Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Default Burning Question

Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woodborg wrote:
Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what
would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.
Mark

Metal disk (coin?) held in vise grips (lever locking pliers)?

(just a guess)

Bill

rascal less in the world.
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000713-4, 02/14/2007
Tested on: 2/14/2007 6:43:12 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Woodborg" wrote: (clip) what would i use to burn the inside of a curve
surface such as a bowl.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I haven't done this, except in my head, but this seems like it ought to
work:

Drill a hole about 1/2" diameter in a piece of sheet metal. Then remove
metal from outside the hole until a sort of teardrop shape: narrow on one
side, and broad on the other. Hold the broad side in a pair of Vise-grips
(or make a handle) and press the thin edge against the wood inside the bowl.
It should be almost as thin as a wire at the narrowest part, which contacts
the wood, and stiff enough to let you press on it. Preferably, use
stainless, which has a low thermal conductivity. Next choice, ordinary
steel. Do not use aluminum or copper.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This may be too easy. No fabrication needed.

How about holding the shank of a 12d or 16d common bright nail in a
pair of pliers with the nail head inside the bowl or box doing the
burning?

Seems like that smooth head would cause some nice friction.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:06:29 +0000, Woodborg
wrote:

Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what
would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.

I've done it with a bit of wood. Just take something that is really
hard, like maple or mesquite and chisel, grind, or whatever at it
until you have a thin tip. Use that to burn the inside- it will burn
your "tool" as well, but something like that is easy to replace.

I've also done it by accident with loaded sandpaper. If you fold it
up an old piece of fine sandpaper until you've got a sturdy corner on
it, it can work.

I'd go with either of these before sticking a metal contraption into
the bowl- granted, that's how you made the bowl in the first place,
but a bowl gouge and a penny in a pair of vise grips are not the same
animal.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Woodborg" wrote in message

Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what
would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.
Mark

Edge of a Formica sample. Smells a bit, but works.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Got to be careful here! As on the outside of a turning, make a groove to
mark the area to be burned. Now the tricky part. Whatever you use to 'heat
up and make the mark' must not cut through that which is being burned!!
Remember, it is not the wood that is supposed to get hot but rather the
medium and then the medium burns the wood.

As smart as I am, I cannot think of a damn thing you could bring to bear as
a 'friction burner' implement in this situation, howerver, I'm sure someone
here will!

You might consider a well controlled pyro tool of some sort to burn the area
in question.

FWIW Tom

"George" wrote in message

"Woodborg" wrote in message

Hi all

If you use a thin wire to burn the outside of a bowl or spindle, what
would i use to burn the inside of a curve surface such as a bowl.
Mark

Edge of a Formica sample. Smells a bit, but works.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
news1bBh.1013759$R63.538250@pd7urf1no...

As smart as I am, I cannot think of a damn thing you could bring to bear
as a 'friction burner' implement in this situation, howerver, I'm sure
someone here will!

Fortunately the Formica seems to flow below the ignition temperature of the
wood. Give 'er a shot, you'll be surprised.

Edge of a Formica sample. Smells a bit, but works.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Prometheus wrote:

I've done it with a bit of wood. Just take something that is really
hard, like maple or mesquite and chisel, grind, or whatever at it
until you have a thin tip. Use that to burn the inside- it will burn
your "tool" as well, but something like that is easy to replace.

I'd go with either of these before sticking a metal contraption into
the bowl- granted, that's how you made the bowl in the first place,
but a bowl gouge and a penny in a pair of vise grips are not the same
animal.

This is exactly right, except I would want a wide slice of hardwood so
as to generate enough heat without risking tear from a thin "tip".

Cut a thin slice of hardwood on your bandsaw, at least 2" wide.
Try to form the end (yes, end - across the fibers)to the same curve as
the inside of the bowl and start with a light pressure, then harder
and harder as the groove deepens and smoke develops.

If the bowl is not _exactly_ round, don't do it.
Outside burning with a wire is forgiving as to uneven curve,
inside burning with a hard medium is not.

BjarteR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've never burned the inside of even a slightly closed bowl, but for the
inside of a open bowl or on a platter's rim I start the burn in a tiny
groove and use a sharp sliver of ebony or some other exotic hardwood
applied as perpendicular as possible. Probably this adds color as much
as it burns the groove. This doesn't work well if I have previously used
wax or oil to tame the fibers during turning or sanding.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter