its older (though perhaps not very old, as the
one I can find on-line is a 1983) and is likely a decent lathe - and if
it's not, it can be with some new bearings, belts etc.

You've only got 12" over bed, or you have to go outboard. How much
that's an issue depends on how much you want to make big bowls (and how
carefully your blanks are trimmed). May also require engineering a lower
low speed for outboard, depending what it's set up with for a drive.

Old February 11th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"James" wrote:

[...]

The one I'm looking at has the gap bed which gives it 16" over the gap
and 12" over the bed, 38" between centers, variable speed 340-3200rpm.
It's been setting unused since 1980. Jim

Old February 11th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"James" wrote:

The one I'm looking at has the gap bed which gives it 16" over the gap
and 12" over the bed, 38" between centers, variable speed 340-3200rpm.
It's been setting unused since 1980. Jim

Find any grease fittings it has and grease them.

Replace the belt, it's toast - 28 years in one position is not good for
belts.

Turn and enjoy. The gap bed is a nice feature.

Old February 14th 09, 04:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

--

Well I use a 46-460 of 1960s vintage and it serves me well. I have EVS
on it so I can get the lower speeds and outboard access allows me to