Wood bending for canes?

Old June 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
mac davis

Default Wood bending for canes?

I've been researching on the web, but now I'm looking for anyone with practical
experience...

A friend asked if I could "redo" his favorite cane... natural type branch wood
with a wood sprite carved in.. My wife took it on, sanded and refinished, then
did a little wood burning on it..
It blew him away.. he said that in this area, it was really hard to find
anything but standard canes... the only "cool" stuff available was walking
sticks... and that he had several friends that were always looking for nice
canes in the $50 - $100+ range... (cha-ching)

Has anyone done any wood bending for cane handles?
The web is full of bending info for boats, kayaks, canoes, planes, etc... none
on canes..
Most canes for sale on the web (other than the standard institutional type) are
sticks with separate handles attached... he says that they are weak and awkward,
so we'd like to learn about bending green? wood for canes...

Any info appreciated, and idea, hints, tips, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Old June 23rd 05, 05:33 PM
Brian

check with folks that are building Sheperd sticks the link attached is
someone that I know has worked on problems like what you mention because he
wants that strength.
http://www.harbornet.com/~gmacdonald/

there are a lot of other links on a google too.

Brian

Old June 23rd 05, 05:56 PM
Dan Bollinger

Bending canes is not unlike bending anything. Same process, and in fact, a
little simpler than most. It helps to have a drying fixture(s). You only
have to steam the tips, the rest act as a lever for bending.

Some woods bend better than others. "The Wood Bending Handbook" is out of
print, but available used, see:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search...*listing*title

Dan

Old June 23rd 05, 05:57 PM
mac davis

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:33:47 -0700, "Brian" wrote:

check with folks that are building Sheperd sticks the link attached is
someone that I know has worked on problems like what you mention because he
wants that strength.
http://www.harbornet.com/~gmacdonald/

there are a lot of other links on a google too.

Brian

thanks, Brian.. but it seems like George's sticks all have the heads attached,
not bent out of the cane stock itself??

I'm trying to avoid building a steam chamber, but yak never know...

Old June 23rd 05, 06:17 PM
George

"mac davis" wrote in message

I'm trying to avoid building a steam chamber, but yak never know...

Willow.

A steam chamber is as simple as a kettle and a piece of stovepipe.

At school we had a setup for snowshoes between the heating pipes where we'd
stripped away the (asbestos?) insulation to put the pipe. Guess I'm gonna
die....

Old June 23rd 05, 10:44 PM
Leif Thorvaldson

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

====Well, Mac! You plant a sapling of whatever type of wood you want and
as it grows you start bending the tip over, eventually hanging a weight on
it. Depending on the wood, in five to ten years you'll have a bent cane
handle. It is sorta like Xmas tree farming, ya gotta wait awhile before it
pays off! ( Well, you did say "any" info appreciated, and idea, hits, tips,
etc!)*G*

Leif

Old June 24th 05, 05:49 AM
Ken Moon

"mac davis" wrote in message
I've been researching on the web, but now I'm looking for anyone with
practical
experience...

SNIP........
Most canes for sale on the web (other than the standard institutional
type) are
sticks with separate handles attached... he says that they are weak and
awkward,
so we'd like to learn about bending green? wood for canes...

Any info appreciated, and idea, hints, tips, etc...

=========================
Mac,
Not all shafts with separate handles are weak and awkward. I made a mesquite
cane for my Dad for his 80th birthday. The shaft was a reasonably straight
(there is no such thing as STRAIGHT mesquite) sapling, about 7/8 inch on the
bottom up to about 1-1/4 at the handle end. The handle was larger, about
1-3/4 cut near a fork, so the cut revealed the usual maroon of the mesquite
heartwood. I made a ball on the end of the shaft and a socket in the handle
to receive it. There was a slight taper on the mating surfaces of the shaft
and handle to maximize the mating surfaces. After every thing fit like I
wanted it to, I filled the socket hole in the handle with epoxy and fitted
the shaft into it to set up. I was worried that the setting process of the
epoxy would cause the handle to split, but it did OK. I engraved his name on
one side of the handle and his birth date on the other side, as well as
carving reliefs on the handle for finger grips. Then the whole thing was
finished with clear poly.

SInce my Dad had been a life long woodworker, I knew he would test it for
strength, and he did. He put his full weight ( about 175#) on it, but I knew
it would hold because I'd put my 300# on it before I gave it to him. So the
separate shaft/ handle configuration can be a viable option. I brought the
cane home after his death, so if you're interested, I could try to post
pictures or e-mail them to you.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Old June 24th 05, 06:28 AM
mac davis

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:56:02 GMT, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

Bending canes is not unlike bending anything. Same process, and in fact, a
little simpler than most. It helps to have a drying fixture(s). You only
have to steam the tips, the rest act as a lever for bending.

Some woods bend better than others. "The Wood Bending Handbook" is out of
print, but available used, see:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search...*listing*title

Dan

thanks, Dan... that looks like a great start..
My wife thought that she could do better on the price, so it's her assignment
now.. *g*

Old June 24th 05, 06:32 AM
mac davis

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:17:12 -0400, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

I'm trying to avoid building a steam chamber, but yak never know...

Willow.

A steam chamber is as simple as a kettle and a piece of stovepipe.

At school we had a setup for snowshoes between the heating pipes where we'd
stripped away the (asbestos?) insulation to put the pipe. Guess I'm gonna
die....

I was actually thinking of using the hot tub.. 300 gallons of 101 degree
water...
that, or soaking in water and using the heat gun..

I used to install furnace insulation back in the 70's... got out of it when the
2nd or 3rd one of the older guys got black spots on their lungs.. nasty stuff..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

### micro-FAQ on wood # 040 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 8th 05 08:02 AM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 032 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:02 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 03:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 009 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 May 9th 04 10:42 PM
### Micro-FAQ on Wood # 003 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 4 February 24th 04 11:30 AM