Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Default Bandsaw

Hi
I found one bandsaw within my £220 budget, which is a SIP 12" throat bandsaw, the trouble is the cutting height which is only 7.5", is this enough for rounding bowl blanks.

Does anyone know of a bandsaw thats available in the UK that can use a riser block. All the models i've found are fixed height.

Another bandsaw that i've looked at is the Grizzly G1019Z but i don't think this is availble in the uk. To ship it over from USA with import tax etc makes it to exspensive.

If anyone can help with any of the above please let me know
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Sniperborg" wrote in message

Hi
I found one bandsaw within my £220 budget, which is a SIP 12" throat
bandsaw, the trouble is the cutting height which is only 7.5", is this
enough for rounding bowl blanks.

Does anyone know of a bandsaw thats available in the UK that can use a
riser block. All the models i've found are fixed height.

Another bandsaw that i've looked at is the Grizzly G1019Z but i don't
think this is availble in the uk. To ship it over from USA with import
tax etc makes it to exspensive.

If anyone can help with any of the above please let me know

7.5 is halfway on a 15" log. Since you want to cut away the center until
you've got about 3/4 between the sides of the first ring, it probably
equates to a 16 or better.

You can even go a bit more than that if you're working a circle jig. Tilt,
trim either side toward the middle, then the middle to size.

Though a lot of urban timber may be over 16, you'll notice that the heart
gets more problematic with diameter. That's why most commercial hardwoods
are cut around the 16 point, before they start to degrade.

Having used and heartily cursed two older grizzly models, and repaired and
re-repaired three other grant-purchased tools up at the school, I wouldn't
go around the block for them, much less pay import. Brand-new Delta stands
beside the 40 year old Rockwell BS now. The Grizzly is back in the corner
gathering dust.

Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk

I have heard that the grizzly is a bit rough, but for a hobbist is maybe a good start.
The Jet and the Delta seem good though, has anyone managed to get the Jet or Delta in the Uk with a riser block attachement?

Verify my Bandsaw SFPM Calculations Please Wally Blackburn Metalworking 5 November 21st 04 01:21 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
Shopsmith bandsaw tires, no replacements for 1984 model. Jack Straight Woodworking 4 March 2nd 04 03:51 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM