Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turned "Boxes" Gifts

(picture in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking)

Have a reunion coming up and thought the two classmates who
have done all the work to make it happen should each get a gift.
SO - with some 50 year old pine porch supports a neighbor took
down during his addition, decided to try my hand at making some
turned "boxes". Had turned a bunch of pegs and pulls just to
keep in practice so I found some dense dark wood - have no idea
what it is - and turned some small finials to put on the "boxes".
Some Mahoney's walnut oil and wax took care of the finish.

The little "finials" as well as the "boxes" were done with just a
skew (OK so I forstnered a started hole for the hollowing). A
skew with a curved cutting edge sure is a flexible tool.

For scale, the grid on the tablet below is 1/4".

Should've cleanedl the dust off these things before photoing them
but you'll get the idea.

These things aren't difficult to do - one you get the sequence
of which things get turned in what order. Also helps to cut
the "tenons/spigots" small enough to fit in the chuck jaws you
have. DAMHIKT.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Charlie,
You turned/hollowed a box with only a skew??
I gotta see those pictures.

They look nice. Just wonder what the insides look like after a skew .
TomNie