Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Howdy, does anyone have a lighthouse pattern for a truning? The wife loves lighthouses and I'd like to try and turn one for her upcoming birthday.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:28:00 GMT, wrote:

Nice subject line...

All the lighthouses I've ever turned I've patterned after real
lighthouses. Just find a picture of one you like, on the net or in a
book and copy it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

I did a light house night light several years ago. I don't remember, which
lighthouse I used as a guide. Here is a link to the site showing pictures and a
brief description of how it was made:
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lighths.htm

Good Luck,

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Chuck says...

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:28:00 GMT, wrote:

Nice subject line...

All the lighthouses I've ever turned I've patterned after real
lighthouses. Just find a picture of one you like, on the net or in a
book and copy it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

wrote:

Don't have any plans/patters, but you can see mine at
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/lighthouse/

Stole Fred Holders idea of using a burl for the base...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Fred and Kevin:

Nice work! I have seen a lot of lighthouses, but never any that I
thought looked near that good. It puts a whole new perspective on that
kind of project. Neat stuff.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

wrote:
Hey Fred and Kevin:

Nice work! I have seen a lot of lighthouses, but never any that I
thought looked near that good. It puts a whole new perspective on that
kind of project. Neat stuff.

Thanks - already thinking about my next one. They're a fun project...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Kevin,

That's awesome work. The detail is impressive. There's been a lot of
discussion about "how long did it take...." but I just gotta ask, "How long
did it take"?

And how do you do such accurate segmenting? Almost looks like Malcolm
Tibbetts kind of work.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default Howdy, does anyone have a lighthouse pattern for a truning? The

To add to Kevin's notes on getting segments to fit, the technique that I adopted
was to glue up the ring trying to get slightly open places opposite if possible.
When the glue was set, I took it to the bandsaw and sawed through the two
opposite joints and reglued them. If there were other open joints, I repeated
this for them. I found it worked very well and cut out all of that trying to
sand things just right. A couple of very good segmented turners that I know have
adopted my technique and say it works very well for them too.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Kevin Miller says...

Tom Nie wrote:
Kevin,

That's awesome work. The detail is impressive. There's been a lot of
discussion about "how long did it take...." but I just gotta ask, "How long
did it take"?

Thanks. It took a year and a half! But there were weeks or even months
that I didn't do anything on it. I seem to have a problem doing one
project at a time. The entertainment center I promised my wife has been
patiently waiting for about 3 years now. It's probably about a third
done.

And how do you do such accurate segmenting? Almost looks like Malcolm
Tibbetts kind of work.

The late Ray Allen was asked that. His reply was "If it doesn't fit I
don't use it." I try to follow that philosophy but have to admit that
I'm not as anal about it as I should be. If you saw my joints compared
to his in real life, you'd notice the difference.

A more pragmatic answer is that I glue up half rings, then sand them
edge on the disk sander to true up the surfaces that mate with the other
half of the ring. One trick; when you sand mark the side that's up,
then when you glue the half rings together, flip one over. That way if
your table/grinder angle isn't exactly 90 degrees the the edges will
still mate up properly. Hope that makes sense.

Sometimes, rather than sanding the edges, I'll mount them on a board
with a hold down and run it through the table saw to true up the edge.
Either way works well.

S'later...

...Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Fred Holder wrote:
To add to Kevin's notes on getting segments to fit, the technique that I adopted
was to glue up the ring trying to get slightly open places opposite if possible.
When the glue was set, I took it to the bandsaw and sawed through the two
opposite joints and reglued them. If there were other open joints, I repeated
this for them. I found it worked very well and cut out all of that trying to
sand things just right. A couple of very good segmented turners that I know have
adopted my technique and say it works very well for them too.

What kind of blade do you have on your band saw Fred? I usually have a
3 tpi, 3/8" which makes for a pretty rough cut. Great for rounding a
half log into a bowl blank, but abysmal for getting good mating surfaces...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Hello Kevin,

When I was doing segmenting, I was using a 10 tpi blade that cut fairly smooth.
With my current bandsaw and the three or four tooth configuration I currently
use, this probably wouldn't work as well. I have some 10 tpi blades that I could
use if I chose to make something segmented. I mostly turn things from solid wood
these days.

Fred Holder wrote:
To add to Kevin's notes on getting segments to fit, the technique that I adopted
was to glue up the ring trying to get slightly open places opposite if possible.
When the glue was set, I took it to the bandsaw and sawed through the two
opposite joints and reglued them. If there were other open joints, I repeated
this for them. I found it worked very well and cut out all of that trying to
sand things just right. A couple of very good segmented turners that I know have
adopted my technique and say it works very well for them too.

What kind of blade do you have on your band saw Fred? I usually have a
3 tpi, 3/8" which makes for a pretty rough cut. Great for rounding a
half log into a bowl blank, but abysmal for getting good mating surfaces...

...Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Fred Holder wrote:
Hello Kevin,

When I was doing segmenting, I was using a 10 tpi blade that cut fairly smooth.
With my current bandsaw and the three or four tooth configuration I currently
use, this probably wouldn't work as well. I have some 10 tpi blades that I could
use if I chose to make something segmented. I mostly turn things from solid wood
these days.

10 tpi - yup, that'll be a nice smooth cut. I have a fine toothed blade
but don't remember how many tpi. Don't put it on much though as 98% of
what I do is rough out bowl blanks and the like. I do mostly solid wood
as well, just because I can sell more of it. Or at least produce more
of it. The segmented stuff would probably sell faster, but it's not a
production item!

....Kevin