George

Default My Next Gouge

This is almost in the same category as my Serious Tools 1" bowl gouge. Now
that I own some "big iron," or at least medium, I think this may go on my
Fathers' day list. Sort of spans two tools I use regularly - the Sorby 35mm
gouge and the Taylor 1" forged.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=WIP

Arch

George, I don't mean this as cold water, but some multiuse tools
compromise too much utility for a little convenient versatility. This
one may be a valid and advanced concept, but it's expensive to find out.
If you haven't already, try to see one or contact an unbiased user. Be
sure to tell us what you learned.

A much used and loved turning tool will remind you of a happy Father's
Day, a unused disappointment won't. I realize that sometimes we all
just want to buy a certain tool; whether it's good, bad or indifferent.
Of course a good turner can use a bad tool, but why should you?

Just the musing of a COC who's mired in convention, but the handle may
be too short and the forged tang too weak for a large roughing gouge.
The edge seems quite broad for a spindle gouge and the part of the edge
useful as a skew seems narrow. For well over a hundred bucks do (did)
you get three good turning tools or three mediocre ones.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Arch" wrote in message
Just the musing of a COC who's mired in convention, but the handle may
be too short and the forged tang too weak for a large roughing gouge.
The edge seems quite broad for a spindle gouge and the part of the edge
useful as a skew seems narrow. For well over a hundred bucks do (did)
you get three good turning tools or three mediocre ones.

Well, the handle's as long as the roughers I use, the tang over twice the
thickness, and the bevel angle is probably about the same as my forged
gouge. So functionality is not a concern.

I'll bet it fears no overhang at that thickness, though I wonder if the
flat - remember the Hout "bowl skew (?)" might be a bit off my usual attack
angle.

I could adjust, I guess.