Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Atlas 101.27430 Craftsman Lathe info

Hello Mike,

Before I purchased my first woodturning lathe, I used a small Craftsman
metal turning lathe to turn wood. I simply made up a tool rest from a
piece of angle iron of the right height and bolted it to the tool rest
base of the lathe. It worked.

I know several woodturners who have used a metal lathe for their
woodturnings. Metal lathes are just not as handy as a lathe designed
for turning wood. When turning wood, you will not need the feed
mechanism.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

wrote:
Was give an Atlas Model 101 27430 lathe that I'm attempting to restore
- using a lot of WD40. It all seems to be there except the feed
mechanism has been disabled by the removal of a gear (that I have).

Looking for any info how this is all supposed to be assembled and set
up correctly. There are a couple of gears that appear to make no
sense at all.

This is a 12 inch x 24 inch between centers lathe.
Wondering how good this may be for wood turning?

Mike