Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default The Turning Green Paradox

Turning, by its very nature, is a dynamic process. From fresh cut
tree to roughed shape can be a matter of an hour or two. But then you
wait - for weeks or several months, before you can do the "finish"
turning
- and finishing. On the other hand, if you want to go rough to finished
piece
in one turning session - you have to start with dry wood - which took
months
or maybe a year or more to dry, and more than a bit of care to keep it
from
cracking, checking or splitting - too badly.

Green wood is often readily available - and free. Dry wood is a bit
harder
to find - and seldom free. In either case, whether you pay in time or
money,
your going to pay, even though the actual turning is quick - and almost
free
(unless of course you have one of the Gonzo Humongous lathes that dim
the lights in the neighborhood when you turn it on).

Turning sure is an odd branch of woodworking.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
charlieb wrote:

On the other hand, if you want to go rough to finished piece
in one turning session - you have to start with dry wood

Not really. If you can accept some non-roundness, finish turning green
is an interesting twig off this odd branch, and cheap/easy enough that
you should give it a try. You turn with the intention that it will go
oval, or even potato-chip (or hat...)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
Turning, by its very nature, is a dynamic process. From fresh cut
tree to roughed shape can be a matter of an hour or two. But then you
wait - for weeks or several months, before you can do the "finish"
turning
- and finishing. On the other hand, if you want to go rough to finished
piece
in one turning session - you have to start with dry wood - which took
months
or maybe a year or more to dry, and more than a bit of care to keep it
from
cracking, checking or splitting - too badly.

One of the advantages of CRS is that the piece you roughed and set aside
back when is almost a new thing when you grab it to do some turning of an
evening. I leave my stuff thicker - maybe an inch - than it needs to be to
regain circularity at desired thickness because I have a number of roughs of
this and that stashed in various places around the house I can pick, restyle
and even re-finish. When impatient I cut them a little thinner, sacrificing
restyling room so they're dry in a month, but it takes some really special
need. Mostly I rough when the wood's fresh and re-turn when I need a piece
or stock for a show.

I get the fun of creating in my mind, if not in reality, when I turn green,
and the instant gratification (OK, an hour or two maybe) of mounting a dry
blank and getting the first coat on in one sitting. Works for me, and it's
way ahead of buying dried squares or drying squares with the risks involved
there. Of course I do occasionally run across weird shapes that prompt me
to ask "what was I thinking?" Some have been reshelved a dozen times
pending return of original inspiration. No sense spoiling a good idea with
the requirements of the present.

Betting every one of us who's a flat worker also has some obviously pre-cut
pieces for a project we can't remember stacked out of the way for space and
cleanliness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote in message
. net...

"charlieb" wrote in message

Betting every one of us who's a flat worker also has some obviously
pre-cut pieces for a project we can't remember stacked out of the way for
space and cleanliness.

Nope! Cleanliness had nothing to do with it :-) One of these days I have to
shovel out the shop. Actually, one of these days I have to get IN the shop.
I think I have a free night the second week of July, unless someone finds
out about it first.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:31:15 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.net...

"charlieb" wrote in message

Betting every one of us who's a flat worker also has some obviously
pre-cut pieces for a project we can't remember stacked out of the way for
space and cleanliness.

Nope! Cleanliness had nothing to do with it :-) One of these days I have to
shovel out the shop. Actually, one of these days I have to get IN the shop.
I think I have a free night the second week of July, unless someone finds
out about it first.

umm.... I think you just told them about that free night, Darrell... *g*

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another issue of course is the use of fancy wood (read exotic, read
pricy).
This always comes in dry format but can probably not be avoided.
Hmmm, maybe we can start a new business of importing chunks of green
cocobolo.
max

Ralph E Lindberg :
In article ,
Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
charlieb wrote:

On the other hand, if you want to go rough to finished piece
in one turning session - you have to start with dry wood

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
"George" wrote in message
. net...
"charlieb" wrote in message

Betting every one of us who's a flat worker also has some obviously
pre-cut pieces for a project we can't remember stacked out of the way for
space and cleanliness.

Nope! Cleanliness had nothing to do with it :-) One of these days I have to
shovel out the shop. Actually, one of these days I have to get IN the shop.
I think I have a free night the second week of July, unless someone finds
out about it first.

Darrell,
Unless you want to spend that night fixing / buying something, do not
let the machinery know that shop time is in short supply.

DAMHIKT

Bill

grin

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000750-1, 06/18/2007
Tested on: 6/18/2007 4:34:54 PM