Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
MG MG is offline

Default Gorilla Glue Thinner

I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

From the smell looks like Alcohol could work.

Thanks
Mauro

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gorilla Glue (and all polyurethane glues) has a short shelf life once
it has been opened. I don't think it can be thinned back to a useable
consistancy, but it wouldn't hurt to try (on scrap of course). It
will still work, but it is slower to set and may not have the
strengthn it has when fresh.

Denny

On Jan 27, 7:49 am, "MG" wrote:
I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

From the smell looks like Alcohol could work.

Thanks
Mauro

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Have you contacted the Gorilla company and asked them? Check Google out to
see if they have a site.

ps.com...

On Jan 27, 7:49 am, "MG" wrote:
I have a half bottle of Gorilla glue that has thickened a bit, does not
seems to have set.
Is there a solvent/thinner that can be used.

From the smell looks like Alcohol could work.

Thanks
Mauro

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have not had good luck storing Gorilla Glue once opened. They say to
squeeze all the air out of the bottle before sealing. I read somewhere to
then seal the bottle in an air tight container. I am trying a zip top
baggie, squeezing the air out of this also.

Walt Conner

Gorilla Glue (and all polyurethane glues) has a short shelf life once
it has been opened.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"WConner" wrote: (clip) I read somewhere to then seal the bottle in an air
tight container. I am trying a zip top baggie, squeezing the air out of
this also. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is a household device called a "FoodSaver." which I use for things
like this. It is intended mainly for vacuum packing food, but I have also
used it for photographic developer, and I am sure it would work for Gorilla
Glue. You have a choice of using heat-sealed plastic bags, mason jars,
proprietary canisters which come with the unit, and wine bottles. My
avocados last until they're used up.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mineral spirits or acetone will work.Do a google search and go to the
woodgazette website.They are doing an ongoing test of thinning gorilla
glue and strength of the glue. It appears that either solvent will
work fine,one fellow puts a 1/4' of acetone over the remaining glue in
the bottle before he puts it away.This appears to keep the glue fresh
and not harden in the bottle.I"ll have to try it myself.
mike

Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane? blueman Home Repair 7 January 23rd 20 03:44 PM
Elmers Ultimate Glue or Gorilla Glue - TIA Happiness is Woodworking 8 October 11th 06 07:19 PM
Gorilla glue Gene Woodworking 7 April 4th 06 12:28 PM
How to use gorilla glue toller Woodworking 7 December 16th 04 03:56 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 02:48 AM