Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default dust collection attachment

Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'll post a picture of mine for you in abpw as soon as I can did it up.
Very simple but effective.

"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Cleary wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

See http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/fullsize/dustchute.jpg

I used some PVC plumbing stuff and an old metal lamp shade that was just
the right size to fit on the 4" pvc T. Sorry the photo is so fuzzy...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

Dryer vent. Sticks to the ways with magnets.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...to&PhotoID=227

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Tom is offline

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

Dryer vent. Sticks to the ways with magnets.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaOwners/geo...to&PhotoID=227

Do any of you have an opinion about the one that PennState has for sale?
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Cleary wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of what system they use to attach the dust
collection hose to their lathe?

No picture! But someomne asked about the Penn State "BIG GULP".

My personal opinion is that it's a waste of money. I have been using
mine for 6-8 months now. It arrived with a big chip broken out of the
corner. I didn't make a stink because it didn't affect the suction. The
way that the BIG GULP is designed it dissipates what suction value
there is. I was advised to modify the opening by closing the end
opening down with a baffle. I did this and it does have a slight
increase in the force but it still will not pull many chips in. What
size DC do you have? All I know is that my 1 HP Delta DC does not have
enought force to power it.

I got it with the articulating arm. I think it was around $60. That is
way overpriced for what it is. I think that you could easily make a
collection hood yourself by going to the local hardware store. there
is one photos posted on the net where a drier vent part was used. It
has a screen mesh to screen out really large chips. I replied
primarily because I would hate to see anyone spemd that much money on
something that just DOES NOT WORK!!

JimC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use the stand and hood from Woodcraft with a 2hp "Big Yellow Gorilla"
from Onieda. It provides all the suction I need when sanding, which is
the only time I use it with the lathe, although I am considering
putting in a floor sweep to get the last of the dust & chips on the
floor after I clean up.

Vernon

JimC wrote:
Kevin Cleary wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

--The first couple of photos on my page might give you an idea:
http://www.nmpproducts.com/exhaust.htm
--I've got a metal lathe with a different arrangement, but I
haven't posted a picture of it yet.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : What's not done by you
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is done *to* you..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LaymarCrafts web site has an Article on Dust Collection in the Hints and
Tips Page

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

RVS