Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Turning flutes

I was at a local turning club meeting and the lady sitting next to me said that
besides pens, she liked to turn flutes...
I just figured that she meant a variation of goblets or something, until she
added that they were "native American" style...

It seems that she and her husband make musical type flutes, starting with square
stock that they route down the middle in a 1/2 round and then glue together and
turn.. she said it was more accurate than drilling a hole that long on the
lathe, unless you were set up to make rifle barrels.. *g*

I find it SO interesting that we make so many different things, in so many
different ways, by spinning wood and touching tools to it..
Mac
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Davies

mac davis wrote:

It seems that she and her husband make musical type flutes, starting with square
stock that they route down the middle in a 1/2 round and then glue together and
turn.. she said it was more accurate than drilling a hole that long on the
lathe, unless you were set up to make rifle barrels.

If you dig around on the Net, you'll find a lot of material on making
woodwinds. A lot of it applies to Native American flutes, but there also
is material on Irish-style flutes, more modern flutes, and especially
recorders. Bore a hole through the middle; form the internal profile
with a home-made reamer accurate to the appropriate thousandth or so;
bore, ream, and otherwise shape the toneholes; and--for a recorder, at
least--turn the outside into graceful shape. A lot of the makers use
machinists lathes, rather than wood lathes, especially for the boring
and reaming.

For a start, take a look at Terry McGee's flute site,
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/ and Philippe Bolton's page on making
recorders,
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...abricatgb.html

Also, see groups.yahoo.com/group/flutemakers.

If only I had the time!

Owen Davies
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Mac

The only "fluit as we call them" I make, is a whistle with a moving
piston in it, to change the sound (noise), and I only make them when
the kids can play outside !!!! (They will drive you up the wall if you
let them use them inside)
Made some "paddle wheelers" for in the bathtub, lots of fun with them.
Yes there are a lot of different things we can make from some wood, a
lathe, tools, and some imagination.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo