Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Osterman

Default Nichols lathe for sale

Hi group, I'm moving to a much smaller place and just downsizing in
general, and am forced to sell my Nichols lathe. For those not familiar
with the brand, the lathe was manufactured by John Nichols of Stanfield,
Oregon. John stopped manufacturing the lathe in 2004, but you can see
his old website at

http://web.archive.org/web/200312130...cholslathe.com

The lathe is superbly built and in fine condition. It is capable of
turning very large pieces, having a distance of 25 inches over the gap,
and with the extended bed (which is included), can handle pieces in
excess of 5 feet long. I also have a Nichols-built steady rest and many
other accessories.

If you've considered a lathe like this in the past but were deterred by
the price, this is a great opportunity, as I will be letting the lathe
go at a good price.

I'll be posting more details shortly, but thought I would get the word
out. You would be doing a serious turner a favor by bringing this lathe
to his attention, so if you have any suggestions for other forums to
post this on, please let me know.

Larry Osterman
Seattle

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:44:11 -0700, Larry Osterman wrote:

Larry...
Please send me an email with a few details...

My kid lives in Spanaway and can check it out for me..

thanks!

[...]

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

wrote:

Larry...
Please send me an email with a few details...

My kid lives in Spanaway and can check it out for me..

thanks!

Don't do it Larry! He'll gloat and gloat, and make us all jealous.

Bad enough when he upgraded last time....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman

I bought Larry's Stubby 750 when he "upgraded" to the Nichols. I saw the
Nichols lathe in his shop, and I must say, it is very impressive. He had it
build to his specificiation, including a crane for lifting the heavy stone
burning blanks onto the lathe.

Our transaction went very smoothly, and he went BEYOND our agreement, to
make sure I was satisfied.

Larry, what are your plans?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Osterman

Leo Lichtman wrote:
I bought Larry's Stubby 750 when he "upgraded" to the Nichols. I saw the
Nichols lathe in his shop, and I must say, it is very impressive. He had it
build to his specificiation, including a crane for lifting the heavy stone
burning blanks onto the lathe.

Our transaction went very smoothly, and he went BEYOND our agreement, to
make sure I was satisfied.

Larry, what are your plans?

Leo, thanks for the plug. As with the Stubby, I'm most interested in
seeing the Nichols go to a good home. I'll miss it, seems like a part
of the family. As for my woodturning future--the wife and I have
wanderlust at the moment, we plan to spend a couple of years traveling
about the US and perhaps overseas, and so rather than store the lathe
and other shop items for that period, I've decided to part with them.
I'll keep a second smaller lathe.

-Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Osterman

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 05:44:11 -0700, Larry Osterman wrote:

Larry...
Please send me an email with a few details...

My kid lives in Spanaway and can check it out for me..

thanks!

Mac, I decided to respond here, as other folks may be interested. You
can see the lathe evenings or weekends. Please call:

work 206.576.1078
home 425.828.0531

I paid over $9000 in 2003 for the lathe and accessories (items 1 to 11
below). I think I bought one of everything that John Nichols had to
offer. My asking price is $6000, which is negotiable. However, if you
ante up the full asking price, I'll throw in a lot of extra stuff.
Here's the list:

1. The basic lathe body on casters/screw jacks, including headstock,
motor, controller, etc. It has a 50" swing over the gap; 30" over the
bed. Spindle is 1.5" RH. Taper is MT3 if I recall correctly; MT2 in
the tailstock.
2. Sliding bed with crank that extends through the lathe body.
3. The standard length bed that attaches to the sliding bed.
4. Extended length bed.
5. Support legs for the end of the extended length bed (also has
casters/screw jacks).
6. Heavy duty tailstock with ball-bearing fitting.
7. Two tool rest assemblies and several tool rests.
8. Small right-angle bed that attaches to the headstock or to the main bed.
9. Crane and winch for mounting heavy pieces.
10. Steady rest.
11. Wrenches, grease and gun, spare fuses, matching spray paint, and
other similar items.

In addition, if you pay the asking price I will include the following
(all fit the Nichols tapers/spindle thread):

A. Two Jamieson-style "captured" laser boring bars (one small, one very
large) and associated capture assembly (from John Jordan, very nice).
B. Vacuum system, including chuck, spindle insert, and vacuum pump.
C. Miscellaneous revolving centers.
D. Four or more faceplates (small to very large).
E. Dust collection system, including tubing, vacuum cleaner, and can/top.
F. One large Vicmarc chuck.
G. "Jumbo jaws" and second Vicmark chuck.
F. Other stuff I can't think of right now.

-Larry
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:50:27 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Larry...
Please send me an email with a few details...

My kid lives in Spanaway and can check it out for me..

thanks!

Don't do it Larry! He'll gloat and gloat, and make us all jealous.

Bad enough when he upgraded last time....

I probably can't afford it, but it sounds like it would be fun to play with if I
can get it into Baja...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:24:23 -0700, Larry Osterman wrote:

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Larry... As I feared, it's way out of my price range...
Especially since I can just visualize my kid setting it up in his garage "until
our next visit" and my never seeing the lathe in Calif. or Baja.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

I went to see one here in Eugene, when I was upgrading from a 4 speed
Atlas. My impression was that it was made the way I would make it if I
had metal skills. As a former concrete worker, I like things overbuilt
rather than under built. This is a machine that I don't think that even
I could wear out. I talked to John several times on the phone about
other things, and liked him as a person. I had to settle for the PM
3250, as it was more affordable. If you want a big lathe, this is a
super one.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Larry Osterman

Default Nichols lathe for sale *** SOLD ***

The lathe and all listed accessories have been sold.

Larry Osterman wrote:
[...]

Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 05:47 PM
Das Lathe Bench charlie b Woodturning 17 March 2nd 06 05:00 PM
help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 06:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 07:30 AM
Kelton Balancer Review Draft--long Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 0 October 29th 03 04:44 AM