Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1642 lathe

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jet 1642 120v lathe?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I just bought one last month and love it.

The variable speed is especially handy and very quiet. The readout is
on all the time. You can turn the spindle by hand anytime and it will
readout the rpm. It smoothly changes speeds. I've been using mine on
the high speed range so far and it idles down to 135 rpm. When I have
the dust collection system running (which is pretty quiet) I can't tell
from sound or feel if it is running without looking at the work piece or
the rpm readout.

The tail stock is fitted very tightly to the bed. It took me quite a
while get the bed extension perfectly matched so the tail stock could
slide over the joint between main bed and the extension bed. It will match.

It has plenty of power. I have not stalled it but have spun the center
in the wood several times.

The motor is actually 3 phase 230v 1720 rpm drawing 4.6 amps with some
method I don't understand of running from 120v. If I try and stop the
spindle with the hand wheel while running at high speed range and at
slowest variable speed of 132 rpm I can feel the pulsing power.

Fred

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jet 1642 120v lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You should really be turning on the low speed range unless you need to
turn faster than that allows. This gives you two advantages...

You get more torque at the lower speeds and maybe a lower lower speed.

It allows the motor to turn faster for the same spindle speed. This
improves the motor's ability to keep itself cool.

Bill

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jet 1642 120v lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have the PM, and as far as speed ranges, I would recomend that for
turning bigger bowls, say in the 12 inch range, and up, use the lower
speed range. You need the torque, and with a big piece of wood on, when
I turn it off, it is too much for the electronic brake, and it trips
the reset button. For spindles and smaller things, then I use the high
speed range. I also use the slow speed range for sanding bowls as it
will go slower than the high speed range.
robo hippy
Test Tickle wrote:
I actually just ordered on of these myself, about a week ago. It
should be coming in pretty sson. I hemmed and hawed for a while
between the 1642 and the 1442, and the $200 rebate on the 1642 made up
my mind. It's a little bigger and heavier, obviously, and has the
electronic variable speed as opposed to the Reeves drive on the 1442.
I just figured i'd never have the cash for a big Oneway, and this
should be the last lathe I'd ever need. It is far and away the most
I've ever spent for a tool, though.

tt

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:26:46 -0500, LBledsoe wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jet 1642 120v lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello,

I'm a professional bowl turner and I have demonstrated on a Jet 1642 120v,
as well as the 220v on occasion for a few years at The Woodworking Shows. I
found it to be a very competent lathe with good power and ease of use. The
electronic speed control is nice as well and it performed flawlessly.

The 120v has good power, but the 220v is of course better. However, for most
turners, the 120v is probably adequate. I demonstrated bowl turning on these
lathes and on occasion, pen turning. I was using my famous Texas Irish
Grind, which has side wings more than 1.5" long. The 120v lathe could be
stopped with a huge cut, the 220v kept right on going.

Either is a fine lathe and I would recommend both without reservation... I
would add about 500lbs of sand to a shelf on the lower leg area though. You
can never have enough weight in a lathe. If you have any questions, or if I
can help you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me. Good luck and
best wishes on getting your new "baby."

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the info on which speed to use.

Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 05:47 PM
help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 06:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 07:30 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 06:58 AM
Kelton Balancer Review Draft--long Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 0 October 29th 03 04:44 AM