DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/270854-delta-rockwell-46-450-lathe.html)

James[_14_] February 10th 09 11:45 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim

Ecnerwal[_2_] February 11th 09 12:08 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

In article ,
"James" wrote:

Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim

It helps if you provide some specs, since few of us run around with
delta catalog numbers in our heads. That's a 12x38, after going and
looking it up.

In general, it's probably US cast iron rather than Asian, There's
probably more of it since its older (though perhaps not very old, as the
one I can find on-line is a 1983) and is likely a decent lathe - and if
it's not, it can be with some new bearings, belts etc.

You've only got 12" over bed, or you have to go outboard. How much
that's an issue depends on how much you want to make big bowls (and how
carefully your blanks are trimmed). May also require engineering a lower
low speed for outboard, depending what it's set up with for a drive.

James[_14_] February 11th 09 05:21 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"James" wrote:

[...]

The one I'm looking at has the gap bed which gives it 16" over the gap
and 12" over the bed, 38" between centers, variable speed 340-3200rpm.
It's been setting unused since 1980. Jim

Ecnerwal[_2_] February 11th 09 06:15 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

In article ,
"James" wrote:

The one I'm looking at has the gap bed which gives it 16" over the gap
and 12" over the bed, 38" between centers, variable speed 340-3200rpm.
It's been setting unused since 1980. Jim

Find any grease fittings it has and grease them.

Replace the belt, it's toast - 28 years in one position is not good for
belts.

Turn and enjoy. The gap bed is a nice feature.

[email protected] February 14th 09 05:46 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On Feb 10, 5:45*pm, "James" wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim
--

Well I use a 46-460 of 1960s vintage and it serves me well. I have EVS
on it so I can get the lower speeds and outboard access allows me to

[email protected] December 22nd 15 10:14 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim
--

I have the same lathe in same state of not being used. Can't seem to get the shaft to turn. I don't have any instructions with it. does that small metal knob lock the shaft? its on top over the shaft on left hand side of shaft.
Kevin

Kevin Miller[_2_] December 22nd 15 10:29 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On 12/22/2015 12:14 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to
a new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty
good. Thanks, Jim --

I have the same lathe in same state of not being used. Can't seem to
get the shaft to turn. I don't have any instructions with it. does
that small metal knob lock the shaft? its on top over the shaft on
left hand side of shaft. Kevin

Six year old post. Darn those archives! :-)

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Puckdropper[_2_] December 22nd 15 10:43 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

wrote in
:

On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim
--

I have the same lathe in same state of not being used. Can't seem to
get the shaft to turn. I don't have any instructions with it. does
that small metal knob lock the shaft? its on top over the shaft on
left hand side of shaft. Kevin

I found a parts diagram, maybe you can figure it out from there.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta...le-speed-wood-
lathe.html

Is the shaft stuck or does it wobble back and forth a bit?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

graham[_5_] December 23rd 15 02:56 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On 22/12/2015 2:29 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 12/22/2015 12:14 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to
a new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty
good. Thanks, Jim --

I have the same lathe in same state of not being used. Can't seem to
get the shaft to turn. I don't have any instructions with it. does
that small metal knob lock the shaft? its on top over the shaft on
left hand side of shaft. Kevin

Six year old post. Darn those archives! :-)

It often happens when a "newbie" (no insult intended) comes across this
group and downloads 1000+ posts stretching waaaay back.
Always treat them politely!
Graham

Lars Graversen December 23rd 15 10:04 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

Hi.
I found this manual :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?pref=2&pli=1

Hope it is any help for you.
Lars
Denmark

[email protected] December 24th 15 02:11 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 4:43:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
wrote in
:

On Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 5:45:08 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi Group, What's your opinion of this lathe? How does it compare to a
new one? I'm looking at bowl turning and the price is pretty good.
Thanks, Jim
--

I have the same lathe in same state of not being used. Can't seem to
get the shaft to turn. I don't have any instructions with it. does
that small metal knob lock the shaft? its on top over the shaft on
left hand side of shaft. Kevin

I found a parts diagram, maybe you can figure it out from there.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta...le-speed-wood-
lathe.html

Is the shaft stuck or does it wobble back and forth a bit?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Can't get the shaft to move at all. The parts diagram helps.Thanks

Puckdropper[_2_] December 24th 15 03:04 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

wrote in
:

Can't get the shaft to move at all. The parts diagram helps.Thanks

Hm... probably not a lock then. Could be something's stuck, disconnect the
motor and see if the shaft on both motor and lathe move easily.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

[email protected] December 24th 15 06:59 PM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

On Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 9:04:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
wrote in
:

Can't get the shaft to move at all. The parts diagram helps.Thanks

Hm... probably not a lock then. Could be something's stuck, disconnect the
motor and see if the shaft on both motor and lathe move easily.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I got it unlocked and it works fine. PB blaster loosened things up and from the schematic I noticed how the lock mechanism works. The knob on top doesn't go up and down but slides back and forth just a little. Works fine. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

Martin Eastburn December 26th 15 04:54 AM

Delta/Rockwell 46-450 Lathe

is the spindle pin engaged ? My lathe has 360 holes in the pulley.
A pin that keeps the spindle locked can be placed into any hole and
allow indexing around the spindle for special spindle or bowl work.

One normally has to rotate slightly and pull and rotate to lock it 'out'.

Sometimes you have to open a door to gain access. Usually next to the
spindle near where a chuck is turned on or a faceplate.....

Martin