Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Shaving Brush Brushes

It might be good fun to turn some handles for shaving brushes. Cocobolo and
similar oily wood should look good! I've found one source for the 'brush',
Blankity-Blanks its called. Anyone know of any other sources?
--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Storey wrote:
It might be good fun to turn some handles for shaving brushes. Cocobolo and
similar oily wood should look good! I've found one source for the 'brush',
Blankity-Blanks its called. Anyone know of any other sources?

Tom, I refer you to the thread entitled "Badger Shaving Brush Knots".

The originator of that thread (Pete of "Pete & Kathy"), ultimately said
he'd found a second supplier in China ... and then fell off the face of
the earth, ignoring two requests for the name of the supplier.

So, for the moment, blankity-blanks it is.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-1, 01/31/2007
Tested on: 1/31/2007 8:11:46 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yer just supposted to stick the hair against yer face Bill -heh heh heh!
However, as one who is allergic to just about everything, including very
much, cocobolo and cedar and goodness knows what else, I know what you mean!

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
It might be good fun to turn some handles for shaving brushes. Cocobolo
and similar oily wood should look good! I've found one source for the
'brush', Blankity-Blanks its called. Anyone know of any other sources?
--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

ya know, after sporting (so to speak) a beard for a few decades, I can say
that the only thing I miss about shaving is the part with the tub of shaving
soap, and the badger hair brush - but I don't miss it enough to resume the
ritual, I just keep the tub and brush (that were my father's) in the cabinet
for nostalgia's sake.
that said, an alergic reaction can be unpleasant and expensive - after
making a bowl using sheoak, it took me several months and a bunch of
hundereds of $$ of doctor and medicine bills to get kinda back to normal -
so for shaving brush handles, stick to the well understood woods - eschew
those related to poison oak or rosewood, and the super aromatics

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
> [...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete has posted a link to his webstore, which includes the brush "knots".
You can see it at http://members.boardhost.com/razorandbrush2/
Also, please send us pictures and descriptions of your brushes to have them
included in our custom brush showcase (www.razorandbrush.com). Just send the
..jpg files and word description to my email.
Thanks,
Giovanni

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
Tom Storey wrote:
It might be good fun to turn some handles for shaving brushes. Cocobolo
and similar oily wood should look good! I've found one source for the
'brush', Blankity-Blanks its called. Anyone know of any other sources?

Tom, I refer you to the thread entitled "Badger Shaving Brush Knots".

The originator of that thread (Pete of "Pete & Kathy"), ultimately said
he'd found a second supplier in China ... and then fell off the face of
the earth, ignoring two requests for the name of the supplier.

So, for the moment, blankity-blanks it is.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-1, 01/31/2007
Tested on: 1/31/2007 8:11:46 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Storey wrote:
It might be good fun to turn some handles for shaving brushes. Cocobolo
and similar oily wood should look good! I've found one source for the
'brush', Blankity-Blanks its called. Anyone know of any other sources?

Tom, I refer you to the thread entitled "Badger Shaving Brush Knots".

The originator of that thread (Pete of "Pete & Kathy"), ultimately said
he'd found a second supplier in China ... and then fell off the face of
the earth, ignoring two requests for the name of the supplier.

So, for the moment, blankity-blanks it is.

Bill
rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-1, 01/31/2007
Tested on: 1/31/2007 8:11:46 PM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-2, 02/01/2007
Tested on: 2/1/2007 1:01:57 PM

Sorry, Giovanni. I 'knew' I had seen something else somewhere else ...
but I couldn't find it. Yer right, of course.

Apparently a bunch of the folks who posted to your web site are whiners
straggling in from other boards. I wish you every success. And I wish
them a perpetual runny nose.

"Non illegitamati carborundum"

Lousy Latin ... but you'll figure it out anyways.
Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000709-2, 02/01/2007
Tested on: 2/1/2007 1:06:00 PM