Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Florida "Rosewood"

I just recieved some 8 inch X 36 inch logs from the Orlando Area. They
are called rosewood. The heart is about 5 inches and very dark. The
sapwood is creamy. For those familiar with this species; is this wood
prone to move much after green turned? Please list the do's and dont's.

Thanks,

Dave in SW Michigan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Day

My god. A place where rosewood is a trash tree.

-- Andy Barss, in southern AZ

Andy....do you ever see "Arizona Rosewood"...Vauquelinia
californicia..? There's a tree I'd love to have as trash. I just
turned one of my few peices yesterday. (I live in Maryland, and got it
from someone who thought they were getting Desert Ironwood, so traded
it to me)......I gather it's unusual to find it large enough to do
much with.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss

Bill Day wrote:

:
:My god. A place where rosewood is a trash tree.
:
:
: -- Andy Barss, in southern AZ
: Andy....do you ever see "Arizona Rosewood"...Vauquelinia
: californicia..? There's a tree I'd love to have as trash.

Never heard of it, but I just looked it up on the Web. I
think I've seen ti around. It's listed as an alternative
to oleander for landscaping. Oleander is really common here --
I and my neighbor have a half dozen 15-20' tree/shrubs of it.
It's deadly poisonous, so it'd be nice to have something else that
grows as well.

I just
: turned one of my few peices yesterday. (I live in Maryland, and got it
: from someone who thought they were getting Desert Ironwood, so traded
: it to me)......I gather it's unusual to find it large enough to do
: much with.

Probably not -- how big are your poieces? And what does it lok like?

-- Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Day

Probably not -- how big are your poieces? And what does it lok like?

-- Andy

It's ordinarily a small tree, but I have one 'chunk' that is maybe 8"
diameter...It is a VERY heavy, hard wood with mottled browns and some
almost gold areas, rather like Desert Ironwood. When polished, it
glows with swirls and figures....light, almost yellow sapwood that is
harder than most regular heartwoods. Unlike Desert Ironwood, it has
almost no odor, though it is dusty to turn. The pieces I have are full
of checks, worm holes and fissure, as they were dead salvage pieces,
but it just gives them character.

So far, I have not seen a turned piece other than my own. I'll see
if I can post a picture when I get back from a weekend trip.